Invitation for GTPI leftist trolls to read and comment on the The Biden-Harris Gun Control Plans

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Rex Vallachorum, Sep 24, 2020.

1. garya1961

garya1961

How would the government know if I sold my neighbor a gun? Do you mean we should have to register all our guns with the government.
    It has always been legal to build your own gun. Why does it matter if I start with a fence post and car axle or a hunk of plastic.

2. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

Thanks for clarifying. Its not that I don't think guns are important, its that I think there are things that as or are more important. Limits on executive power is up there on the list for me. Freedom of religion, press, pretty much all of the first Amendment.

Of course, if guns were the most important thing to me then I would vote for Trump.

What doesn't make sense to you, that I am on a gun forum? I own a Glock 19, a Browning Buckmark and have owned other firearms. I'm on this particular forum because it has excellent information on Glocks (in the main forum and a few others), of which I own (Gen 3 19 in OD bought with stimulus money - hence me coming on during that time). This forum was actually instrumental in me purchasing my Glock as many people answered my questions before the purchase.
    I'm on this particular forum to understand how people with opposing positions think. I believe the only way real change happens in society is when opposite groups have dialog - kinda like Ginsberg and Scalia were able to work together. Find common ground (hey, you and I both like guns!) and then discuss our positions.

Here's a great quote I found on an NBC article* on Ginsberg's strategy:

“I think the most valuable lesson is the strategy of not treating ideological foes as automatically irredeemable,” said Knizhnik when describing her biggest lesson from RBG. “RBG has always done her best to paint her adversaries' arguments in the best light, right before she argues forcefully for the opposite position. This does not mean that every argument is worthy of respect— rather, it simply means that we must strive for intellectual honesty, even when it is difficult.”

*https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/how-dissent-rbg-ncna881316

This is one of the reasons I don't like demonization of an entire group just because someone doesn't like their views (democrats are evil, etc). It only drives a wedge.

fg17, syntaxerrorsix and DADoser like this.

3. Scott1970

Scott1970

Personally, I despise getting permission from the government to exercise any of my rights. That includes all background checks, carry permits, etc., etc.

Apply the same “sensible restrictions” to any of the other Amendments, and it becomes clear how compromised the Second Amendment has become. How about a government mandated eight hour class, a fee, and a permit good for five years before you can write a letter to the editor of a paper or share thoughts and opinions on the internet? Maybe the government can shake down your house once your privacy permit expires?

If background checks were done away with it would not make me feel any less safe than I already feel.

I’d feel tremendously safer if violent criminals taken off our streets weren’t turned loose on us almost immediately in such high numbers.

4. garya1961

garya1961

What other constitutional right do I need to have a background check for? Maybe we should have to go through a background check before we are allowed to get on the internet. We don't want people just posting any old thing do we.

Bus007, Agonizer, trajan07 and 3 others like this.
  5. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

That is not a loophole. That is freedom.

Bus007, Agonizer, Cubdriver and 4 others like this.
  6. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

All right, somebody knows their history! Yes, Trump hasn't executed his ex wives or his political foes (but if it were legal I have my doubts Trump could resist).

Here are some similarities with Henry the VIII:

- He fought with the head of the church (Trump vs the Pope - look it up)
    - His hair was ginger (needs no explanation)
    - He was obese (seen Trump in his golf outfit lately?)
    - He loved power and being treated with reverence (also needs no explanation)
    - He treated adversaries with disdain (Trump loves giving demeaning nicknames)
    - He had an easily bruised ego

- Henry VIII was vain, braggadocios, loud, greedy, short-sighted, and hypocritical in the extreme.*
    - He nearly bankrupted his nation on his foolish spending and “vanity wars” meant to plump his own ego and let him see himself as a “warrior king.” *
    - He wouldn’t tolerate anyone questioning him. *
    - He thought himself above being influenced, but the truth was that he was extremely gullible and was easily manipulated by those around him.

So yes, I do think he is the modern day Henry VIII

*https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-think-of-the-similarities-of-Donald-Trump-and-Henry-VIII?share=1

7. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Someone remind me.

How many guns were used to murder thousands of people in September 11?

How many guns were used in The mass murder in Oklahoma City?

What weapon was used in the 2016 mass murder in Nice, France?

Guns are essential my illegal in France. Ergo there should be no “gun violence”. How many people were killed by guns, that can’t be purchased in France, at the Bataclan theater? How many people were killed in Marseilles in 2015 using fully automatic AK47s that are not possible to have in France?

