close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ireland. Hindu woman in throes of miscarriage denied abortion

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Nov 15, 2012.

1. RedTop

RedTop

I know. It makes you wonder why they moved to Ireland in the first place. :dunno:

2. TK-421

TK-421

Probably because their job in Ireland is what allowed them to be able to afford to live there?

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

Yes, I supposed you are correct. I just doubt this is a standard miscarriage case. Why did fetus that still had a heartbeat cause an infection?

If the baby is miscarrying I do not see a good reason to let it fester.

4. norton

norton

Its a good thing for democrats the soon to be aborted fetus can't vote.

5. Altaris

Altaris

All religion tries to bring people back into the stone ages. Religious laws like Sharia, and hard line anti-abortion laws like this do nothing but harm people.

6. TK-421

TK-421

I honestly think we'd have flying cars if not for religion. Hell, the Romans had better concrete than we do today, we still haven't figured out exactly how to replicate it. And if it hadn't been for the dark ages, we might have been able to keep all the good technological advances, and grow upon them, instead of having to start all over.

7. Sneegrl

Sneegrl .....

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

According to this morning's Irish Times the woman offered to pay for the abortion herself out-of-pocket and was still denied. This had absolutely nothing to do with "socialized medicine." HH

9. Andy W

Andy W

I don't know what to say. The whole situation as it unfolded is totally ridiculous. Nobody likes abortion but situations like this are why it should be legal.

10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Ireland. Asians. Maybe their skin colour played a role?

11. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

[​IMG]

:whistling:

12. goldenlight

goldenlight

Wow, the derp is strong in this one.

13. RicoGordo

RicoGordo

The fetus was dying, and probably had some dead tissue. Dead tissue gets infected, or the fetus may have actually been overrun by an infection. Either way, she likely had rotting flesh in her uterus.

You are correct in supporting immediate termination. Most US state law considers human euthanasia to be murder no matter what the circumstance, so the same concept apparently applies to a fetus in Ireland.

14. RicoGordo

RicoGordo

Are you trolling?

These were Indian citizens living in Ireland. There are no Democrats in Ireland. The fetus isn't soon to be aborted because it died along with the mother.

15. glockdoc21

glockdoc21

LOTS of missing information here...living babies don't typically kill people. If she had a septic abortion, that's a different story, but there's no heartbeat with that one. I think that she either had a premature rupture of membranes w/ endometritis (probably would have died anyway) or she had a botched abortion (common in countries like this, and the uterine manipulation can cause sepsis in the mother). I've never heard of a closed uterus w/ a living fetus causing the mother to die if she hasn't been in some kind of traumatic accident....this looks like the media having a witchhunt.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You are probably right. I watched a show a while back - I think an episode of Sagan's Cosmos, about how advanced the Ionians were in science and how much of that was lost and had to be rediscovered over centuries, because of christians becoming a dominant force and suppressing science.

17. norton

norton

I think you missed my point. This thread has morphed into "gee ain't abortion great".

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

norton,

I think where the viability of a fetus is statistically improbable (as in this case), a medically induced abortion is a great thing, just like amputations to save someone's life can be a great thing, just like needle decompression might be great for dealing with certain types of pneumothorax.

Can you point out in this thread those responses that support your stated observation?

- G

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

How can you make that assertion? You don't know my occupation, or where I live.

Furthermore, I don't need to know the sun is hot from not having lived there, or that equatorial regions are warmer than living at the poles.

I can blame the doctors because I know what the Hippocratic Oath is, and BASED ON THE INFORMATION IN THE ARTICLE AND IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN it is clear where the blame lies.

20. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

This is ridiculous.

Nearly the entirety of the pro-life movement has no problem with an abortion procedure that is intended to spare the life of the mother.

It's the same principle that most proponents of self-defense have: Protect life, unless that life is a threat to someone else's life.

I'm sure that there are people who don't even allow for abortion in such a case, but they are Conservative Bigfoot. Even the Catholic authorities allow for procedures that save the mother but happen to result in the death of the child when it is medically necessary. The much more relevant argument is with those who think that it's never medically necessary, which is an issue Ireland has with its medical system oversight and not one that exists much anywhere else.