Glock Talk banner

Introduction and Guidance Needed

802 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  slamdunc 
#1 ·
Hi All

Firstly I would just like to say thanks for the add and I can't wait for all the knowledge from all the global Glock users :D. If this is the wrong forum for this thread I apologize and admin can feel free to delete

Let me preface this thread by saying I fully understand that a lot of the answers to this are based on personal preference and your ability to accurately shoot the specific firearm.

With that said I pose the following question: I am new to the EDC world and am looking at obtaining my first EDC pistol, after extensive research and a bit of range time I have narrowed my choices down to the Glock 19 (Gen 4 or Gen 5) and the Glock 43X. I am a relatively skinny guy (5'9" and Size 30 Waist) and would be looking at carrying AIWB (with spare magazine) as this seems to protrude less than 4 O'clock IWB.

I have had the opportunity to "test fit" a Glock 19 with a AIWB holster and I am able to conceal it however it is highly dependent on what T-shirt I wear. I have not "test fitted" the Glock 43X but I am assuming it will be more concealable*

I am a bit weary of the slightly reduced magazine capacity of the 43X but it does not make or break the deal for me.

I intend on carrying 24/7 and thus concealability will play a huge role in allowing me to do so. So with all that said I would like to know your opinions on the matter. Will the 4mm thickness difference of the 43X make a big enough difference to warrant the reduced magazine capacity or should I rather stick with the ubiquitous Glock 19 and if so which generation?

* I know concealability depends more on the grip length than the thickness but I am not a fan of shooting short grip guns such as the Glock 26 or Sig P365.

Note: I have shot both the Glock 19 and the 43X and shot both more or less the same. 43X slightly more left than the 19

See less See more
#7 ·
Welcome! My suggestion for you is that if at all possible you find an indoor range that rents handguns and try as many different models as you possibly can before making a decision on what to purchase. The smaller handguns with shorter grip lengths are easily made more comfortable to shoot and very much viable for concealed carry with the simple addition of a inexpensive pinky extension or extended magazine; i.e., the Pearce +0 magazine extensions offer an extra finger of grip and do not cause any extra printing; see the example of these used with my Gen3 G33 below, which is virtually identical to the G26 in size:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Also, don't paint yourself into a Glock corner simply because the name of this discussion forum is GlockTalk; there are many many other very excellent choices available out there that are more than capable of taking on the role of self defence and concealed carry that have better ergonomics, that are just as reliable, and are often available for less money than Glock, from H&K, SIG, CZ, SA, etc. Below is my everyday carry piece, a Springfield Armory XDs 3.3 in 45acp. It's reliable, accurate, and surprisingly easy to shoot for a small '.45:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

I carry it very comfortably at 4 o'clock inside the waistband as shown above, and I keep an extended factory mag in my front jeans pocket, all populated with 185 gr Golden Saber hollow points - and I never feel undergunned. Don't ever allow high capacity to give you a sense of superiority; it's not how many rounds you carry that matters in a self defense scenario, it's your ability to put as few rounds as possible where you need them to end the immediate threat that matters.

Best wishes on your quest.

#8 ·
Welcome! My suggestion for you is that if at all possible you find an indoor range that rents handguns and try as many different models as you possibly can before making a decision on what to purchase. The smaller handguns with shorter grip lengths are easily made more comfortable to shoot and very much viable for concealed carry with the simple addition of a inexpensive pinky extension or extended magazine; i.e., the Pearce +0 magazine extensions offer an extra finger of grip and do not cause any extra printing; see the example of these used with my Gen3 G33 below, which is virtually identical to the G26 in size:
View attachment 721792
Also, don't paint yourself into a Glock corner simply because the name of this discussion forum is GlockTalk; there are many many other very excellent choices available out there that are more than capable of taking on the role of self defence and concealed carry that have better ergonomics, that are just as reliable, and are often available for less money than Glock, from H&K, SIG, CZ, SA, etc. Below is my everyday carry piece, a Springfield Armory XDs 3.3 in 45acp. It's reliable, accurate, and surprisingly easy to shoot for a small '.45:
View attachment 721796
I carry it very comfortably at 4 o'clock inside the waistband as shown above, and I keep an extended factory mag in my front jeans pocket, all populated with 185 gr Golden Saber hollow points - and I never feel undergunned. Don't ever allow high capacity to give you a sense of superiority; it's not how many rounds you carry that matters in a self defense scenario, it's your ability to put as few rounds as possible where you need them to end the immediate threat that matters.

Best wishes on your quest.
Thank you very much for your advice

#13 ·
Welcome to G.T.

Reactions: JustinB_ZA
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.