Inverter or generator?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by crazyasian1, Jul 5, 2019.

1. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Sorry for the double post, I’m not used to using the GT app but my host has no WiFi.

Need some assistance here.

BLUF: We’re moving and we have a metric butt-ton of meat. I’m trying to figure out how to get it to our new home 10hrs away without it spoiling.

Wife’s dead set on putting the 7 Cu. Ft. chest freezer in the back of the Nissan Titan and driving it 10 hours to our new home so we don’t have to give the meat away.

The house gets packed out on 22 July, we won’t be leaving until 27 July. The freezer will stay plugged in in the garage until we roll out.

That is currently the ONLY option. She won’t consider coolers and dry ice or anything else, which make me sense since we’ve got 5 days to get through. We’re down here now checking out the new area, so I can’t check the power specs on the freezer until next week.

So how do I do it? Generator or power inverter? How big do I need to go? I’m thinking 2000w, pure sine wave? That’s based on 10 minutes of research on Amazon and almost no electrical knowledge...

Bonus points if you can link me to a product on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

2. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

slamdunc likes this.

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

Get a generator, so many more uses down the road. The inverter gens from HF are perfect. Get the bigger one if you are moving to a storm area.

/

4. RenoF250

RenoF250

Let your wife deal with it since she is the one committed to it.

rock_castle, kiole and J. Gambolputty like this.
  5. bill123

bill123

You could go to Home Depot and get some 2"insulation board and encase the freezer. Tape down the freezer lid. I would think it would be fine for 10 hours

larry_minn likes this.
  6. Z71bill

Z71bill

I don’t see why throwing some dry ice in the freezer would be something your wife would “not allow”.

Freezer on its on may be enough for 10 hours - if inside a 75 degree house - but full sun for 10 hours - I don’t think it would prevent some major thawing.

Make the drive at night so no sun throw 15 pounds or dry ice on top.

It will last for 20 hours JIC you have some extra delay.

7. J. Gambolputty

J. Gambolputty

8. hammerkill

hammerkill Allegheny General

Inverter, they only run up to the rpms required for the load. generators run 3600 rpm all the time. volts x amps = watts

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Seriously, a metric ton of meat is NOT 7-CU ft. of meat, either give it away or pack it in ice. Seriously? 10 hours? Either eat it with friends and family or pack it in ice. Your wife is stupid, real stupid, and cheap.

10. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

You are out of line calling a member’s wife “stupid, real stupid..”

11. kiole

kiole

Spend a few hundred dollars to save $150 worth of meat makes sense

rock_castle likes this.
  12. Deltic

Deltic

I don't understand your wife's objection to dry ice. This is by far the best option. Any generator is going to cost much more and should only be run with a grounding rod. I don't know what would happen if you ran it in the back of the truck while driving but it might completely screw up the electrical system of the truck costing you thousands of dollars to fix. BTW a freezer may not take a lot of power to run but it could take a lot of power to start, 2,000 watts might not be enough.

13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Dry Ice costs a whole lot Less than a $500 generator...unless, like was posted, you are moving to an area where you will have a need for emergency power

14. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

A lot will depend on the start up load of the freezer. My work truck has two 3k inverters and they cost about 400 each. The dry ice solution would cost less and a 2k generator might not handle it at start up.

Caver 60 and Grumpy_old_man like this.
  15. Miguelito_

Miguelito_

Well, it is win-win. ANYTIME you can go buy a tool or piece of equipment that your wife is demanding you have to solve a problem is excellent! If you can swing the money get a generator that is large enough to use down the road. I would opt for a 5K minimum. Good luck to you.

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

A full freezer should go 10 hrs safely. I have been told running freezers after they are moved can cause issues....
    Personally defrost the thing NOW.
    Every time I defrost I chuck a lot as inedible, few things I cook, feed to fog, cats... But @15
    % gets tossed ( at least). Plus ice. Then don't buy anything for freezer, eat it up for next weeks. Save 2 ltr soda bottles. Fill 7-8 full, squeeze air out, freeze on their side. (You can adjust water levels on next bottle if too much). A full freezer stays colder longer.
    Finally load, plug into cord. Cover with cardboard, tarp...(leave motor area open) and secure well.
    Last thing before you leave. Unplug, cover open areas and drive.
    I might be tempted to call a eating place on way. "We are moving, have freezer full... Could we plug in while we eat"??? All they can say is "$&@$ no" or "ok"
    5 hrs wouldn't concern me at all

17. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

GFY. It’s REAL easy to give an opinion without being a complete [email protected], but I guess you haven’t reached that level of maturity.

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  18. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Thx all. I didn’t even think about just putting dry ice in the freezer!

A good generator would boring be beat, but that’s a little more than I’d like to spend.

I’ll figure it out, thanks again GT Brain Trust!

19. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

A lot of new deep freezers have a guarantee to keep food frozen for many hours without power in case of an outage. I'd cover it with a blanket and just drive the 10 hours with it off.

20. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump