close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IPAD or Galaxy?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by medic2258, Apr 28, 2012.

1. medic2258

medic2258

I'm looking to get my wife a tablet for our anniversary. Should I get the new IPad or a Galaxy? Or is there something better than those? Help me out, I'm way behind the curve on techy stuff.

2. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

You can't go wrong with an iPad.

3. bchandler

bchandler

There are tons of material covering this topic, both here and on the web.

Both are equally effective for browsing, playing music, watching netflix, and consuming media in general.

However the iPad has many more quality apps.

I've had an iPad and after the novelty of the apps wore off I most just used it as a couch browser, however some people really love what the apps have to offer.

edit: also keep in mind Apple's unparalleled customer service. If you have a problem, just take it into the store and they will usually just give you a brand new one and transfer your files for you. They have even been known to do this with products outside of warranty (depends on the sales person of course). With any android tablet, you will end up having to mail it off somewhere to get fixed, and probably will get a refurbished unit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. Resqu2

Resqu2

The IPad out sells all others for a good reason, can't go wrong with it. I have heard good things about that other one though but I'm an admitted fanboy of Apple stuff. But numbers don't lie, the IPad is King at the moment.

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

well if your wife is not techie and doesn't like to mess with custom OS, go iPad.

I love Android because I can tinker and update the OS easily. But got an iPad2 for my family at Christmas because if I bought them a Xoom or Galaxy Tab they would never see it, because i would be updating the ROM every few days.

Its been a good investment. The kids love it, wife uses it some too.

6. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

We have both, a Galaxy 10.1 and just got an Ipad3. They are both mainly just media consumption devices. W/that said I use the 10.1 about 90% of the time, no real reason other than it just seems for intuitive. The wife likes the Ipad, some people like Glocks, others like HK's.

7. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

This is good advice.

I am on the swing in the backyard right now sending this on my "old iPad2" and streaming Internet radio through my LG Bluetooth headset.

8. silversport

silversport

...and go to the Apple Store and buy a Factory Refurb...always a bit cheaper, it will be as new when you get it and have a full warranty...

Bill

9. coastal4974

coastal4974

I’m waiting for the new crop coming out this year before I buy. So far I’m leaning to the Galaxy. I would have bought the Asus TP but that turned out to be a turd.

If you can’t wait I’m sure you will be happy with an Apple.

10. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

iPad is the better choice, looking long term the iPad will probably still be around and with more quality accessories and apps Id say its a safe and better bet. Look at the iPod vs the Zune or Creative Zen or any other MP player, eventhough there are other good choices, the iPad/iPod what I would pick.

:50cal:

11. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

1st gen iPhones and iPads have been updated to the latest version of IOS. If your Android device is over 1 year old it will probably never get an update (unless you root it and do it yourself).

Apple has done a fantastic job of keeping all of their customers current. From what I can tell, once Android vendors have your money they couldn't care less about you. Samsung is the biggest droid phone maker and is probably the worst at supporting existing customers.

My wife has had two droid phones (both Samsung) and a droid tablet (Dell). None of them have ever gotten an updated OS.

I have been holding off getting an iTablet, because I really want a 7" device. There have been several 7" droid tablets that caught my interest, but their vendors support is so bad I am not willing to give them my money. I am really interested in a Samsung 7.7 Galaxy Tab, but Samsung has been really dragging their feet on bringing it to the US market.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  12. ronin.45

ronin.45

This^

13. Restless28

Restless28

The iPad will be around long after the Galaxy is gone. Apple simply does consumer electronics that suit the masses better than anyone else.

14. Knighj1

Knighj1

Is this really a decision? iPad ftw

15. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

As much as I want to give an android tablet a try I can't get past how much I love my iPad. I'm fortunate to have a gen2 issued to me for work but will have to turn it in when I leave this year. I will almost definitely buy myself a new iPad when that time comes. I use mine for almost everything.

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

iOS 5 only goes back to the 3Gs. The original iPhone as well as the 3G aren't able to get it I believe.

17. medic2258

medic2258

IPad it is! Thanks everybody!

18. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Why do you say that? I have been looking at the prime.

19. Just1More

Just1More

Good choice. We love ours.