close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Iron Butt Ride

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Ralphumor, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

Just finished my paper work for the Bun Bunner 1500. 1500 Miles in 36 hours or less. I tried to do it in less than 24 but HWY13 in MD and DE is not meant for steady pace at 70 mph. Plus the hour I sat in traffic in Baltimore at 1230 at night. Then the thunder storms in the Mountains of MD. It was so foggy that I could not see anything but the reflectors on the road...If oncomming traffic was there all I could see was blinding lights. I got to thinking that this is really dangerous even at 45 mph. I rode for 21 straight hours slept for 3 and rode 500 more miles. I LOVE TO RIDE...85 Goldwing did GREAT! I would love to do another run this summer if time and money permit....Need to find someone to ride with my buddies here all chicken out at the last minute. I understand though. I still have a smile on my face and Im ready to ride. :supergrin: :dancing: :banana:

2. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

LD riding is something that I'd really like to do in the future. I just got the email on the 2007 IBR but I can't commit to anything 15 days out, let alone 15 months out. And while I'm sure the Connie would perform well, I'd much rather do it on a Wingbago. But it will be quite a while before I can afford one.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

In 1994, I rode my Gold Wing from Green River, Utah home to here on the coast - 980 miles in 21 hours. I could've had an even 1,000, but the highway ended at the ocean.;) No way could I do a Saddle Sore on the Concours, but it is looking like it will be on the way out and I might be back in the Wing world.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Back in the early 1990s, a 60-something fellow did the Iron Butt on a GSXR750. That dude didn't have a butt of iron. It's a freaking butt of granite!!!

I'd love to do the Iron Butt but I can barely get away one week at a time from work much less two weeks in a roll.

5. Texas T

Had dinner last night with an ST1300 rider that did 1761 miles in 23 hours 55 minutes. It was a Border 2 Border run with some extra miles thrown in for good measure.

I would be toast. :shocked:

6. norton

norton

HaH! 2 guys did the Iron Butt on Triumph Bonnevilles! No not the Japanese like ones, the originals, oil leaks, prince of darkness and all. If you ever had the "privelege" to ride one of these vibrating, unreliable beasts,you can appreciate what a feat that ride was. Makes riding a GSXR, even for a 60 year old, look like a walk in the park.

7. Texas T

In 2005 a Sportster finished in 70th, a Vespa PiaggioX9 was in 68th place, a 250 Ninja in 59th, a R100/7 was in 40th, so there's no shortage of folks riding less than comfortable bikes for the long haul.

8. Texas T

See the tube hanging near the exhaust pipe? That's on Morris Kruemcke's bike. It has been said that Morris has ridden over 1200 miles without putting a foot on the ground (38 gallons of fuel on his customized Wing). So can you now guess what that tube is for? ;)

[​IMG]