Introducing my nephew to guns today.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Hey fams. On Sunday my father and I are going to the range, and I'm taking my 13 year old nephew with me. He's never shot anything other than a pellet gun before, so today I'm going over to his house at 3 to show him the 3 guns that I'm going to be taking with us: a Ruger GP100 .357, a 3rd Gen Glock 22 (I have a 9mm conversion barrel I could use if .40 is too snappy for him), and my WASR 10/63 AK-47 (it has a CAR-style collapsible stock that can be adjusted to fit him).

My first order of business is to teach him proper gun safety; that is, the rules as laid down by the NRA:

https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

The second order of business is to familiarize him with the proper handling of the firearms in question, such as checking and double-checking the guns to make sure they are safe, how to load them (there will be no live ammunition with me), and proper stance and handling technique, such as a proper shooting grip.

The range that we're going to is an indoor range with an extensive line of guns that you can rent, so if what I have doesn't work for him, we can try several other guns for a flat fee of $20/hour.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Any suggestions? This is the first time I'm taking a kid to the range, so I want to cover my bases. Thanks!

2. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Got a. 22? If so, I'd start there.

Although none of your listed models are "hammers " in the recoil department, I'd start with .38s in the Ruger. I'd also use your 9mm barrel in the Glock. Game here is to keep him interested.

Might want to also, from the range, see about "poker " targets or any type of interactive targets they may have. Just a thought, but I used poker target when I had the honor of introducing my grandsons this past summer. That and a dueling tree was a lot of fun.

Enjoy Man!!!! You're about to have a fun day and you get to pass on our heritage of freedom. Congrats.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

3. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

I'm keeping my boys in long guns for their first couple of years, then we'll move on to handguns when appropriate for their skill level/coordination (they are younger than your nephew).

4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I have a .22 Marlin M60, but the sights suck. I'm going to rent a better .22 at the range.

5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

+1 for starting with a .22. Your plan sounds thorough (safety, handling, etc)...good on you, sir.

6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thank you.

7. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Start with the .22 and work your way up as he shows confidence and handling skills. I would stay at 9mm/.38 and smaller on the first visit.
    Keep the .357 away till next visit if he like shooting. No need to make him recoil shy and the success of hitting the target with each successive gun should make it enjoyable.

motorcycleman and Jade Falcon like this.
  8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, there's no way I'm gonna let him step right in to the magnums. Those are gonna be for dad and I. In fact, I think I'll head to Walmart today and see what they have in .357. The hotter the better. :)

9. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

And double protect his ears. For obvious reasons and so the big booms don't intimidate him.

10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Could I rent an 5.56 AR-15, or do you think that would be too much for him?

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

At 13 IMO the .22 in long arm is the choice. Maybe rent, borrow a .22 pistol. Not knocking his maturity... Young men get excited. It's a bit Harder to muzzle yourself with a long gun. It's easier to keep muzzle down range with them as well. (If range dividers). Plus ammo cheap, noise, recoil low. If he does really good some .38 wad cutters.
    IMO save the AK, AR... For next visit. Keep this one rather short, keep him wanting more, and promising more next time IF HE PAYS ATTENTION! IS SAFE.

Make it fun, more in future... Ask what is available at range. I have seen "introduction" classes (many aimed at females, others open to any new shooter)
    On a normally slow range night they have multiple instructors, variety of range guns ammo for new shooters to try variety rather reasonably priced. IIRC $50 two hours, max of 8 people 3 staff people. Guns, ammo, range, ears... Included. (I heard explanation how membership purchase is good deal mentioned)

A really uncomfortable area.. His mom is ok with this? He will be talked about dangers of talking about range visit to some? It's cool to talk about stealing cars, killing thousands in realistic Vidio games... But that you were taught how to safely handle a firearm in controlled setting shooting at paper....... Just consider before talking... ;(

12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

First off today is Thursday. You will be shooting three days from now. Take a .22 pistol and rifle for your nephew to shoot for his first time. Graduate to a .38 spl. next. Get back to us after that. tom.:cowboy:

Inyo Tim, Jade Falcon and Dragline like this.
  13. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

He lives primarily with his grandmother on his father's side; she's okay with it, and his mother, my sister, is very pro-gun (I would classify her as a moderate Liberal; volunteers with and supports the homeless and believes in SOME feminist causes, but also believes strongly in responsibility and self-defense, believes that her son should know proper firearms safety and use, and believes strongly in the Right to bear arms). My sister suffers from Lupus, so when she's having a better day or week, I would like to get her to the range as well.

motorcycleman and deputy tom like this.
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Sounds good. Please realize we don't know entire situation. I see a hint of something. Just wanted to cover bases. I think everyone agrees a .22 rifle, (loaded with one rd first time) is the recommended starter gun. (I have seen semi autos fired by accident after first round excitement). A " clunk" when shooter forgets and tightens trigger finger is much better then a BANG. (!Even in safe direction).
    If a mistake happens. IMO have gun put down, if you can leave range area (let dad watch guns, gear). Talk it over calmly outside noisy area. Unless he Can't understand why it matters.. Go back and start over. Let him know if he learned from his error, will be more careful...
    Let him sit back and watch you, and his dad shoot. Breaks are important.
    IMO after shooting have everyone wash hands with soap, warm water if possible.

