close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is 1911 a must have for my "collection"?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Small Tony, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Small Tony

Small Tony

Sorry if this title is the run of the mill thread lately. I am looking to add a family member but don't know much on the 1911 platform.

I see some compacts like Kimber Ultra II in the 1911 platform but this platform meant for full size?

I see a full size Para that holds 14 rounds of .45 but it is considerably cheaper than most other 1911 that hold 7 rounds.

Any input as to what I should be looking for in a 1911 purchase?

I really don't want to spend over say $1,200. Thank you.

2. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

No pistol collection is complete without a 1911. If funds are tight, look for used unit or go with one of the lower priced Springfields, or RRA units, just don't scrimp too much where a bad unit may turn you off from the pistol. If you're like most people, your first 1911 won't be your last, and you'll want several variations on the theme. Take your time and look around a bit, you'll find one in your price range. For the first one, I'd suggest a full sized, steel model with decent sights.

Then a Commander size,

Then an Officers size,

Then an alloy frame with ambi safety....

on and on....:supergrin:

3. Kozel

Kozel

Hundred + year old, obsolete design. Why would anybody need that?

Them Paras have well deserved reputation for reliability problems. For $1200 you can buy two+ G21s and almost two HK USPs

(OK let the ****storm begin!)

4. tango44

tango44

A 1911 is a must have for any collection, Government or Commander size. .45 Single stack of course.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

1911's are nice, but I let purpose dictate which guns I buy. I have a 1911 I bought as a duty gun and a 1911 I built for IDPA/CDP and that's the only reason I have them. For carry I can get plenty of guns that hold more rounds, are more reliable, have fewer controls, cost less and weigh less, so the 1911 isn't really a practical consideration for self defense, in my opinion.

If you are a collector, rather than a shooter, then a 1911 is probably a basic part of a handgun collection.

In short, both Kozel and Tango44 are correct.

6. pittrj

pittrj

I don't think a 1911 is a requirement for a collection. You define your collection and thus define when it's complete. It's really up to you. If you think a 1911 is needed to complete your collection, then by all means buy one.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the 1911. But, I do have one in my collection. It's the pistol my Dad carried in Vietnam, eventually bringing it home with him. And that's the only reason it has a place in my collection. Again, it's my collection and I have the prerogative of defining what goes into it and when it's complete. Well, within legal and financial limits.

7. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

No gun is a "must have".

I have two although I think that the platform sucks. Why do I have two although I don't care for the design? Well, one of them was offered to me at a price that I can't refuse and the other was for grins and giggles. Now I can talk crap about M1911 and quote first hand experience. Kind of like why I own a Glock.

9. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Options are good. This is a 100 year old design...

[​IMG]

Or get 10 of the more modern ... for the same price.

[​IMG]

Why is it always about PRICE?

[​IMG]

10. eddief4

eddief4

11. Girevik61

Girevik61

IMHO, 1911's are the most Overrated pistols of all time.

There's way too much "folklore" about how great 1911's are.

12. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

So is a 1964 AC Cobra. If you've never driven one, unfounded comments are just idle chatter.

13. tx787

tx787

If they aren't a "must have" they are a "must try" go rent one of high quality and see what you think. Try and rent one that is full size and all steel and between $700-$1100 retail.

In my opinion the gun was made for a full size platform and I would not suggest getting a compact one, although many many people have them and like them a lot. Don't get a double stack one, once you start veering that far from the original design you really are better off with a more modern design like a Glock, Sig, HK, FNH...

You can get a great 1911 for under $1,200, I think full size Kimbers in their basic lineup, Custom IIs and Stainless IIs are great values for under $1,000 including tax. They don't have a perfect reputation but if you read carefully a lot of the issues are with either their specialized models, aluminum frames or compact models, or can be fixed by using a Wilson magazine, and/or by properly taking care of your gun.

Again there are only a few things more personal and individualized than buying guns but you don't have to be a 1911 guy or a Glock guy, you can be both and that doesn't mean you have an identity crisis.

14. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Go ask the same question in the 1911 part of GT.
    You'll actually get positive responses about how good a pistol it is.
    Not BS opinions about how crappy it supposedly is.
    Yeah, only seven rounds and it being heavy is pretty much the only downfalls.

Buy one, you can't go wrong with a good 1911.
    Just don't buy Taurus.

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I agree that $1k is near the top of the bell curve for a basic, reliable, sweet shooting 1911. And if yer a few hundred dollars short, just wait a month or two. Besides, it give you more time to do further research and ask questions. :)

I annoyed the hell out of Bac for six months before I bought my first 1911. :supergrin:

16. YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Shoot a friend's or rent one. Then you will know. You'll either be hooked on 1911's or you'll feel free to move on to other options for your collection.

Me? I've got two, a Colt USGI and a Springfield LW Champion. Love 'em both, but probably won't add any more as these two are enough for me.

Now, I'm looking to add .41 mag or .44 mag sgl action revolver. That won't make sense to many here, but it does to me. Gotta go with what makes you feel good.

Rick

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's what I'm talking about. A proper handgun instead of the nancy boy toys like M1911s and Glocks.

18. hatidua

hatidua

Necessary? - NO.

Neither is any other handgun.

Overrated? - only to the ignorant.

19. ctfireman

ctfireman

Check out the loaded springfield, a real beauty for under $1000.

20. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:laughabove::animlol: