Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there is always another gizmo to buy for reloading.

Curious, what do you guys really have invested in reloading equipment (not consumables) - the number you would tell the insurance company, not what you tell your wife?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
If you are referring to equipment only i'd say i have about around $900.00 invested.If i were to amortize it by the volume of ammo made in the past 12 years then it has long been paid for several times over.

Reactions: Taft93730

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Everything reloading related but no supplies.. it was $20k when I upped my insurance.. that was several month ago.. I'd say around $22k these days. If I counted all the small tools and mods hiding in all kinds of places.. I don't even want to know.

I never got into reloading to save money. I freakin LOVE tools and tinkering.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I have no idea! Lots and lots... All in, I think I counted 17 presses including 5 shotgun loaders. I don't want to think about it!

The active presses: 650, 1050 and T7. Everything else is in storage and I suspect my heirs will sell it all and party on. Good for them!

Reactions: Taft93730

·
Registered
37,618 Posts
Scary thought, lets see;
RCBS Ammo master
RCBS jr
Casting equip, plus scales, powder measures, tumblers, case prep machine, I gotta think in excess of $10K? I shoot 8-10K a year, 40yrs worth, its all paid for 5-6X over. Guns are cheap, ammo is expensive.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea! Lots and lots... All in, I think I counted 17 presses including 5 shotgun loaders. I don't want to think about it!

The active presses: 650, 1050 and T7. Everything else is in storage and I suspect my heirs will sell it all and party on. Good for them!
17? Holy cow. How many calibers?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
~$4 k. Break even on cost was a long time ago.
If you look at it in terms of Trump's tax cut plan, you could depreciate those in the same year you bought them and for 5 years after, so, actually, you're way ahead, and if you've had them for 5 years, their cost is zero. Now, it's just the maintenance (oil, springs, etc.) consumables (powder, primers and bullets) cost... So, actually, over time, you've saved yourself a small fortune.

At least, that's how I tried to explain it to my Frau when the UPS guy dropped off some bullets... When she walks into the man cave, she just shakes her head. :supergrin:

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Sometimes I wonder what my setup would be if I would have gone the "minimalistic" route. And I'm not talking about a hammer and a bunch of those Lee reloader kits.

For the longest time I thought it would be the Redding turret but I think I changed my mind. My minimalistic setup would be more like this:

- Dillon 550, single stage kit, shell plate mod, Inline LED
- Dillon die sets, Lee universal decapper
- Hornady hoper, case activated powder drop, pistol drum, micrometer, expander set
- Dillon case gauges
- Frankfort stainless steel tumbler kit
- The "cheapest" lab grade scale made in Germany or Switzerland (no China crap)
- The "cheapest" caliper from Mitutoyo
- Redding tickler

Did anybody try the Uniquetek single stage kit?

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Sometimes I wonder what my setup would be if I would have gone the "minimalistic" route. And I'm not talking about a hammer and a bunch of those Lee reloader kits.

For the longest time I thought it would be the Redding turret but I think I changed my mind. My minimalistic setup would be more like this:

- Dillon 550, single stage kit, shell plate mod, Inline LED
- Dillon die sets, Lee universal decapper
- Hornady hoper, case activated powder drop, pistol drum, micrometer, expander set
- Dillon case gauges
- Frankfort stainless steel tumbler kit
- The "cheapest" lab grade scale made in Germany or Switzerland (no China crap)
- The "cheapest" caliper from Mitutoyo
- Redding tickler

Did anybody try the Uniquetek single stage kit?

Been a while since I was on the Uniquetek site, I didn't know these existed, not that I need one, which two single stage presses in my arsenal. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts