Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) signed an executive order granting voting rights to felons

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by B C, Aug 5, 2020.

1. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I really have mixed feelings about this. If an individual makes a mistake, gets convicted, serves his (her) time including probation, parole, etc., pays their debt to society, I like to think they are no longer a felon. In theory, voting rights, gun rights, no negatives on a background investigation all should be restored. Theses folks need to get back to work and be an asset to society.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Intolerant likes this.
  2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Maybe by steps. After release some are on parole. Limited rights. (No guns, voting. Voting rights restored after first yr, (gun rights only if non violent after parole done. gun rights after 2nd yr with review (if violent crime)

Intolerant and hooligan74 like this.

3. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

“Let he is without sins cast the first stone”. or something like that. ‘nuff said.

billy_56081 likes this.
  4. hooligan74

hooligan74

Well, if you're on parole, you're not "out of the system", yet. Right?

I agree with your overall sentiment, though.

billy_56081 likes this.
  5. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

I think former felons should be able to be restored to full citizenship.

It gets sticky when the different states have different definitions of a felony that don't match the Federal laws. Let the states figure out/ experiment with the process for themselves. The winning formulas might then be adopted by the less adventurous states.

6. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

When an ex-con is no longer under court control all the rights, responsibilities, and privileges of a citizen of the U.S.A. should be reinstated.

Intolerant and hooligan74 like this.
  7. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

well. You shouldnt get to vote or enjoy any of the freedoms that should have remained stripped from you. You are a felon. Convicted. Sentenced.
    I shouldnt have to explain this to you people.

8. Intolerant

Intolerant

I`m with you on this. I worked with a guy that was convicted 30yrs ago for a low level felony, served a year in jail. To this day, 30yrs later, he has been a very hard worker, has committed no crimes whatsoever in the last 29yrs, and they STILL hold this conviction over his head to this very day. He paid his debt, but the system dosent see it this way. I feel bad for the guy. Can never own a gun ever again. He cant even carry a pocket knife for self defense. I dont see why low level felonies are, or should be, held over peoples heads. If they cleaned up their act, they work everyday, pay taxes, feed their families, GIVE THEM BACK ALL THEIR RIGHTS!

mmcbeat likes this.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My position on it is simple - restore all rights or no rights. If we can trust a person with a vote, we can trust them with a gun. Democrats want felons voting only and they want them to remain lesser citizens so they stay under the Democrat thumb.

I'm 100% in favor of "if the sentence is over, you're just like everybody else."

mmcbeat likes this.