close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Iraq

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by CombatMedic, Dec 24, 2005.

1. CombatMedic

CombatMedic

Just a pic of myself In Kuwait just a few hours before my unit first convoyed into Iraq way back In january

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Way back in January huh? Does that mean you're home now or will soon be?

Merry Christmas young man, and Thank You!

;?

3. CombatMedic

CombatMedic

I'm in 3rd ID based out of Ft Stewart and my unit is scheduled to leave Iraq next week God willing. We will spend a couple days in Kuwait and should be back home In early January.

4. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Is that humvee top up-armored? It looks like it is, but I haven't seen any of that style of humvee that didn't have the soft shell tops on them.

Glad you're headed home soon. I'll be headed back through Fort Stewart in a few months when we demob (48 BCT / GA ARNG).

5. CombatMedic

CombatMedic

The problems with our FLA's (Field Little ambulance) is that they were only putting up armoured over the cab so the patient area is completely exposed. When we initially convoyed to kuwait are none of our vehicles as class 1 up armour. They were all class 2 or 3. basically they could stop an 7.62 round but thats about it. I've seen and have pics that I will post when i get back to Stewart of vehicles with class 1 including bradleys and abrams that got ****ed up from IED's The enemy is using these new shape charges that can penetrate pretty much any of the armour we use but anyone over here should know that. Their also using remotes with much higher freqs that are out of the range of our warlocks rendering them useless.

6. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Our medics used M113s the few times they went out in their own vehicles (with injuries, the patrols either self-evaced or called for a helocopter). Still, judging by the track record in our sector, I think I'd rather go out in an M1114 humvee than a M113.

7. CombatMedic

CombatMedic

Without a doubt. Those M113's are just leftover from Vietnam and were never designed to withstand the types of explosives that the enemy are using. We have them in my unit and the entire time over here they never left the motorpool. We used our FLA's for everything and the 101'st is following in our footsteps when it comes to evac procedures. Here is what happens to an FLA when a RPG hits it. As far as the fully up armored humvees I have a pic of one that was blown into 3 peices. the enemy tied RPG explosives around a 500 pound bomb. Their was very little of the crew left as far as body parts. That one was near and dear to my heart because one of the soldiers happened to be a medic that I knew.

8. CombatMedic

CombatMedic

Here is the m1114 that i mentioned in the previous post.

9. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Medic, woukd you happen to know a fellow named "Zan" Hornbuckle?

10. CombatMedic

CombatMedic

No sorry. But Iraq is a big place with lots of FOBS.

11. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Yes I know, just curious. He's a Captain, 3rd ID out of Stewart. Thanks for your time, and service to our county. Hurry home.