Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With declared ammo shortages, millions of ”new” shooters and now another ban, is 1k for each rifle and 500 for each pistol still enough?

What do you think?

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Depends on the rifle caliber and the handgun caliber; and how many of each you own and shoot regularly..

For my AK, I have many thousands of rounds. Ordinary hunting rifles, not so much.

Hand gun calibers I like and shoot regularly, again thousands of rounds for each.

Some rifles and handguns, only a few boxes of ammo. But these are almost never shot.

And then, there are shotguns.

·
Registered
26,178 Posts
With declared ammo shortages, millions of ”new” shooters and now another ban, is 1k for each rifle and 500 for each pistol still enough?

What do you think?
I’d say preferably 2500rds pref, 1500 low end of “comfort zone”. Every 500 you train wity

500rds pistol is good, I’d like to purchase training ammo as I trained to save the 500.

Conserve the stash and spread out the replenishment cost and have some cushion for dry spells

·
Formerly retired EE.
18,317 Posts

What do you think?
Shooting skills are perishable. If you don't continue to shoot yours will degrade.

I go through 200 rounds of 9mm every time I visit the range.

·
Formerly retired EE.
18,317 Posts
I would think at least 10k rounds per weapon. :whistle:
My number was 3 to 5K in major calibers. 9mm, 5.56x45mm, 5.7x28mm.

Rimfire? Couldn't tell you. I have given away 3k of 22 lr.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Still enough for what?

There used to be a time when ammo was cheap and available every time I went to Walmart I bought 500 rounds of CCI mini mags just because. I bought 1,000 rounds Of 9 mm or 7.62 from sgammo every time there was a sale....remember those?

Ammunition doesn’t go bad if stored correctly. The way things are going I feel like I will be passing it down to my nephews and nieces For the day they need it.

IMO you are missing a few zeros.

·
Registered
16,680 Posts
Depends on what your areas of concern are and how much/often you shoot.. do I think its enough? Sure, BUT it depends..is it a rifle you use and or shoot a lot? or iit more like a gun you just have but seldom use....1000 rounds for my M1 garand is fine...i break it out 1-3 times a year and shoot some through it normally around 80 rounds...but for my .22lr id like more than 1K. same with 9mm we went through 200-250 2 days ago at the range..

this also said I dont shoot nearly as much as i used to..when i can shoot like I want to and just go to the store buy a box or 5 of ammo so i dont have to touch my supply its all good..when I cant I cut WAY WAY back on shooting....I hadnt shot 9mm till Monday this week...since probably around valentines day.we had taken the .22's out once between now and then but ive cut my shooting probably to 1/4 what it used to be

1 - 20 of 125 Posts