close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IPSC & Glock .40's- How do they take the strain?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ReflexBlade, Feb 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ReflexBlade

ReflexBlade

Was recently informed by some local IPSC shooters that Glock's .40 pistols G22/23/35 DO NOT handle the strain and rigor of IPSC well, and break, especially the slides cracking through, and magazines breaking, trigger bars failing and other internal parts breaking under competition shooting.

Who here shoots a G22/23/35 in IPSC open class, sans modifications like comps, optics etc.

How do they handle the pressure of lots of MAJOR factor load shooting?

What parts do actually break?

I'm contemplating joing up, but have only Glock 9 and .40 handguns, hence the worry,

BTW, how do thw 9mm's handle the circuit, any problems?

Thanks, ReflexB

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Reflex,

If a G22 or G23 can hold up to 5,000 rounds per day of full power ammo for 4 days (20,000 rounds per pistol) in FBI testing, then they should hold up to IPSC shooting.

3. Trey

Trey

2 years of Ipsc shooting.

What I've observed in S_I and 1911's

..broken slide
    ..broken extractor
    ..broken guide rod
    ..mag unloading via basepad coming off
    ..numerous squibs, double feeds, etc.
    ..doubling
    ..split mag body
    ..cracked mag extensions during matches
    ..broken thumb rest
    ..broken sight mount
    ..broken sights
    ..broken trigger insert

In Glocks

..one FTF during a practice session when I hadn't cleaned my 34 for 3k rounds
    ..one cracked mag extension when it was installed
    ..front sight loosened and fell off

Stuff happens to any pistol and to be fair there are more, in IPSC, S_I/1911 of out there than Glocks. So it stands to reason that you would see more problems with them. But after watching approx. 10-20k of rounds through Glocks in practice and matches, I have alot of faith in their endurance and reliability.

9mm should hold up fine.

Hope that helps.

;a

4. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

A combat pistol should be able to stand up to a few gun games just fine. The only thing that's going to break, is the mental capacity from those IPSC shooters who are smoking the reefer.

5. KY Moose

KY Moose

You will not have anything to worry about with your Glocks. I have used my Glock 23 for IPSC matches, and it did very well. Who ever told you that story more than likely owns some hot rod, 1911 style race gun, and is an anti-Glocker.

My Glock 23 has had zero malfunction over the years that I have owned it. Can't say the same for some of the hot rod 1911s I see at our matches. These guys have their pistols so tricked out and fixed up, that they fail to feed and have ejection problems like crazy.

6. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Sounds like BS to me ! I have been shooting my 23C in GSSF, IPSC and IDPA with none ported barell for over two years now and the only falure that I have had is the person behind the 23C IE me and some bad reloads fome time to time and I have seen more 1911s and the new 2011 have so many problems that I do not want a gun like that, that's why I have a new open gun for IPSC and GSSF my 24C.
    You also asked how do Glocks make major and still work well at 4.7 grains of TiteGroup and 180g Montana Gold with Win Primer and Win Brass I make major fine so don't belive all the BS you hear cause it is most likly BS. IMO I could be wrong Sniper

7. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

;2 What Sentry said!

8. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

A friend's G17 who's been IPSC'ing for 10,000 rounds suffered breech failure. His thread and pics is here somewhere. I call it bad luck. Best to shoot it now and enjoy the sport. Worry about it later if it does fail at a certain time. :) Be safe.

9. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber 10millimember

The only problem I've ever had with my 23 was an aftermarket mag base that fell off after I forced too many rounds into the mag. The gun was not out of commission, only the mag. I dropped the mag and inserted a fresh one and was back in the game.

I've seen 1911's launch parts that rendered them inoperable.

10. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

In the early years of the G22s, there were several failures among IPSC shooters at about 35K-40K rounds. For a serious IPSC shooter, that can be about 2 years. Major was higher then, and most were pushing 180s over 1000 fps with fast powders, some pushing 200s at over 900, also with fast powders. If you use a heavy slug with a fast powder and a weak spring in a Glock, you certainly will end up with some failures due to stress and strain. 1911s and Glocks are NOT the same and require different approaches.

However, the power factor is now lowered, and most people realize that you should not be using fast powders and heavy slugs in Glocks. A mild load is enough to make major. I put over 75K rounds through one G35 and sold it to a fellow competitor. It is now over 100K and trucking right along. My current G35 has about 30K on it and my G22 has about 60K on it.

11. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Back in the early 90's I shot IPSC with a 22. I shot 1000's of 175 grn LEAD bullets through that gun and made Master/Limited with it. The gun never failed me. It never KB'd. Just kept on working. Only thing not stock on that gun were the sights. If I remember right, I had Hienies on it or something similar.

Prior to that I had and used in IPSC a 1st Gen 17. I still have that gun and have long lost count the number of rounds through it.

12. ReflexBlade

ReflexBlade

Thanks guys,
    I'll rest a little easier tonight.

I'd also have dismissed this "Glock .40 can't take the strain" story as BS if I hadn't seen the gun, a G22, 3rd generation, slide cracked on the right side below ejection port, the owner had had it tig welded or something.

When I asked around, the general consensus was that Glock are good reliable IPSC pistols, BUT break the slides.

Well, this is what South African IPSC shooters seem to say!

They do not have a reputation for longevity in .40 from what i've heard, but then again it could be anti glock rhetoric

13. dw35

dw35

NO gun can with stand punishment like a Glock. As I have said many times,,,,

Glock = Perfection

14. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

There is more pro-Glock, unsupported rhetoric than anti-Glock rhetoric. It is the type of punishment that matters. I'll agree, in most cases, Glocks do the best. But anyone or anything claiming perfection just loses all credibility because there is NO SUCH THING that is man-made.

15. YAMAMA

YAMAMA Got Glock?

It is a glock. Parts are cheap. Shoot the crap out of it until it breaks. Replace the broken part and shoot the crap out of it some more. I have never shot IPSC but i have spent a lot of time in the desert shooting my G22 and have yet to have any sort of problem.

16. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Reflexblade,

I use Glock’s exclusively in USPSA/IPSC competition and to date I can honestly say that once I have broken in the gun I have never ever had any of the problems that your mates are mentioning. BTW, the following link shows three of my USPSA/IPSC/IDPA firearms and in case you didn’t notice they are all Glock’s.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=131752

17. whizz

whizz

I shoot a G35 and have experienced a broken mag during competition. It was an aluminium mag extension that had shaved of some plastic from the mag. Not glocks fault. :cool:

18. joseywales

joseywales

I started shooting IPSC in August 2002 with a G35. Strictly stock pistol (except the Heinie sights) used for Limited 10. So far, I've only shot factory ammo - mostly AE 165gr stuff, some S&B 180gr too. I've put over 6,000 rounds downrange with no problems, not sure about the round count of the previous owner.

Parts that fail: this particular pistol was subject to the frame recall, and both rear frame rails broke off during a warm-up prior to an IPSC match last month. Lesson: IF you have a Glock pistol that is subject to the frame recall, send it back to Glock for replacement (oh yeah, and always have a spare pistol & plenty of ammo at an IPSC match, unless you just like to watch!).

Regarding 9mm, I've put well over 15,000 rounds through my G17. Never a glitch.

IMHO Glock's can handle IPSC volume shooting.

19. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Glocks handle major ammo just fine. Parts can and will break over time like any gun.

20. MFinch

MFinch Guest

......and when the parts require replacement, you can do it in a few minutes at a low cost and avoid sending the gun to the gun Dr.