close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is a camera body operable without zoom lens?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by charlisity, Apr 1, 2006.

1. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I see Canon camera bodies sold by themselves and others with lens kits. It isn't clear from the ads if the lens kit is needed for the zoom capability only or if the camera can operate without it.

I'm hoping that if I buy just the body, it will come with some standard cover to fill the lens hole and be operable as is. Is this how it works or am I going to need a zoom lense to make it work?

2. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink

When you purchase a camera body that is all you get. That means it has no lenses. People who already own lenses that fit can upgrade by just buying the body. I'm not sure about the "lens kit" but think it may be an adapter to use a lense not from the camera manufacurer.

What are you looking at buying? With the price of fixed lense digital cameras you may be better off with one of those. Depends on what you want to use the camera for.

3. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

Its a gift for a niece that knows how to use the film cameras. She did Yearbook for her four years of high school and still likes photography so I want to encourage her.

I found a Canon T2 with a 28-90 lens for about $280.00 and a Canon Elan 7 body for about the same price. I've read reviews for both and they seem meaningfully better for the Elan. I thought it would be best if I bought her the Elan body instead of the T2 camera and lens kit. What do you think?

4. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink

I suggest you give her something she can use right after opening the box. That means a camera with a lens and some film. Even if the Elan has a better rating it is meaningless if she just gets a body with no lens. Cameras have to have a lens to take a picture so I suggest the T2 because it will be usable right out of the box.

From Canon web site:
    EOS Rebel T2
    Fully Automatic 35mm Autofocus SLR
    7-point High-Speed, Wide-Area Selectable AF w/ Advanced 35-zone Metering
    Ergonomic Design with Secure Grip, Cross-Key Selector & Large Backlit LCD
    Safety Shutter-Release Lock and Camera Shake Warning
    Advanced E-TTL II Autoflash and Enhanced Built-in Flash
    Compatible with 50+ EF Lenses

Sounds like a great camera to me. If she gets serious about pictures she will not want a zoom lens. You give up some clarity to get the zoom feature. For pictures of the kids and the dog it won't matter but for professional pictures a fixed lens is much better. I have a Nikon SLR with telephoto and wideangle lenses. I use the wideangle the most but the telephoto is fantastic for closeup face shots without the subject knowing I took the picture.

Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

5. spober

spober

BuY THE BODY AND LET HER BUY THE LENS.HA HA HA ha ha ha ha .o thats rich,haw haw ha ha tee tee hee hee ha ha hardy harr harr.o man you a camodian!:rofl: :toilet:

6. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

A camera/lens kit means that you get a camera and a lens. Generally, the lens you get isn't the best but it works well enough. Otherwise, you can get the body alone for a better price and pick the lenses you want to suit your needs.

In your case, you might be better off getting her the kit.

7. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

That's what I thought too, so I did it and she couldn't be happier. It had many controls that she was comfortable with and started using it right away. Thanks for all the help.

8. blinkin357

blinkin357

I bought my Canon 20D body plus an EF-S 18-55mm zoom lens for around $1,500 and now I'm looking at a Canon EF 100-400mm zoom lens for $1,500 without the camera body. I'm also looking at a Canon EF 100mm macro lens for $440, a macro ringlight for $420 and an Epson R2400 printer for $850.

I paid $500 for my tripod, $400 for Photoshop software, $2,400 for a computer to run it. I paid $45 to join a local camera club and $100 to join NAPP... the list goes on.

This is one expensive hobby.

9. needlesG19

needlesG19

turn it into a career and it won't be so expensive.

;) :cool:

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Once you do future earnings analysis and compare to what you could be making in 10 years pursuing your current career, it could turn out to be even more expensive than if you left it as a hobby. ;)