close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is 35 years old too late to get involved in law enforcement?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harlenm, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I tried when I was in my early 20's and was unsuccessful in getting a job.

We are thinking about moving out of CT and to the Charlotte area, so I thought maybe I'd give it a shot and apply for the Charlotte Police Dept.

While I'm not terribly out of shape, I am a few lbs overweight(maybe 5-10) and would need to lose that and get in shape to pass the agility test.

Is my age going to be an issue, I'm sure I am going to be competeting against people 10+ years younger than me.

2. fusegsp

fusegsp

I think you need to meet a standard, rather than compete with anyone else. I may be wrong. I don't think 35 is too old to become a police officer. It's been done. No reason you can't do it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

3. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Based on what I've seen watching "COPS" being overweight doesn't seem to be a disqualifier. :)

I kid.

On a serious note. I had dreams of joining the FBI academy, until I realized I'd never be able to run my fat behind around their obstacle course in time. Although maybe they are less stringent with the IT nerds they hire than the field agents.

4. harlenm

I weight 172, would like to be 165, so I'm not fat!!!!!!

I'm just worried that I'd be at a disadvantage competing against younger people.

5. gigab1te

gigab1te

I know three or four officers who started later than that and who are true assets to their departments. With that said, I wouldn't let much more time fly by if this is your dream.

On the plus side, you'll be bringing life experience and hopefully more mature judgement with you. On the negative side, you will have some physical demands (they won't be as a bad as you are imagining), you have more background for your employer to wade through during the hiring process, and you'll be reporting to superiors who may be your age or slightly younger.

I'll edit this to add (after reading the post below me) that hiring people out of the military is also pretty common.

6. bmoore

bmoore

Not out here, San Diego Sheriffs take people after they did their 20 in the military. Only thing you have to worry about out here is all the right wing nuts taking your pay and benefits. I say go for it. San Diego Sheriffs need like seriously 4,000 deputies in like 6 years or something really crazy like that.

7. Drjones

Drjones

Yep, you're right. We want police, EMT, firefighters to work for free - literally no pay - and the only thing stopping us from making that happen is the benevolent left.

8. harlenm

Well, the Charlotte-Mecklenberg PD starts at $40k, so it's not that great of a pay, but it's a start, and it's a job that will get me out of CT!

9. OlliesRevenge

OlliesRevenge

I'm pretty sure age discrimination is against the law in any circumstance, although proving it could be difficult. At the federal level, according to the EEOC, age 40 is the magic number whereby you become a "protected class" just like racial minorities. Check your state laws as well.

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

10. harlenm

I think next week I will call the recruiter and speak to them. I need to join a gym and get in shape too. Time is so difficult, but a few days a week might be doable.

11. ScaryPerryDawsy

ScaryPerryDawsy

I recently went through the hiring process for my sheriff's dept here in Florida. I'm 40 and can tell you that the PAT course I ran was demanding but not that bad. The academy is another story. I will tell you that the psychological exam, polygraph and board reviews are what you will want to focus on. The single most important thing with all of it is to be honest! Good luck with your possible endeavour. :thumbup:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Should not be a problem.....a few friends of mine have done it and are successful.

13. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

Not even, you'll be fine (a guy in my academy was 46 when he graduated), just don't train to pass the physical tests during the application process, train for the academy.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

There was a guy in my class who was 49; he was in better shape than alot of guys since he had been a coach before that. Some agencies do have an upper age limit, other agencies are flexible and use testing results.

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

For any agency that you're focused on, I would also find out how long (timewise) the process is expected to be before actually getting hired. Are we talking 6 months or so, or (say) two years or so?

16. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Not too old, at all.

17. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

I've known quite a few folks older than 35 who have done it. I don't believe it is really that uncommon.

18. Rancher

Rancher

Not to old but what qualifications do you have? If you have any college degree it will help. It don't make you "smarter" than the next guy but shows a dedication on your part to better yourself. My former department was big on education.

Lots of guys now with 4 year degrees and/or military service looking at LE jobs. Life experience is great but hopefully you can bring more than just that to the table.

Good luck. It's one of those jobs you do for yourself because you love it.

Rancher

19. harlenm

I have a BA in crimimal justice.

20. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

The CMPD officer I spoke to told me that the process takes about 12 to 18 months.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.