Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) signed an executive order granting voting rights to felons

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by B C, Aug 5, 2020.

1. B C

B C

Another RINO caving after being paid off by black lives matter.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...mped-mar-a-lago-wall-ak-47-found-in-backpack/

"However, Reynolds reportedly promised to sign an executive order in June after meeting with activists from the Des Moines, Iowa, Black Lives Matter, the NAACP, and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

Since that meeting, Black Lives Matter lobbied Reynolds to sign an executive order and allow potential felons to vote less than 90 days ahead of the 2020 elections.

Reynolds has called for a constitutional amendment to automatically restore voting rights to felons once they have completed their sentences; however, the majority Republican state Senate blocked her constitutional amendment. Passing an amendment would enshrine the voting rights policy in the state constitution."

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Tie it up in court.

Intolerant, Doc Holliday, n2g and 3 others like this.

3. tihash

tihash

What a Moron.

n2g, cardguy, hogship and 2 others like this.
  4. billy_56081

billy_56081

I'm a convicted felon and in Minnesota your voting rights are restored when your sentence is completed. My firearms rights are restored also that takes pleading your case in front of a judge in the district you were convicted in. I even have an FFL now.

5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

But it was reviewed. There are felonies that are much more of a concern. If you reviewed everything most everyone could be convicted of a felony. (And they didn’t realize they broke the law, or its “no big deal”
    I have no issue with rights restored after a review. The person is not committing more felonies.
    IMO same for domestics.

Intolerant and ExecutiveWill like this.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Remember, it's not racist to assume "felon = black" as long as you're a liberal.

JimWillson, n2g, jr24 and 6 others like this.
  7. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Next in line are the illegal migrants.

8. NoJoy

NoJoy

Just in time so they can vote for Biden
    :couch:

Intolerant, Doc Holliday, n2g and 4 others like this.
  9. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

I believe, once your sentence is completed, the stigma should be removed.

But I also believe breaking and entering and robbery, and other such property crimes should be a capital offenses.

So, grain of salt I guess.

10. 0311INF

0311INF

So, murderers and rapists and other violent felons get to vote? Or is this just for redeemable individuals...I see a difference.

Intolerant, Jade Falcon, n2g and 2 others like this.
  11. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-broward-jail-inmates-vote-20181110-story.html

“I'm sick to my stomach,” Pollack tweeted Saturday. “[He] murdered 17 students & staff, including my daughter Meadow. Yet in July, Broward Sheriff @ScottJIsrael let people into the jail to get him & other animals registered to vote.”

I'm no fan of this anti-gun Guttenberg guy but he does have a point.
    Since Cruz has yet to be tried and convicted he is NOT a felon/convict and gets to vote in 2020.

Intolerant and larry_minn like this.
  12. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I mostly fall on the "once you've done your time, all rights should be restored" side. But I don't object to a permanent loss of voting and firearm rights for certain violent felonies. One thing's for sure though, when it comes to non-violent felonies, it sure is a lot easier to become a felon now than back when they wrote the laws saying a convicted felon doesn't get to vote or own guns. Grand larceny in my state is value of $1000 or more .... and it has been for about 100 years. In a lot of states they have 'degrees' of felonies where the lesser degrees cover offenses that would be misdemeanors in other States. I don't have a problem with different States having different laws, but I have a problem with a Federal law that measures all the States' laws by one yardstick.

Intolerant, Jade Falcon and robhic like this.
  13. nerr

nerr

Then I'll still be able to vote them out when they make me a criminal for what I say and what I own.

14. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Aye, the state determines what your penance is, once served, your rights should be restored.

Anyone who is so much of a danger that even after they have served their time they are still considered irredeemable should never leave prison alive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    pjanthony and Bish1309 like this.
  15. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Yeah, that gang member in NY (?) who was released same day and went out and killed THREE more people!!! You mean like him? :crazy:

Intolerant and Doc Holliday like this.
  16. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Violent Felons should never get the vote!

17. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Swing, and a miss. I worded it poorly. I ment if after release from prison. After a time it was reviewed. IF they had committed no more felonies. That’s my error.
    The gang member was never tried, convicted, sentenced. He was just released IIRC without bail.
    Convicted felons, who have served their time are what the discussion was about. (At least I thought so). Some were talking those still in prison. You are talking those who haven’t even gone to trial. (Likely not even charged by DA)

So we could go to those who may have committed a felony, but are not aware.

18. hooligan74

hooligan74

One could make a very compelling case for this that doesn't violate any conservative principles, absolutely.

The idea is that you have paid your debt to society. If so, you should be a fully restored citizen. If not, you shouldn't be released from the penal system, yet.

Seems reasonable to me.

19. n2g

n2g

I think some states have procedures for certain felons to get their voting rights restored. I can go along with that if they've served their time and have not committed any more crimes after a certain number of years.

For felons still in prison, no. And some violent felons should never have their voting (or gun) rights restored imho. They should have thought of that before they committed the crime.

I don't see it as an "after" thing.
    I see the permanent loss of voting and gun rights as PART OF the punishment for breaking certain laws such as violent felonies, an inherent part of what's included in "paying their debt to society." Their victims are not and cannot ever truly be made whole (or alive), so the permanent loss-of-rights part of the penalty is not unfair by that way of thinking. It's just part of the consequence of choosing to commit the crime.

For lesser non-violent felonies, see first paragraph.

I agree that those illegally in the USA will be next in line for voting rights.

Intolerant, larry_minn and robhic like this.
  20. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Larry, no harm, no foul. I knew what you were saying and think the whole thing stinks! Our "justice system" is turning into a POS these days. :cheers:

Intolerant and n2g like this.