IO Ak47c Reliability

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by jwizzl497, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

How may rounds would you have to go through w/o an issue to declare an AK or an IO AK reliable?? Just tyring to get an understanding. Thanks

2. DFin

DFin

I don't know but I fired about 300 rounds through my 2nd I.O. AK, let it cool off, and then it started to jam.

3. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

It is impossible to really put a number on something like that. It really depends on who built the rifle and the parts they used. In reality, a true AK is pretty much 100% reliable the moment it leaves the factory. The AK's reliability is legendary. Unfortunately, since we have started assembling them in the US, some builders have just thrown them together, often with substandard parts, and created garbage in the name of making a quick dollar. I'm not saying this is the case with IO, but just be careful when buying an AK that was not made in an original AK factory. There are some builders here in the US who put out AKs that are just as good and even better than anything ever made by the commies.

4. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

I agree, that's why I'm asking. This isnt specific to AKs either but guns in general. I've read posts where people put 200rds and deem it reliable becuase of no issues, then there are those that wait till 500, 1000, etc. How much is enough?

5. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

I'd say a 5 digit number would be enough. If I had a firearm fail/fall apart/whatever at 500 or 1000 rounds the last thing I'd be calling it was 'reliable'.

6. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

I hope my "IO" Casar works properly. I just picked mine up and gave it a good cleaning/greasing. Racked the slide some and found it to be simular action to my Poly Tech AK version.

Mail Clerl

7. DFin

DFin

I hope you have a better experience than me. Let us know how is works.

8. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

DFin,

I'll get back to you guys towards the end of the calendar year on how my toy works out.

For a while I've read/heard so much on how some people have had so many bad experiences buying/shooting this rifle I just had to see for myself. Why did I buy this??? Well I 'm on a budget and wanted a companion to my Poly Tech which is a pre-ban and don't shoot it anymore.

Here's what I noticed after cleaning and examinaning this rifle. It's more crude compared to my Poly Tech. The bolt carrier does lock back but after oiling/greasing it up and hand manipulating it back and forth it did loosen up some. I think with some shooting this issue will pass.

The rear receiver cover is a bear to put back on. The rear bottom lip doesn't clear the metal stop just in front of the stock mounting screws but using a rubber mallet a good smack puts it back in. It appears on mine the cover is in some form of tension so I might try another cover and see if another one fits better. What do you think ????

The gas tube rocks side to side even though the lever clamps the tube down and the lever itself can be a little more tighter. Does anyone have this issue also???? Will another gas tube solve this problem??? What do you think???

Lastly the front sight is way too loose if I needed to adjust the elevation during firing. If I don't get this tighten down my groupings will shift during recoil. Heck I can even pinch it with my fingers and adjust the elevation without a tool. Do you think a drop of blue loc-tite will fix this or should I just find another and see if it fits better???? What do you think???

All in all guys the barrel was dirty so it appears the rifle was test ired before packing an sending it to the store. Otherwise allI really need now is ammo. I'll see if I can get some cheap Wolf ammo cuz it's labeled no-corossive. Any experience using this ammo in your Io Casars???

Mail Clerk

9. DFin

DFin

The bolt carrier on mine moves freely and does not stick when cycled by hand but it frequently jams open during live firing.
    The top cover goes on easily enough but the front does have to be inserted precisely into the front of the receiver. I guess it goes on easily but I don't have any other AK's to compare it to. I sometimes have to slap the top of the cover with the palm of my hand to get the takedown button (recoil spring button) to pop through the hole in the rear of the top cover.
    The gas tube rocks a little but does not seem overly loose.
    The front sight on mine was loose too and the post would drop down during firing. I pried the bottom of the sight open a little (threaded area with the notch cut into it)with a flat bladed screw driver and the post seems to be staying in place now even after firing a few hundred rounds. Try what I did as once you put the lock tite on the threads you may have trouble adjusting it for elevation.
    I used Wolf ammo (hp & FMJ) and Yugo surplus ammo without any problems other than the bolt jamming by sticking open (I don't know if this was ammo related though.) The Yugo is hotter probably because it is military surplus ammo. I just field stripped, cleaned and oiled it after using corrossive ammo.

Except for the jamming problem my I.O. seemed like a nice rifle. However an AK should not jam. I just sent it back to I.O. on tuesday demanding repair, replacement or a refund of my money. I was able to consistently pick off shotgun shells at 25 and 50 yards so it is accurate enough for me. The shotgun shells are hard for me to see at 50 yards but if I used bright yellow shells in front of a white background I could see and hit them. Even when I missed I could see that I came pretty close. I was not as accurate at 100 yards but that may have been me and not the rifle.