Edit to correct spell check changes.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You are doing a good job.

Here are some things I find myself emphasizing:

Need a baseball style hat. It keeps things from going over the top of sagging safety glasses, thus protecting your eyes from things that arc, such as bounceback bullets and ejected brass.

Earplugs inside earmuffs takes the shock out of the range monkey's ported blaster in the next lane.

Always assume all guns are always loaded. Some 12yr old pointed a gun at his friend's head and pulled the trigger killing him, because he didn't think the gun is loaded. How can that happen? Treat every gun as if it is loaded. Emphasis ends there. The "until verified" stuff is for a lot of what if's. If you treat every fricking gun you pick up or are handed, as if it is loaded, there'd be no pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger, and then claiming "I didn't think it was loaded." My dad tested me on this. Placed a gun before me, asked if loaded. Then showed it was empty, asked me to turn my head for a second, then asked me if it was loaded. Point being, you turn your head for a second and someone can load a gun without you knowing it.

16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

So I just got back from showing him what's what, and discussing firearms safety with him. He caught on pretty well for someone that has never shot a gun before.

And he holds a Glock like a total boss. I'm so proud. :D I think, with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel in there, he is going to shoot it very well. Probably better than the GP100.

Thank you very much. Yeah, I got the strong feeling that I should start him on a .22 at the range, so I'm going to rent both a .22 pistol for him to start with, and a .22 rifle, preferably one in an AR-platform, but a 10/22 Ruger will do just fine as well.

His stance is going to need work if he wants to move up to the WASR 10/63. I'm not thrilled about what I saw, despite my suggestions and teachings. So now that I have a better idea as to his frame size-to-gun ratio, I can comfortably say that yes, I want to start him on a smaller rifle first. Same with my Ruger GP100....it might be a bit too heavy for him. But we'll see....I think he could do fine with guidance and a light .38 Special load. I have a few .38 Special loads for him that I'm going to take, in fact. A target 132gr. FMJ load.

One thing that I did stress on was that none of it was a race. It is crucial that he only shoot at his pace, and that there is no rush in any of this. It's less stress for him.

I'm also going to ask him to wear a light T-shirt, so that any rifle he shoulders doesn't get caught up in his shirt, which happened slightly when he shouldered my WASR.

Excellent suggestions, thank you!

RPK Clone and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  17. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I start newbies out with a S&W K-22 6" bbl. revolver ...Teaches good habits and they make hits like crazy with it giving positive reinforcement. If that goes well, a .22 auto .... and end up at a 9mm for the first session.
    Move up to bigger stuff on subsequent range trips... Lay a good foundation the first time ...

18. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

So....I'm all set on ammo, with the exception of 7.62x39 for the AK, which we have to buy at the range. I bought 100 rounds of 115 gr. Winchester FMJ 9mm tonight, as well as 100 rounds of Remington/UMC 125 gr. SJHP .357 Magnum.

Added to that is my stock of 100 rounds of CCI 40 gr .22 LR Mini-Mag, 100 rounds of 165 gr. PMC Bronze .40 S&W, as well as about 35-40 rounds of .38 Special, also from PMC. The .38 Specials are going to be for my nephew (if he can hold the gun properly....it may be too heavy for him though), while dad and I shoot the Magnums. Ditto for the .40.

The 9mm, .38, and .22 are all for my nephew. We're going to rent a couple of .22 firearms there to see what works best for him, which is why I'm taking the CCI rounds, which have been collecting dust on my shelf for about 8 to 10 years. If I'm not gonna use them, then it's best that they go to save money on our range trip. We're gonna go to the range on Sunday.

I'll try and take pictures if I can. In the meantime, I'm off for a bite to eat and sleep. Dad and I have a cruise-in with his Mercedes SLK320 tomorrow at the crack of dawn.

19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

So we went to the range. It was pretty crowded, and the second we got onto the range itself, I had some RO yapping at me about something (he was trying to be helpful), but because I took my hearing aid out, I absolutely couldn't hear a word. I'm glad dad was there to help interpret.

We rented a S&W Victory with a suppressor for my nephew, and he liked it (so did Dad). It was the perfect pistol for my nephew, but I think next time I'll rent one without a suppressor because I think it was too front-heavy for him. Also should rent a .22 rifle as well.

They also both liked the 9mm conversion for my Glock, so I'm glad I had that. We didn't get to shoot any .38 Specials out of the Ruger, but Dad and I did shoot about 30 rounds of .357 Mag. Those loads were HOT! The trigger guard left my father with a slightly-bloody middle-finger, but nothing serious.

Dad and I both shot the AK, and I let Skyler have a magazine through it, but the rifle was just too big for him.

After that, we left. I think we spent about an hour-and-a-half on the range. All total, with the gun rental and ammunition for the AK and S&W, as well as targets and range fees, it came out to $170. No pictures I'm afraid....I was simply too busy loading mags and helping my nephew.