Is 450SMC Enough Gun for a Turkey?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Cali-Glock, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Last evening I was getting ready to head head out for a meeting when I saw a bunch of Turkey's scratching in my lawn. My mind was spinning with ideas! mmm wild turkey dinner!

I walked into the kitchen and asked my wife (who was literally waiting to give me a kiss as I walked out the door) if she would like a wild turkey. She hesitantly responds in the afirmative, waiting to hear the rest of the story.

I run and grab my G21 which was/is loaded with Triton 450SMC 230Grain JHP (1000FPS IIRC) -and as we walk out the front door I ask if my wife would clean/dress the turkey if I shot it (I had to be at my meeting in less than 10 minutes and would not return until after my normal bedtime.) She responds negatively; well not all negatively: she is happy to cook the turkey, but not dress/clean it. We were debating the matter as I drew a bead; and considered my options and concerns about taking the shot:

1: That is when I remembered I had 450SMC and not just 45ACP in the gun 2: I considered the fact that I had no hearing protection on, and I am already significantly hard of hearing and the 450SMC is going to be just that much worse on my ears than 45. 3: Wondering what I am going to do with a dead bird which needs to be dressed when I am going to be gone all evening 4: Wondering if I can actually make this head shot on a moving bird at 20 yards. (They had begun to wander off when we came outside.) 5: Wondering if I have any books handy which my wife might be able to use to guide her in dressing the Turkey 6: Wondering what fight might ensue if I shoot the Turkey, order my wife to dress it, and hop into my SUV and tear out of there as I am already late for my meeting. 7: Wondering how ticked off I'll be I do #6 above and then return home to find the turkey still laying on my lawn. 9: While considering all of the above, I was already arguing/trying to convince my wife to clean the bird for me while trying to hold my bead on the rear-most turkey’s head while squeezing the trigger (the trigger was a few tenths of an ounce away from breaking)... when the flock finally wandered out of sight behind a 30 foot tall (and very wide/low) Blue Spruce….

So my question is:

Is Triton 450SMC enough cartridge / pistol for a Turkey? ;) ;Q ;f ;a ;f

2. noway

noway

Unless the turkey was covered with armor, no problem. You don't need that much firepower to take down a typical 25lb or less bird.

A few person I know have shot gobblers with 9mm and 40sw and use a std JHP brought the bird down with a center body hit and getting a wing or better yet a leg.

IMHO: Shooting a turkey is very hard with a handgun.

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Actually I was going for a head shot. Body shot whold have been no problem; the head shot which is what I wanted to pull of is a bit iffy.

I hate to think of the damage the 450SMC would do to the poor Turkey if I made a body shot.

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Pistols are not allowed to shoot turkeys in NV. Shotguns only. Plus turkey season isn't until October. Then add that hens still have poults, jenny's and jakes to take care. :(

5. noway

noway

{ Actually I was going for a head shot. Body shot whold have been no problem; the head shot which is what I wanted to pull of is a bit iffy.
    }

I hope you are kidding.

The head is a veryhard target to hit with a handgun (period). It's hard to hit it with a shotgun at extended range and to get a clean kill. The body is what you want to go for. It's much bigger, much less movement and offers a bigger target to shot at. You hit the bird in the body & it is a solid hit , the bird is down. You get his wing and/or leg he is probably down and flapping around, but least he can't fly or run very well.

if you watch a wild turkey , it's head is always moving. Up down, left ,, right ...etc..... That's how they stay alive.

An "old turkey hunter" wise saying to me many years ago was " The only time a turkey head will not be moving , is if it's dead!"

6. noway

noway

{Pistols are not allowed to shoot turkeys in NV. Shotguns only. Plus turkey season isn't until October. Then add that hens still have poults, jenny's and jakes to take care.
    }

FL is bless in that we have a "fall" and "spring" gobbler seasons and most areas allow the taking on the osceola during archery. The jenny might have their poults but we hunt toms and the reg says "bearded gobblers" to be specific, so sex isn't an issue. btw:My 1st osceola was a bearded female.

Pistols,shotguns,muzzleloaders,handguns,crossbows and a spear would all be legal in flordia. ( the spear wouldn't be a wise choice thu ;f )

7. TScottW99

Virginia has a fall and spring season also. It's just a little early and illegal to be shooting turkeys. Some hens still have very young poults and jenny's/jakes. If a brood hen was killed now when the season isn't even in, the poults would die and the future for the jenny's and jakes would be about non-existent.

8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

While the post was in jest, what I wrote was the truth: I really was considering a head shot. The shot was iffy, but far from impossible. I agree a body shot is more reasonable, but that round is WAY too much for a bird. Shotgun head shot? At that distance? I would be sorely embarassed if I missed. ;f FWIW I am glad I did not take the shot 1: It is not Turkey season 2: I don't even have a current license.

9. noway

noway

{Shotgun head shot? At that distance? I would be sorely embarassed if I missed. }

You won't believe how many turkeys have been missed with a shotgun at ranges above 25yrds. Most are from hunters that got excited and jump the shot and didn't wait or never pattern their load.

I hate to admit I fell into that category in early hunts, and since then have learned better.

10. TScottW99

Twenty to Twenty - Five yards is my goal when turkey hunting. Granted I have taken one at 38 yards.

My current set up; Benelli Nova with a Primos "Jelly Head Choke" and using Remington 3" #6 Hevi-Shot puts 220 pellets in a 7" circle at 30 yards with 170 + hits in a turkey head target ;f

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Every time I've camo'd for turkey I like them in my lap before I shoot them.

Hard to miss.

Had a friend whose ear was almost blown out as he thought bird was in front and came from behind the tree gobbling into his ear!!!!

Shotun by the door during the season.

You could feed them occassionally so you have birds around and when in season go just off of your property and claim one. Not to sporting but hey, my three sons 10 and under just caught their first bluegills two hours ago. Puny little 8 ounce things - but we'll fry them up proudly nevertheless.