Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
10,620 Posts
If you are not qualified to teach, then you shouldn't be teaching.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are not qualified to teach, then you shouldn't be teaching.
I understand their argument, that the general requirements don't pertain to their particular subject matter, but isn't that the argument we all used when we were in school? "Why do I need to learn x if I'm never going to use it?" I just find it utterly hilarious that it's come back to bite them in the butt...

"mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell"

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
my youngest son (now 34) had a middle school ENGLISH teacher who wanted to "AXE" me a question.
we were there because he had a test that was incorrectly graded. answers marked wrong that were 100% correct.
good news is the lady corrected her errors, my son got the "A" he earned.
my thought, how TF could someone without basic ENGLISH skills be teaching the subject?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t they just certify in the subject they teach?
Apparently there's a general knowledge requirement, and they keep failing it.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
A cursory glance at the article suggested to me some were having problems with the math part of the general knowledge test. I would be less concerned with that for the drama teacher than for the guy who seemed to be a business teacher. Although the article did also indicate his students had some of the highest passing rates for a business technology certification.

·
Banned
10,620 Posts
No mention of the multiple 1000s that took the test and passed. My own profession requires testing every 2 years.

/
Every year my dept requires each employee pass a skills and protocol test. I haven't had an issue with that for 30 years now.

·
Banned
10,620 Posts
I understand their argument, that the general requirements don't pertain to their particular subject matter, but isn't that the argument we all used when we were in school? "Why do I need to learn x if I'm never going to use it?" I just find it utterly hilarious that it's come back to bite them in the butt...

"mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell"
I said that about math and science. I use it everyday for a career that I chose. Seems as if some of the teachers only know how to multiply with teenage boys.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Math seemed to get many of them. In our pre-hiring testing, math seems to be the biggest hurdle for our applicants. Our schools have made math so complicated and skip basic math to get to Algebra and advanced math courses they are failing our students. Our test includes fairly simple word problems that require math the regularly stump young folks with at least some college. The older applicants seem to have a better passing rate.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Firing a perfectly good drama teacher just because she is bad at math, during a teacher shortage, probably isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It doesn't surprise me.

These dummies probably got through school and into college before all of those other teachers were busted having "grading" parties where they would change the incorrect test answers en masse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts