close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Introduction....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Mwinter, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

I figured it's time to introduce myself. I've been on GT for a few years now, but in most of the other forums there is so much weenie-waving and drama that I typically "post and run".

Personal differences aside, most animal lovers tend to be kindred souls--at least in my experience.

I'm a cop near the DFW area in Texas. My wife Kim is a surgeon at a vet clinic nearby and is an avid shooter; still trying to get her to post here on GT.

Just got a small older house with 5 wooded acres, out in the boonies. Hawks, deer, plus all the smaller creepy-crawlers in abundance. As soon as we're settled we'll be starting back in the local wildlife rescue program, mostly for mammals and small birds. Donkeys and goats are likely in the future (pervos, stop right there! :))

Pets: I have a Malinois/shepherd mix, red fawn w/ black mask, and an alligator snapping turtle. i had a juvenile Texas ratsnake I caught on duty, but it escaped from the cage a short while back...hopefully I won't get off the toilet with it attached to anything vital.
    Kim has a registered Lhasa. We also have two giant horses, a palomino and a big draft-cross.

I like long walks on the beach, especially when bodies wash up (jk--they're smelly). Sorry, just had to be random and acerbic at LEAST once more.

A frequent poster here, scowan, is a good friend of mine. We went to college together, and since he is computer-savvy to say the least I will likely email some puppy pics to him and let him post them for me (honestly, if it doesn't have a trigger or some other kind of firing device/detonator, it normally confounds me...computers especially).

Looking forward to this forum.

2. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Nice to meet you.#wav Don't take offense to this, but anyone who'd keep a rattlesnake in their house voluntarily is nuts. (But then, I just don't like snakes.) So tell us more about that Malinois/Shepherd mix?

;g

;8 ;I

3. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

It was a RAT snake....non-venomous lol. I wouldn't keep a rattler in the house or anywhere near it; too many mammals I love to keep around that might get fanged.

Whenever I catch a venomous snake ( a few times yearly, usually on duty) I typically take it to the local nature center (or another wild area) and release it wayyyyyyy off the beaten path. Never had to shoot one, either...even the "evil" cottonmouths that seem to plague the superstitious locals 'round here ;f

4. voraus

voraus

I've had a couple of German Shepherd dogs and I just loved them. I thought I might look into a Malinois.

5. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I dunno how I read RALLTEsnake?! Guess I just ain't quite awake yet this morning.

;g

;8 ;I

6. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

The Mal/shep mix is a female, just over a year old, 'bout 65lbs. Short coat, sheds a LOT though. Looks a bit dingo-ish, colorwise.

She's EXTREMELY naturally fast and agile...she acts almost like one of the "ex-sleeper" assassins in a movie where they reflexively do some crazy kung fu move and then get this "where the HECK did that come from" look on their face.

About a week ago I said 'up' (she's very puppy-ish and we've only got simple commands down so far) the other night, and just happened to be standing near the arm of the couch (I was trying to get her up onto the couch so I could pick something out of her fur). She quickly leaped onto the very narrow, rounded arm of the couch, perched there like a gargoyle, just wagging her tail, then looked around and sheepishly hopped off.

I've only once seen her really mad, and it was frightening. I'm certain with moderate training she'll be a heckuva home protector. The rest of the time she is one of the most affectionate, laid back dogs I've been around. She raised a stray cat without any coaxing, and normally takes awful abuse from her little brother (the Lhasa, who likes to latch onto her cheeks or ankles and get dragged around) without a sound.

Abby was a county shelter pickup, and my wife thinks she has a bit more than shep/Mal in her lineage...I'm not all that well-versed in the breeds/attributes of most dogs.

7. sarge40

sarge40 Huge Member

Mwinter,

You really need to post a pic of your furries, and non-furries for that matter. We all love pics over here.

8. walkin man

walkin man

Welcome Mwinter, we are glad to have you as a member of our little family. Like any group sometimes we may get on each others last nerve, but it is a good group of folks here.

Like Sarge40 said, we like pics, and will look forward to yours.

walkin man

9. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Hey man, send me those pics and I'll get them put up.

For my own personal use, I'll be needin' a pic of wifey.;f

But seriously, if you have a decent pic of the two of you, send please.

It is amazing how agile larger dogs can be, ain't it? Iggy 125 and moves like a friggin' terrier.

I also have ony seen my pooch angry once. Some dumbass park worker made a fake lunge at us to be funny. Iggy came unhinged. If I didn't have the leash looped around my wrist, I'm conviced that guy would be dead or soprano, and I ain't talking about Italian people. He's not angry in this pic, but how would you like to see this coming at you and wantin' some?

[​IMG]

PS - this place and OAF are two safe havens on GT. Met a bunch of OAFers this weekend (Including THE Eric). Around 20 folks all hanging out for a few days. It was great. Can you imagine a get together with the Religious or political forums?

10. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

KEEEE-RIST Cowan....Iggy looks a LOT like one of those devil-dogs from Ghostbusters (at least in that pic). What is it with you and hellhounds, eh? ;f

(I sometimes whisper this Rick Moranis Ghostbusters line to the horses....Kim actually gets it which makes it funnier:

"Wait for the sign, when all captives will be released....You will perish in flames, you and all your kind!")

As for the get-together on the Religion or Politics forums....yes I can imagine it...I see it 5 days a week on the job. People hit/stab/disembowel/run over each other for the goofiest things.

11. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Hiya Mwinter!!!

I think you will like this forum.....there is not much traffic here, but the posts are quality in nature and we all help each other.

There is not much need for Mods here....everyone's really civil.......

Welcome!!! ;F