Is 5 shots enough? Part II

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TheDreadnought, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Schrag4

Schrag4

I typically shoot my other carry gun, a Ruger SR9c, which is about the same size as the G26. I do not feel undergunned with that gun. Like the G26, it’s small but still big enough to hold and shoot comfortably, and manipulate easily.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  2. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Hi. I'm Bullwinkle and I am a j-frame junkie since 1975 and 5 is enough for me.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

I painted the sights of my first gen (but post recall) LCP and it helped out at 10-15yds.

My second gen stainless LCP had marginally better sights, and painting them, along with the improved trigger geometry, made it as easy to shoot out to 15yds as my snubs. (Both of these comparisons were made running the LCP's through a standard off-duty course-of-fire, where reloading wasn't being done within the same time constraint as most courses-of-fire for duty weapons.)

Reloading the LCP is more difficult for me because the grip frame is so short, which makes seating the mags more awkward. For me the LCP's are more or less a "6 and done" retirement weapon (I don't top off the mags after chambering a round).

I do carry spare loads with my snubs, though. Granted, I'd better hope to have cover available for reloading them using speedstrips, although using speedloaders is similar enough - manipulation and speed - to when I used to carry speedloaders for my duty and off-duty revolvers. Back in those days I always carried 2 extra speedloaders on and off-duty, but in my retirement I've usually come to carry a single extra speedstrip when wandering around my usual places and locations for my activities.

To be fair, nowadays I often carry only a single spare magazine on my person for my pistols, too, regardless of capacity. Over the years, especially in retirement, I've come to suspect that Time (and the shortage of it) is likely to become more of a potential problem than round count.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  4. Schrag4

Schrag4

You’re right about reloading. Since the first gen doesn’t lock back, seating a mag takes special effort because the top round is against the bottom of the slide. I carry 2 spare mags, but like you said, that first mag better at least get me to somewhere safe where I can reload.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Don't take this the wrong way, as it's offered in good humor, but I'd suspect that carrying 2 spare mags for a diminutive .380 like the LCP comes close to being the very definition of optimism. :)

6. BBMW

BBMW

Agreed but...

11 is better than 5, especially when 11 can be carried in the same space as 5 (thinking P365,of course.)

Gray_Rider and fredj338 like this.
  7. WT

WT Millennium Member

No. As far as I can tell the bad guys had no Plan B in the event the potential victim was armed. They had no clue as to the gifts they were about to receive.

We could 'what if' any historical incident forever. It doesn't change what actually happened.

Unlike most 'professionals', Bernie showed what could be done with a J-frame against multiple attackers.

Fast and Furious shooting, using the time needed to pull the revolver's trigger to smoothly turn and aim at each target. He estimated 0.2 seconds for each shot.

No paper targets on wood stands but actual living people at bad breath distance.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  8. Schrag4

Schrag4

Keep in mind that many like me carry just as much (more?) for unfriendly 4-legged threats. It’s surely optimistic to think I would get to the third mag in a gunfight, but who knows how things would unfold if I came across a pack of dogs terrorizing myself or others. The thought of standing there with an empty gun and no more mags is just unsettling to me, in any situation. Those mags are tiny, just like the gun, so there’s no reason not to bring them.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Not disagreeing with you. I've occasionally slipped an extra LCP mag (carried in a soft cigar torch slip sheath) into a pocket. It's just that reloading the short and stubby LCP under stress can become a study in handling a micro-sized assembly. As long as there's some ability to "stand off" and load the itty bitty pistol, having more rounds could, indeed, be handy under some circumstances.

For my own walking where feral, or feral-acting, animal threats might exist, I tend to favor one of my .38 snubs over my LCP's. A little more bullet weight (especially for medium-sized 4-legged threats) to defeat bony structures (skull, shoulders, spine, etc). While I prefer to use JHP's in my LCP's (GDHP, HPJ/BJHP and T-Series), so they do have a nose cavity lip that might "bite" into bone, versus a ball profile that might more easily deflect, the .38SPL JHP's I favor tend to have even larger nose cavities and thus a more prominent cavity "lip" to hopefully "bite" and hopefully be less prone to deflect.

Hey, everything about a handgun is a compromise, and smaller models/calibers can offer an additional subset list of compromises, so it's up to each individual to consider, evaluate and judge which of those various compromises might offer the least amount of compromise for the anticipated circumstances. ;)

Best guess. Granted, some experience and experiential knowledge can help, but it's still likely to be best guess.

Gray_Rider, fredj338 and Out West like this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

Ok you can think that but 4 thugs armed with screw drivers is NOT one with a gun. Yes the outcome would have been very diff. Why I just don't think 5 is enough, we generally don't get to pick our fight. Getz was very lucky. Bad guys with guns & no place to retreat to will just start throwing bullets.
    FWIW, he did not "smoothly turn & aim" in 0.2sec per transition. At contact it is point & shoot. Always better lucky than good.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  11. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Nobody needs 5 rounds to hunt.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  12. Mister X

Mister X

I carry a snub and honestly feel it’s the best tool for the task of civilian self-defense. Not perfect, but the trade-offs make sense to me. Comfort and concealment not being the primary considerations.

Ten years or so of being on gun forums and I see the same debates with absolutely no consideration to looking at the problem from a different perspective. Just repeating the same old thing until the FBI or some gun guru says otherwise. Folks need to think for themselves.

I could care less what’s cops, the military or gun gamers use since what they do have relatively very little in common with what’s relevant to me as an armed civilian.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I tried to click like twice, but couldn't find the double like button :)

Pandaz3, nikerret and John_AZ like this.
  14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Instant bullseye gun :)

[​IMG]

15. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I heard years ago one definition of an optimist is a man with a j frame and a speed loader.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

As a young cop I heard that a careful, prepared cop carried a Chiefs or Dick Special off-duty. (An optimistic one carried a .25 or .380. :p )

I was lugging around a medium-frame .357, a .45 Commander or a .44MAG in those days, so I thought I had the "careful, prepared" base pretty well covered. ;)

Gray_Rider likes this.
  17. fg17

fg17

That’s for sure. I’m guessing after the the first shot they were all scrambling to get away. Totally different than if they were armed with firearms. Heck a guy with some H2H training and a can of pepper spray could have probably handled that situation. Yes I know from experience.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t be comfortable carrying a 5 shot snub, just a poor comparison though. IMHO

Gray_Rider likes this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

I fail to see the comparison. How about walking in grizzly country with a single shot 06 & one round?

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

He was making a joke. Leftists say you don't need high caps to hunt. NY leftist Cuomo said you don't need 10 rounds to hunt.

So the next things leftists might go after is 5 shot revolvers. "Nobody needs 5 rounds to hunt!"

Gray_Rider and glock1097 like this.
  20. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

It is as asnine as this thread.

45 is better than 9mm
    Ford is better than Chevy
    Toyota is better than jeep
    Glock is better than sig
    5 shots is enough for self defense

Ok, continue to pointlessly argue and pontificate away.

CDR_Glock likes this.