Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-ia-iowagunpermits-ma,0,3720855.story
Iowa chief wants businesses to bar firearms

MARION, Iowa — The Marion police chief is asking owners and operators to bar firearms from their businesses.

Chief Harry Daugherty has even mailed "no weapons" stickers to the businesses for display in their windows.

In his letter to the businesses, Daugherty encourages the guns ban "as it will make both our jobs easier."

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...es-for-businesses-to-ban-weapons/#more-108674

(comments block at the bottom of this page)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
he can go suck swamp slime.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Hopefully, a large percentage of those stickers will be thrown away in the trash.

He would be better off starting a free firearm safety class for kids, like Eddy the Eagle.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If I were a city council member or the mayor I would want to know how much city (taxpayer) money was spent to produce, package, and mail these letters and stickers. I would also want to know if the chief worked this political campaign on town time. What he does when he's off is his business but he has no right to engage in political activity on the clock.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
UnAmerican and a traitor to the United States, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
He's an elitist idiot. He believes that he's the superhero who protects the helpless idiots who have no business protecting themselves.

·
Mythmatician
3,083 Posts
In his letter to the businesses, Daugherty encourages the guns ban "as it will make both our jobs easier."
Lazy bastid. By writing something like that he is making his position apparent. "I'm only thinking about myself, not you."

·
Registered
587 Posts
Considering that in Iowa there is no force of law behind the no guns signs, this is first a waste of money on the stickers, and second a waste of time for everyone!

The most they can do is ask you to leave. Just like if they didn't like your t-shirt...

·
Banned
406 Posts

·
Helicopter Nut
7,762 Posts
Maybe he feels bad because he couldn't ever hit the target at the Police pistol range. :whistling:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Most police chiefs are no longer LEOs. They are merely political hacks doing the bidding of their masters. They make me sick.:puking:

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
High treason.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
Elitist scumbag.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,013 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a lot of Chiefs and sheriffs against the "shall issue" and they're frustrated and angry that there's not a damned thing they can do about it.

In the case of Marion, Iowa, the chief may be biting off more than he can chew. Marion is a very small town that's very close the Cedar Rapids, a larger city that's largely pro-gun, and there are a LOT of places to shop there.

I'm guessing that many of the business folks in Marion will not only ignore this, but rebel via city council against the chief. If I'm guessing right, (and I am guessing) he'd better update his resume'.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Private businesses can do pretty much as they please even though some of us may call this discrimination.

The leverage that we have is not to patronize any business that chooses to plaster those idiotic signs on their entry doors.

Some state based firearm advocacy groups have designed cards (business size) that potential customes can give to the business owners letting them know that they are taking their business elsewhere.
In some cases they have also posted a list of these businesses, including the ability for individuals to post the places that they have discovered with these signs on their doors.

If the businesses feel that it's not in their best interest (money) they sometimes quickly remove the signs.

I agree with earlier posts in regards to this sheriff.
Efforts should be made to at least notify the county commissioners of his extra activities, especialyy if he's doing it on the tax payers or using public tax dollars for the signs, postage, etc.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
If I were a city council member or the mayor I would want to know how much city (taxpayer) money was spent to produce, package, and mail these letters and stickers. I would also want to know if the chief worked this political campaign on town time. What he does when he's off is his business but he has no right to engage in political activity on the clock.

And Daugherty also said the $600 cost of the printing and mail wasn’t tax dollars. Rather, the chief used money confiscated in drug raids and other seizures to pay the cost. Those dollars typically go for purchases not on the department’s budget.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
There is a small percentage of police officers who think "civilians" shouldn't own guns. They can go to he!!.

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
And Daugherty also said the $600 cost of the printing and mail wasn’t tax dollars. Rather, the chief used money confiscated in drug raids and other seizures to pay the cost. Those dollars typically go for purchases not on the department’s budget.
I still think that could qualify as misuse of official funds.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
There is a small percentage of police officers who think "civilians" shouldn't own guns. They can go to he!!.
Peace Officers are sworn "civilians", and they are certainly not subject to the UCMJ, regardless of what TBO thinks. When they cannot walk away from their job without repercussions of jail time, they can call themselves something else other than "civilian".

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
So this clown is using money he could be spending on equipment and training for his personal political campaign against guns? All this, I would imagine, was done on town time and not while he was off duty. Nothing about this sounds right to me. The chief's campaign has nothing to do with safety, it's just a plain old political campaign against guns. In my mind this is no different than the chief sending out bumper stickers for his favorite congressional candidate using drug funds. Dirty pool indeed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.