Is 5 shots enough? Part II

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TheDreadnought, Nov 18, 2019.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

Uh, while some folks of criminal intent may decide to shy away from deliberately choosing to victimize someone who appears bigger, stronger and more capable (physically) than themselves, it's not something I'd count upon.

Sure, if you look like food, you may stand a better chance of someone thinking you're food. However ...

Some strapping young man of good size, apparent health and visible musculature might still look like food to a criminal who feels they have some other advantage. Sneaking up and using both surprise and sudden violence, and especially if a weapon is possessed by them, seems to instill confidence in more than a few criminals.

And that doesn't take into consideration someone who is under the influence of some mind/mood altering drug, alcohol impairment or just suffering from some mental health issue that may involve them acting violently.

Trying to 'think reasonably' while imagining putting yourself in the mindset of some hypothetical criminal may distract someone from remembering that 'reasonable' isn't often the adjective used to describe criminal mindset, thought process and behavior.

nursetim and FireForged like this.
  2. jonb32248

jonb32248

Very very good!!! Excellent reply and great points, thank you.

3. jonb32248

jonb32248

duplicate

4. jonb32248

jonb32248

A lot of good points in the video.

5. SK2344

SK2344

After two shots I feel OK, three shots a bit dizzy, then four shots, I fall off my chair! So I think five shots is too much for me!

larry_minn, happyguy and rayzer007 like this.
  6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

exactly!

well stated

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

While a $800 dollar tennis racket won't get me to the US Open or Wimbleton, it won't be a limiting factor like a $20 racket either.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

8. FireForged

I will always carry one reload no matter if I think I need it or not. Sometimes that might be 5 +5 or 7+7 or 13+13. I don't lose any sleep over it, I promise. Carrying one reload certainly isn't going to be troublesome and carrying one reload is unlikely to EVER be considered impractical, no matter what the statistical norms suggest about the average gun fight.

9. Biggy1

Biggy1

5 rds *might* or might not be enough these days. Capacity and spray and pray is not the answer, for someone who cannot miss fast enough, *BUT*, there is no penalty for having more than 5 rounds.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    tuica, fredj338, FireForged and 2 others like this.
  10. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I can't give an emphatic YES that 16 rounds will be "enough" to take care of all threats. But five rounds of 38 Special and up will be enough to take care of most threats.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Dude, if you're good enough that you need and can utilize the qualities of the more expensive racquet, I'm not playing you. :p

happyguy likes this.
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Quirky internet connection and an inadvertent double tap. Thanks.

13. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

I think of it this way, we do not know just how many bad guys will be present nor do we know how many have a firearm. So, in one way I feel that 12-17 in 1 mag is plenty without a spare mag. In another way how many bad guys really stick around once it goes down or they watch their homeboy drop?
    Depending on how I feel when leaving the house and whatever my attire is 12 is the minimum for comfort. Thankfully, after carrying for 28 years I have NEVER been put to the test.

nursetim likes this.
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Wait a minute, you mean you posted a duplicate, right?

I thought I'd done it, as I've missed seeing it happen now and again when my internet (or GT) goes wonky.

:animlol:

15. jonb32248

jonb32248

Actually it was more of lost concentration. Distracted by the bad guy i had to put down.

16. tuica

tuica

Sometimes one is. Sometimes 13 ain’t.

glock1097 and jmontgomery like this.
  17. BBMW

BBMW

Just down them all quickly and wait for the effect to set it.

You can try this with 15 shots also.

tuica and happyguy like this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Yet there is a reason women are attacked more than men & older men attacked more than younger men. Predators are the same, animals or people, easy & safe is always better than difficult & dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    tuica likes this.
  19. FireForged

I do not believe that is true at all. I have never found that to be the case in my experience in dealing with crime, criminals and victims. It goes without saying that there are going to be ebbs and flows in regards to areas of the Country, Region of the World and the passing of time. Generally though, male victims are nearly always the majority.

It has been common knowledge for decades that males typically experience a higher victimization rate in all types of violent crime except rape and sexual assault.

Generally speaking, I believe males victims are easily the majority in crimes relating to Homicide, Robbery, Theft other than shoplifting , Non-Domestic Assaults, General crime relating to violence.

As far as AGE goes, I again disagree with any assertion that (old) people are targeted for serious crime more often than young people( regardless of gender). That simply does not line up with anything I have ever learned or experienced. In my mind I am using 51+ as older and anything less to be "young". If I had to just throw out an "at risk" age group, I would say somewhere in the area of 16-25 is the most likely to be victimized by violent crime. I cant speak to any scientific degree but my impression has always been that 50+ experience substantially less violent crime in general ( at least by comparison). As always, this is just one old country boys idea of the world I live in. I am no stat hound.

Females victims seemingly dominate the domestic violence related crimes but that number should be excluded from this discussion simply because they are not "selected" by the offender as one is in public involved "street crime". They should also be excluded in regards to crimes where personal relations are a driving element( revenge, jealousy, retribution) of the crime itself. I take our discussion to involve "Street crime".

I am sure that you are basing your proclamation on some source but based on more than 30 years working in criminal justice.. I don't buy it. That's just my opinion

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  20. fredj338

fredj338

FF, men don't get raped, few get robbed for their purses. Rape cases alone are quite high annually, certainly a violent crime. Most rape victims are certainly selected. I know you know this. When was the last time anyone assaulted a police dept or NRA convention? Just saying.
    Homicide numbers are quite skewed with gang age victims making up a large part of those. Still, just a cursory look at the FI crime stats show women are quite a high volume of victims of violence. Not saying you don't have a diff perspective but LEO work in one place is not the same as another. hence the reason some will never use their service weapon in 25y career.