close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

iPhone experts please chime in...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mattz357, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mattz357

mattz357

Is there a way to determine if something is running in the background (if that is even possible) on my iPhone and draining my battery excessively quickly? I went to bed with 50% left on my battery and woke up 5 hours later to a dead phone, so dead my alarm didn't go off. I can't imagine what could be draining my battery so quickly, especially since it has never drained that fast before, but I don't want to risk being late to work so I need to get this figured out. Thanks in advance for any info!

2. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Bluetooth off?...wifi off?...brightness set to a reasonable level?...auto shutdown set for 1 minute?....

3. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

None of those should drain it that fast, sounds like you need to take it in for a new batt.

4. Adjuster

Adjuster

Bluetooth will drain it very quickly if left running.

5. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Just restart it every so often. Safari and mail are the only 2 things that run in the background, and sometimes they get stuck on somethig. Hold both buttons for about 10 seconds, the phone will go off and then restart. Don't let go until it restarts. Mine drains at about 3-4% an hour if not in use.

6. harlenm

If it's connected to something, yes, if it's just on, no, it has very little effect on the battery.

7. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

Not that quick, I leave mine on over night quite a bit and I never knock out half the battery life in that period. Not while it's In sleep mode anyways.

8. mace

mace

naaa.... bluetooth if left in discoverable mode is a battery killer. Wifi, if definitely a killer. One other thing to remember, Mail and Safari aren't the only apps that can run in the background... you know that push option that almost all of your apps are now coming with. That feature keeps an active connection through your data connection to make sure that its getting all of the good stuff. Take it to the Apple store and tell them about the battery, they are good people.

9. harlenm

You can not leave Bluetooth on in discovery mode. It only is like that when open to the Bluetooth settings page. What kills the battery is using the phone. Data usage and keeping that big screen on combine to eat the battery. In standby, with all the features turned on, you should only lose a few % an hour. If you get a lot of email/texts/notiications, then standby drops. My wife, who barely uses her phone, will get a week on a single charge(she has a 3g). I use my phone a lot and have to charge it daily(3gs).

10. harlenm

You want a battery eater?? Using my jailbroken phone to stream slacker to my car via Bluetooth stereo while navigating with GPS. It loses about 1% every 2 minutes.

11. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Do you have an App killer app like the droids?? it makes a huge difference on my Eris.

12. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

This.

When you are on the home screen, nothing is 'running outside of the OS.

13. heliguy

heliguy

funny you mention this...Yesterday I had Bluetooth, WiFi and Location Services on. I used the phone for several hours between calls and web. The battery bar stayed full the whole time. Then all of a sudden the 20% batt life warning came on...Only thing I can figure is that the battery indicator got locked up somehow...

14. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I've perhaps twice had some phantom application running that drained the battery very quickly.

Aside from those times, the only incidents of my iPhone draining that quickly came from when I had an extremely poor signal (as in, out more than connected). All the power it expended trying to contact a tower when there isn't one in range can definitely kill it overnight.

15. bluenoise

bluenoise

Not true. As has been said, leaving Bluetooth on won't hit the battery that hard. Safari is probably the culprit here. If I view my security cameras via Safari on my iPhone, it will kill my battery very quickly if I leave page open in Safari, even if I am at the home screen or running other apps. Some web pages are real battery killers. In the case of my security camera page, the images are pushed as quickly as the bandwidth allows. I suspect any webpage that auto-refreshes will kill the battery.

If I check the camera feed on my iPhone, I browse away to another page, such as GT, so my battery doesn't get hammered.

All that said, there is a way to force all running apps to quit without restarting. I don't remember the steps, but it's easy to Google for it.

16. Ralff

Ralff

Didn't see it mentioned, but I have heard that having email check itself constantly, as opposed to only when you open the app, will drain your battery very fast.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. bluenoise

bluenoise

I have push enabled for everything that wants it. I leave Bluetooth, wifi, and location services on all the time. At the end of a typical day with some calls and some browsing/posting, I still have 80-90% of my battery left. In other words, none of those things are the huge battery sink people make them out to be.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I've never had wifi drain a battery fast. 3G definitely takes more effort to keep a connection open.

Bluetoof paired drains battery. Unpaired, the drain is not enough for me to notice. (Unlike my last phone when it went from a 2-day phone to a 1-day phone.)