Bus007, ExecutiveWill, pgg00 and 4 others like this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Yet all of your proposals amount to prior restraint on the law abiding. Will you accept prior restraint on your other rights?

See, I remember life pre-68. When guns were available in Sears Roebuck, and through the mail. Seems that we managed. Yet ever since, people like you have demanded slice after slice of freedom, assuring us that just a few more slices will make us safe. (I'd start the slicing in 1934, but I don't actually remember that).

I am completely unwilling to harass the good people any more. Please read this: https://www.statista.com/statistics...following-an-nics-background-check-in-the-us/

Between 1998 and 2020, 64000 indicted felons tried to buy guns. 196k fugitives. 47k lunatics, 30k illegal aliens. Oh, and 906,000 convicted felons. When you can show me that those 1 million plus prohibited possessors were prosected, then come back and float your plan for universal registration and such. Until then (and even after, but I'll need a different argument) you don't get to take any more slices of freedom.

9. Ollies930

Ollies930

Yes, he has a lot of personal shortcomings, not the least of which is a somewhat abrasive personality, but he is also the only one who is currently protecting us from having to learn chinese. And he has done more to stimulate the economy and bring back manufacturing to the US than any president in recent history, including BUSH 1+2. Got to give him credit for that.

10. Sam Spade

Fascinating that Khufu talked actions and you talked personalities. Fine commentary on what matters to whom.

Bus007, ExecutiveWill, RussP and 9 others like this.
  11. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

1st. quora is not a good source of facts.

Next, the issue Henry had with the church was not allowing a divorce. At that time in history you had two people who both actually believed that they were ordained by God for their positions and spoke directly to God. The Pope still believes that. I have never once heard President Trump claim that. But when you have two powers that both claim to divinely ordained, and those powers disagree, there will be clashes.

Next accounts of Henry did not have him obese until later in life. And many of his mental instability issues came later in life too. Modern historians, with much more medical information, believe Henry has syphilis. The records of him falling deathly ill, obesity and mental disorders are consistent with that.

Much of Henry’s problems with his wives were what was not understood about genetics and medicine at that time. He believed, truly believed, that he was not given a son because God was punishing him. The legitimacy of his divine right was because he was born as a king and he would pass that down to a son. Not having a son consumed him.

So anyone with 2% of analytical thinking can easily see that there is almost no comparison between President Trump and Henry VIII. The only people that would make the comparison are communists hoping stupid people buy their BS.

ExecutiveWill and pgg00 like this.
  12. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

I definitely agree about the bringing manufacturing back. Yes, he absolutely deserves credit for that.

13. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

You were doing so good until your last paragraph.

Look what I found:
    https://www.gishgallop.com/dna-test-reveals-trump-is-a-decendant-of-king-henry-viii/

sorry i couldn't resist :)

14. Cambo

Cambo

Without guns, or adequate guns, the government has total control. The 2nd Amendment preserves all others, although it is trampled in your state and mine. Why do you think Democrat politicians want to take them away? Because guns are in the way of their plans for controlling us. Again, you and I both know what government control looks like. You should not want that to be expanded.

Bus007 and Intolerant like this.
  15. Glockman4

Glockman4

People stupid enough to turn them in. Oh well.

pgg00 and Intolerant like this.
  16. DMaddox

DMaddox

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"

I think we have been infringed upon enough already.

17. Bradd D

Bradd D

We have enough infringements on our Second Amendment rights. It doesn't say "The right to keep and bear arms that are properly serialized and registered shall not be infringed.

We are blessed that you're not in charge.

18. Ollies930

Ollies930

You have no idea. After all I use logic.

19. Ollies930

Ollies930

You do realize that the US has over 20 times the gun related homicide rate that France has? As a matter of fact the US has one of the highest gun related homicide rates in the world for a non third world country.

20. Sam Spade

Logic is not the issue, Ollie. Logic just says that you can follow a chain of if-then, and that you don't do stupid stuff like making a hasty generalization.

The issue is the moral underpinning employed *prior* to beginning the deductive process. You put a far different emphasis on what the greater good is than most of the posters here. As I said, you're far more of a statist than I'm comfortable with.

With a literal million unprosecuted prohibited possessors running around, you want me to accept more restrictions on my freedom so that you can feel more secure. I won't do it. You want the government to have more say in what I do with my personal property. I reject both the morality of your idea and the efficacy of it.

Freedom is scary. I don't care. Government was not instituted to calm your fear, but to secure your rights.

ExecutiveWill, lopak, n2g and 8 others like this.