I hope you have good luck with yours.

10. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

I'm at over 1500 rounds with mine without any issues. I like mine and would put it up against any Saiga or Arsenal build for quality, accuracy and reliability. We did a shoot a few weeks ago at SRGC in Conyers. There were 5 of us, we all had an AK of some sort and we swapped them around freely at the range that day. I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 converted Saigas, the one Arsenal or the Norinco. They all worked as designed.

11. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

frank_drebin,

I'm glad your IO Casar AK is working good for you. Please cross your finger for me that mine is just as good as yours. First thing need to repair the front sight post, gas tube. I will shoot/test fire mine towards the end of the year. In the meantime I'll just keep hand cycling the bolt back and forth like some people have suggested.

12. twag4

twag4

To the OP, DFin and myself have posts now of two rifles each with problems. I'd say there is your answer. I.O. Inc rifles have enough rounds through them for me to say that they are unreliable.

13. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

thanks for the info

14. DFin

DFin

Between twag4 and me that is 4 unreliable jamamatic AK's from IO!!!! They took a quality design and screwed it up!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  15. BigLouie

BigLouie

I would have to add my experience with IO. I have an AK that jams about every 12 rounds due to bolt/gas tube assembly not being stopped by spring and getting locked back. Previously found trigger mechanism to have been installed incorrectly. IMHO, try a good Polish, Romanian, Hungarian, Chinese gun as they seem to be of much higher quality. Is there a recommended American mfr out there?

Louie

16. DFin

DFin

I feel for you. Get rid of it. Send it back to Uli Wiegand and tell him to refund your money. I think mine jammed because the rails were not long enough at the rear of the receiver. This allowed the bolt carrier to jump upward and get stuck on the end of the rails. It sounds like yours may be doing the same thing.

17. thinktwice

thinktwice

I think they are made here in NC. I have never shot one but the ones I have looked at didn't impress me. My friend bought one and had nothing but trouble with his. In my opinion you would be better off getting a Romanian WASR.( if you don't want to spend a lot of $$ on one) They are suppose to be the low end of the military AK's, I have 2 that function 100% never a jam in thousands of rounds. Some of my buddies have some of the higher end AK's and while you can tell they are built better they don't function any better or are any more accurate than my cheap Romanian. You can find them at gun shows here for around $400.00

18. Nicoroshi

Nicoroshi Avid Shooter

Reading posts like this make me cringe.

I repaired an IO at the last build party I attended.
    Issue was bolt locking open every shot.
    Problem was right side interior rail welded too far forward, and bolt would drop , and catch on the back of the right interior rail at the back of the cycle.
    Tig welded more metal on the rail, and extended it. Some filing to smooth, and it ran well.
    The IO I fixed>>>
    [​IMG]

The weld on the interior rail before cleaning>>>
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up and running flawless >>>
    [​IMG]

If the top cover is too long you can use a pair of pliers to slightly bend the back lower lip in on the top cover for a better fit or you can file a bit off the front.
    A mallet should not be required to install the top cover!

Gas tube being loose is better than being too tight but screams of improper spacing between the RSB, and gas block.

Front sight being too loose means to me 'out of spec' front sight post.
    Could try a different one.

IMHO these kinds of SIMPLE issues should not be found on a purchased firearm. I have tutored newbies that have never built a gun before to build flawless functioning AKs THE FIRST TIME (this includes populating a virgin barrel).

I feel for you guys, and wish I was closer to you to help get these guns running flawless like they should.
    At the last build party I attended about a month ago there were ~35 rifles built in two days (3 were PSLs) to ~32 builders and 15 helpers (I was a helper).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  19. 98_1LE

98_1LE

I have inspected a couple at gun shows, and made in the US or not, I'd pick a WASR or the $500 converted Saiga from classic over the IO.

20. cole

cole Millennium Member

I'd be fine with 3-4 mags. BUT, the trick can be the mags. Until you know your AK will run with any mag, I'd want to run each different style mag through my gun. Also, ammo can vary. So, you'll want to check that, too. And, the more you stray from surplus mags and steel casae ammo the more unknown. So, it starts to add up. 90-120rds to confir an ammo and mag combo. Change one or the other and 90 more rounds. But, it's easy and fun to burn through 90 rounds. Can be tough on the wallet though.