close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

^%$&^^%* iPhone

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanaT, Mar 8, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Some days I really hate iPhones.

Other phones I have had, after one has the phone for a while, simply call the mobile carrier and ask them for a SIM unlock code. They send a simple code and the phone accepts any SIM.

But with an iPhone. NOOOOOO. One has to jump through tons of hoops jailbreaking the thing when I only want to SIM unlock.

Then once the phone is out of jail, the new problems show up. I have horrible battery draining issues (4 hours on a charge). I think I have located the issue to a push notification problem with jail breaking and have to use a SAM.

Why cant the &*^*(&^&(*& iphone just have a simple SIM unlock code?????

-Dana

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

apple heads love Proprietary items .

this is one reason apple can suck it .

3. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I thought you could buy them unlocked now?

No battery problems with my jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1.

4. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

SIM unlock is all on AT&T's head...

and yes, the situation with that sucks.

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Battery life...
    also size and weight, are why I recently bought a dirt-simple flip-phone.

Depending on talk time, I don't have to charge for 3 days or so.
    Web access, etc are not worth carrying a brick around in my pocket.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  6. g29onboard

g29onboard

Has cake. Can't eat It.

7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

You can but if you already have an AT&T phone off contract you would like to use it with a different SIM. I've had a couple unlocked and jailbroken iPhones one had a battery problem and one didn't. I never figured out a reason except maybe one of the batteries was just bad, That's another thing I dislike about the iPhone- battery replacement is not just a simple job.

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

What good is having cake if you can't eat the stuff?

-Dana

9. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

I like my iPhone. its the first phone I've had in years that wasn't a complete POS.

WTH is this "jailbreaking" anyway?

10. Resqu2

Resqu2

My 4S has the best battery life of any smart phone I have seen, not unusual to have 30-40% left at the end of a long day. It's also jail broken running several tweaks.

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I just had a new battery put in (the $20 to install wasn't worth my effort of doing it) so I know its not the battery.

I have two iphones both jailbroken. One sucks down the battery fast and the other is just fine. However, the one that is just fine, i have no SIM in. That is what is leading me to believe it is a push issue.

Here is what I found the explantion to be:

The reason the phone battery is draining so fast is because iOs 4.1/4.2.1 is constantly looking for these things called push certificates. When the phone is activated using iTunes it receives the right certificates, but not if it was activated using Redsn0w

Therefore the phone has to be spoofed into thinking the SIM is the correct SIM for the phone.

I will know tomorrow morning if it worked.

BTW. A battery change for my Crackberry takes about 12 seconds and batteries are $5. I carry an extra crackberry battery in my bag.

-Dana

12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I will be interested to find out if it worked. How do you spoof it?

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

A cydia app called SAM.

-Dana

14. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

What kind of crap batteries are you getting for $5 each? I would be VERY afraid of them.

FWIW, the future trend in ALL phones is to have batteries that are not user replaceable, just as the iPhone has had from inception.

15. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Got my 3Gs in Singapore and it was never locked to AT&T like the U.S. phones. I have it on T-mobile with no contract and love it. Flip-side is I've procastinated on upgrading for this very reason.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  16. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I bought three off ebay. The "look" just like crackberry batteries with all labeling etc.

Actually, I have only used one of them (and keep a spare in my bag) and a new one sitting un-opened.

The $5 battery has so far been better than the one that came with the crackberry.

-Dana

17. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

And it probably lacks some of the short circuiting protection and thermal overload circuits that are in a "real" approved Blackberry battery.

Batteries for such devices are commonly cloned, mostly in China, and invariably lack the extra "stuff" that makes the batteries durable and safe.

I know this because I have worked in the portable communications industry for 35+ years, and this is a well known problem for all the OEM's. I could tell you stories of melted phones and the like due to aftermarket cheezy batteries. Caveat emptor.

18. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

If you feel the need to switch phones, the Samsung Galaxy Note is a very nice phone. I have had mine a week now. Loving the big screen.

:cool:

20. Oso

Oso

I find it comical that so many people try to hack (jailbreak) their iPhones and then complain that they don't work right and blame Apple or the carrier. Would you buy a DVD player, tear it apart, change the software, and then blame the manufacturer that it doesn't work? It's all about compromises. Make a list of thing you have to have in a phone and provider. Pick the one that best meets your needs and then use it. :tongueout:

Don't get me wrong. If you want to jailbreak your iPhone so you can customize it for non-authorized apps, or for screensavers, etc, that is fine. Just don't complain when other functions quit working. :whistling:

The biggest argument I hear is that with so-and-so I get free tethering, but with the iPhone and AT&T I have to pay for it, so I jailbreak it so I can get it for free. Just so you know, that is stealing. So how does that make you any better than AT&T? :faint:

Is the iPhone perfect? Heck no. But it is the best I've found for my uses. My next smart phone will be the iPhone 5, or whatever they decide to call it. I'm ready to upgrade from my 3GS.