close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

iPhone vs. Droid -- some questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Three questions:

-- Which is the best one for work purposes, or doesn't it matter in your opinion?

-- Which one do you like and why?

-- How does the Droid's apps program compare to iPhone Apps?

I already have an iPod Touch so I'm pretty familiar with the iPhone format.

I appreciate your input.

2. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

By the way, when I say "work" I mean using it for my job -- checking email, calendar, contacts, etc. This would be the primary purpose of the phone, but I want to have fun with it as well. I am a gadget freak.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

4. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

No brainer....iPhone.

5. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

The DROID is a really, really, cool phone and a fun toy.

I would never recommend it for work use where failure can cost you money.

I have had a DROID since the G1. NOTHING on the DROID or the opensource down-loadable programs is nearly as reliable as WinMo with Office. No one wants to hear that, but until a REAL company gets behind DROID and works with MS, it is going to be a really cool phone, but not much else.

Unless your business exclusively uses Google and its related programs (Gmail, Gdocs, etc), skip to something else.

6. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

As far as I know, there are two major differences between the iPhone and Droid: the Droid is capable of multitasking with any native or non-native app, while the iPhone has a very extensive app catalog. Hardware-wise is essentially identical. The Droid is much more open source, whereas apple will only allow you to install an app that passes their criteria. So nothing that can be deemed offensive for example, such as a south park viewer app, and Flash will not be coming to the iPhone as far as we know now. Flash will come to every other smart phone in a month or 2. And of course the network: Verizon beats AT&T hands down.

8. PatinAz

PatinAz

All I can add is...I've had my iphone for just over a year. I was skeptical because it was so reliant on a pc for updates, etc....blah blah blah.

Well after a year, one day I finally had one complete lockup, freeze up, completely 10-7 phone. I was pissed/upset. Before I could leave work, I allready had plans to fork out some cash for a new one. Yes, without a hesitation, I would have bought another one in a heartbeat. No questions asked. Absolutely 100%.

I got home, hooked it up to the pc, did the clear and backup thingy, and now its as good as new.

I love my iphone.

:drink:

9. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

The DROID won't make or receive calls when you're on the interwebz. I :heart: my iPhone.:wavey:

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

WRONG. :rofl:

Don't know where you picked up that MISINFORMATION.

I can be on the web or streaming Pandora radio and my phone will take a call. :whistling:

11. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Are you using WiFi? I thought Verizon's CDMA network couldn't do voice and data simultaneously.

12. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Was a BlackBerry user for years, and made the switch almost 2 years ago. No regrets. Have a friend that has a Droid. Also seems pleased. Personal preference.

[​IMG]

13. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Which one has the thinnest profile and weighs less?

14. Henning

Henning

iphone dude iphone

15. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

FTW.

Why would you go with a phone that is one of the many that claim they are trying to "kill the iPhone"?...that alone is the highest compliment the iPhone could receive! Obviously, if all the competition is trying to kill it, then the iPhone must be the king of the mountain.

Noone has killed it yet! :whistling:

ETA: The iPhone is kinda like caller ID...once you have it, you will never be able to live without it. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  16. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nah, there are already better devices out there, the Droid and the Pre being just two of them. They do everything the iPhone does, and more, with the exception of the App catalog. I have no experience with the Droid, but I like the Pre WebOS operating system much more than the Apple one. What they don't have is the kind of following that the Apple brand does. But the iPhone has not changed since it was first introduced, except for getting a faster CPU (finally catching up to the Pre). The Droid runs the same CPU. Now, the new Google phone (Nexus 1 I think) runs on the much, much faster Snapdragon processor, I believe, so even if you can argue that the Pre and Droid are not really superior to the iPhone, the Nexus 1 is. By far. Had it not been for Apple's fanboy base, the iPhone would have been updated by now, and caught up to the rest of the market. But I wouldn't buy an outdated device for the same price as a current device on a better network.

Now, I am in no way saying that the iPhone is a bad device. It is a very good device. But it is far from the best at this point. Hardware-wise, the Nexus 1, with it's 1 Ghz CPU wins by far, and I feel that the best usability and most elegantly designed phone and OS is the Palm Pre with WebOS. I've never played with the Droid so I can't rank it, but I would rank the iPhone below the Pre, due to having the same hardware but no multitasking ability with all applications.

And another thing, manufacturers don't claim that they are building an "iPhone Killer." This is a phrase that internet bloggers came up with. Because let's face it, the iPhone was the best device of it's time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  17. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I don't get what you're saying here in terms of reliability.

Android is not perfect, but Windows Mobile is legendary for its crash-proneness.

In terms of working with Microsoft Office documents... Not everybody--in fact, MOST business users--simply do not need Office document and Exchange support on their phones. Windows Mobile does a just-passable-but-better-than-the-competition job with those, so it's a better choice for users that need such things. For users who value anything else a phone could do--and this would involve the vast majority of users--they are simply, by great margin, better devices (brought to you by "REAL" companies). You don't to hear it, but until a REAL company gets behind Windows Mobile and works with anyone but MS, it's going to be an OK Office/Exchange client, but not much else.

Unless your business exclusively uses Microsoft and its related programs (Exchange, Office, etc), skip to something else.

18. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Windows Mobile is pretty horrible. It's becoming a niche operating system for mobile.

Blackberry is still best for overall Exchange / Outlook syncing, but iPhone / Droid can connect to some less restrictive Exchange servers if the policies aren't totally locked down.

19. JohnLew

JohnLew

It can't... either he was on WiFi or he is mistaken.

20. JohnLew

JohnLew

Hate to nitpick but, if we really want to advise this guy, we should have accurate answers.

That's a pretty big exception... it pretty much makes the device.

While I agree about the processor, it's lagging a little in speed these days... the rest is false. The iPhone has changed a lot since the first device - a few things added - faster processor (like you said), 7.2Mbps download HSPA, onboard GPS, magnetometer, video capability, etc. It would hardly be considered lagging behind in feature set.

Quite a bit of manufacturers and carriers have marketed their device directly as an "iPhone Killer", either directly or indirectly (although they may not have used the term):

Samsung Instinct
    BlackBerry Storm
    Palm Pre
    Motorola Droid

We will also see iPhone OS 4.0 on Wednesday, which rumors say will change the game again - multitasking, etc. Remember, the iPhone CAN MULTITASK... Apple just chooses what apps can multitask to try to protect the user experience (anybody had a Windows Mobile phone that ran slow as all hell because it got bogged down with so many apps running in the background? Apple doesn't want that). If they open that up, the game is over... Again.