close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is 357 SIG too much for a Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by damienv, Aug 9, 2002.

1. damienv

damienv

I know that this is is sacralige, but I have a question.

I have a glock 32 and have about 10,000 rounds through it. I have cracked a slide, broken a trigger hinge pin and broken the disasembly lever spring. Compared to my friends 9mm glocks, that is a lot of problems. Glock did right by me, but I am starting to wonder whether there is a much shorter service life with this caliber. I hear that it is definately banging up sig pistols quicker.

Thoughts?

2. REFLEX

REFLEX

Just wondering did you by chance use a stronger recoil spring to try and dampen some of the recoil? What kind of loads do you usually shoot?

3. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Damien,

I'll have to agree with Reflex regarding the ammunition. Are you using hot reloads or factory manufactured ammunition? The Glock in my Avatar is a G22 that was manufactured back in 91 it now has a KKM 357 SIG barrel and I originally fired over +25K (175PF) 40 S&W and over 10K(+6k 140PF -- +4K 173PF) 357 SIG and no problems to date. BTW the only things that have been done to the gun has been to replace the original adjustable sights with Trijicons, replaced the magazine release with a JP Enterprise magazine release, DMW Trigger Job and inserted a Seattle Slug. This gun actually reminds me of the Eveready Bunny...

4. damienv

damienv

Standard recoil spring. Factory ammo only. Usual assortment of Lawmen, Blazer, PMC and Golddots.

DOn't get me wrong. I still love my 32 but I am wondering how long she is going to live. The only failure that caused a malfunction was the disassembly widget breaking. The slide flew off the front of the gun. Serious malfunction with no tactical fix I am aware of.

;)

5. REFLEX

REFLEX

You could probably extend the life a little by putting in a heavier recoil spring.

ryucasta- are you saying that your shooting 357 sig with a non reinforced frame? What kind of recoil rod/spring do you use?

6. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Reflex,

I'm still using the original Glock Guide rod/Spring that came with the gun back in 91. Mind you I do carry spare factory guide rods and springs and I also have a Stainless Guide Rod and a 20 pound spring but to date no problems after firing over +35K in assorted PF rounds.

7. W. Bell

W. Bell

Im using an uncaptured 22lb Wolff spring in my G32.
    Works just fine.
    For what it is worth..................WEB

8. 1iron

1iron

I have a 22lb ISMI recoil spring in my 31. The slide speed is slower than with the stock spring. I think most of your problems are related to the front cocking serations you had cut into your first slide. You lowered the mass of the slide without adding spring weight. Or not

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

You might be on to something... glocks handle 10 mm better than most, but that is with the even stronger and larger frame. I would change out the mainspring to a 22 lb captured stainless unit. The spring helps and the bit of added weight from the stainless rod helps too. The compensated version would bleed off a bit of speed and wear as well. I think glock will stand behind your gun , so it is a matter of convienance . Try another 10000 rounds and get back to us... with the carnage...

10. noway

noway

A easy fix to those reliable problems might be a g20/29 with a conversion barrel. I figure the bigger thicker slide would hold up more than any G31/32/33 slide.

{The slide flew off the front of the gun.}

I still don't see how the slide just flew off the front of the gun? A broken or missing disassembly spring would just allow the slide to move but not fly off the gun if you try to pull the trigger. You are correct that if that spring or locking tab is broken or missing you are up a creek without a paddle and a canoe with no easy fix. I started carry one of them along with the trigger reset spring.

11. damienv

damienv

Interesting theory on the cocking serrations. The last several thousand rounds have gone through a stock slide.

So what recoil spring should I use??

THanks,

12. roygun

roygun

My G-33 has the Wolff recoil reduction kit with 22lb spring. It's ported......only problem I continue to have is keeping the metal front sight from coming loose. I guess I need to go to Gorilla Loc-tite. The G-33 has been rock solid with many rounds thru it. It handles all my reloads just fine. Ya know the operating pressure of the 357SIG is 40,000PSI........a .40S&W is 35,000PSI We're just high pressure kind of folks and sometimes things go south.....just my humble opinion. I just love this caliber, fun to shoot, fun to reload, fun to go BANG!;6

13. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

40000 psi is high pressure. For comparison sake... what is the pressure of 9mm and 45 acp which is way lower...

14. noway

noway

9mm = 35K
    9+P = 38.5K
    9+p+ =anythingover42K,unregulated,no imits
    10mm = 37.5k
    45ACP = earlier specs 18K , raised to 21K
    45ACP +p = 23K (IIRC)

So yes a 357sig is high pressure when compared to SOME other calibers. But it's isn't when compared to rilfe caliber and other calibers like the 454casul and 480. These other calibers easily runs into the 50K+ range.

I also find it strange when people tag the 40S&W a high pressure round. It's "max" operating pressure is the same as a 9mm std loading.

15. damienv

damienv

Last night I went through about 200 rounds of Blazer and Lawmen. The trigger hinge pin broke AGAIN!!!! Less then 1000 factory rounds on this pin. What gives?

For the record, the gun kept working, but still...

Any thoughts?

D

16. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Damien,

The max pressure for the 357 SIG is around 45K which is about 10K higher than 40S&W or standard 9x19 loads. It strikes me as odd that your having this problem since the model you have was originally chambered for 357SIG caliber unlike the ones I have which are all conversions. If I was in your shoes I would be contacting Glock and have them give you a new gun since it seems like you have a lemon. Since your located in California, if you still don’t get satisfaction I would take them to small claims court since the dollar amount in question is less than 5k and this is a case you’ll easily win. Anyway that’s my 2 cents.

17. damienv

damienv

Actually, I moved back to America. I am in Washington State now.

Very weird, to have had these issues all of a sudden. I had come to trust this piece with my life (in fact it saved it once), and now I have doubts creeping in...

D

18. roygun

roygun

ryucosta is dead on right. take his advice & call GLOCK or have the pistol checked by a Glock Armorer. Your pistol should not fail like that......mine has been stone reliable and it is highly modified....best wishes and keep us advised how this turns out for you.:(

19. roygun

roygun

20. gunz

gunz