close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Iron Horse Air Compressor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nikerret, Oct 24, 2012.

1. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

What are your thoughts/opinions/experiences on Iron Horse brand air compressors? They are made by Wood Industries, Inc.

I am looking at a 60 gallon tank that runs 11.2 CFM @ 90 PSI and I can get it for around $450 after taxes from a local store. I don't need that much air, right now, but for the price I'm looking at, it seems stupid to get a good 20 gallon tank that I will likely grow out of.

My budget is pretty hard at $500. In the smaller tanks (also a lot less CFM), I can have my pick, but in the large tanks (and CFM) I only have a few choices. It has to be local as the travel or to pay for shipping quickly puts me over budget.

I live in a small town, no Lowes or Home Depot.

My options right now are:

Iron Horse $457
    http://www.eaglecompressor.com/air_compressor_model.php?recordID=277

or

Puma $519
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455341_200455341

or

Campbell Hausfeld $536
    http://www.chpower.com/productdetail/shop-air-60-gallon-air-compressor_vt6275

The Puma is popular around here, but the two people I know that have them have had completely opposite experiences. One: no problems. The other: engine failure and issues keeping PSI up.

The CH is the most common brand I've seen around, but is generally regarded as lower quality (as a brand).

The Iron Horse is the mystery. Everyone has "heard" of them, but no one I know has any direct experience using them.

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Well, let me try to squeeze this in between all the responses....

I went ahead and picked up the Iron Horse last night, got it running, today. It's a champ at airing up tires. I have to buy some tools to get much else done.

Had to take off a few of the fittings and tape them up, but seems to be holding good air for the last hour. The noise isn't too bad.

3. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Make sure you drain condensate from the tank regularly, and it wouldn't hurt to put a moisture trap inline.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have a cheap ( I paid $400) 5 HP 60 gal vertical compressor I have worked the crap out of for 40 years. It's still great even after a car rebuilding business for 9 years.

I went through the fittings and made sure every one was sealed tight. I then put 5 Galvanized pipe 8' sections, up and down the wall at 6" intervals for a cooling trap (petcocks at each turnaround at the bottom), and it wrings all the moisture out of the air, works like a dream

I have not shut the air or power off to the lines for 40 years and everything is great. Cheap can surprise you.