Introducing a son to the 19...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CaliDBA, Jun 9, 2020.

1. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

I'd like to say how grateful and thankful I am for the firearms community - I've met the nicest, most friendly folks on ranges and in class - and I'd thought I'd find otherwise, frankly (okay, I'm a black woman, and I was influenced by people who don't really know...I do follow Hickok45, Colion Noir, Warrior Poet Society and Garand Thumb on YouTube)

I'm introducing my middle son (28) to this wonderful world...Mom's selling him her Glock 19 Gen 3 for about half of what new, even some used ones I've seen cost (in Southern California, they're like platinum at this time); I found a Beretta 92FS on Gunbroker.com; I rented one at a local range, and have to say that I was hooked. Interestingly, I went through some papers of my late husband (he died in 2009) and found DROS (Dealer Record Of Sale) paperwork for a Beretta 92FS Vertec he'd owned at one point. My son is absolutely delighted to be getting a Glock 19!

Glocks are great firearms, rock-solid reliable; I feel good about my son having one that I've enjoyed shooting. I'm thinking about taking early retirement and relocating to the Ogden/Salt Lake City area, to find less expensive housing....and in Utah, I can get pretty much anything I want (yay!)

I'm insisting that he: a. Get his Firearm Safety Certificate (a requirement in California to purchase firearms) b. Take a Basic Firearm Safety class c. Have a secure gun safe to lock it up where he lives. I'm looking forward to taking him to some of the ranges I've discovered near me - I was introduced to shooting by a friend that lives in Utah, and I've just enjoyed it so much, and I want my son to do so as well (maybe I can get the other two interested!)

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

What a great mom!

Trench Sweeper, IAhunter and unit1069 like this.

3. unit1069

unit1069

I second that!

IAhunter likes this.
  4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Fantastic!! I think you have a solid plan with the requirements for your son and I think he has a kick-ass mom for giving him such a deal and for introducing him to the magical world of firearms!! :50cal:

My best to you both! :cheers:

pgg00 likes this.
  5. unit1069

unit1069

I went on an two-week excursion to southern Utah last September. I'd been in the state several times over the decades but never had the time or chance to explore it. What a magnificent area. I might seriously consider moving to Utah myself if my landlord raises the rent on the great home I live in now.

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Are you switching from the G19 to the Beretta 92?

I love my 92, but I like the G17, 26, 43, 43x all better as carry guns :)

7. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

Ah, I will probably get another Glock as a CCW - but I'll be able to get something like a G43 in Utah, which I can't in California. I also checked into getting a CC where I currently live - $387; in Utah, for residents, it's $53.25 for the application fee....

Joshhtn and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Before you move, or as soon as possible, get your license plates and drivers license changed. Many of us in surrounding states of CA are getting very tired of the influx of CA imports. Here we see quaint little towns being overrun by the west. Prices are going through the roof. Most bring their crappy leftist attitudes with them. I know that's not you, but no need to draw attention.

pgg00 and billy_56081 like this.
  9. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

Oh, for sure...I've been notified that my group is being outsourced and my position eliminated; my financial adviser says I can retire early (I've been applying for jobs, but I don't realistically expect to be hired; I'm a 1958 Baby :cool:), so I'm looking for a less expensive locale to live in, to purchase a small condo to age in place; I have a great friend in the area and I know a few other people. I will definitely heed your advice!

GW06, Joshhtn, pgg00 and 4 others like this.
  10. rock_castle

rock_castle Enjoys liberal temper tantrums & hissy fits

Your son is fortunate to have you for a mom. You will love living in a free state. Best wishes.

Joshhtn likes this.
  11. Seaweed02

Seaweed02 Boatswain's Mate

If you really like the Beretta 92 models, they do come in a compact size as well. Same feel of the slide, and trigger, and yet a little smaller. I think even possible to carry. I love the triggers on those Beretta 92 Series pistols. I have many.

12. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    My sentiments exactly! Good luck with your retirement in free America. I spent six years in CA in the 1990s. Couldn’t wait to get out and it is much worse now.

13. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I love my Berettas. By the way great job Mom. Also, if you really want a Beretta and funds allow for it look at either wilson combat Beretta 92s or Langdon 92s. More expensive....yes but definitely worth it.

Gfive45 likes this.
  14. walke121

walke121

Awesome!!! Never to late to bring someone else into the firearm world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. pgg00

pgg00

I fled CA years ago as well. Let me say congratulations on the retirement

Joshhtn likes this.
  16. seamaster

seamaster

You can get a utah permi now while you live in California. Utah has reciprocity with many other states so if you travel you get the benefit of carrying while traveling.

I do a road trip every year and its piece of mind having one. But one year I brought two pistols and that's too many. The one you're not carrying becomes a burden!

17. John_AZ

John_AZ

Utah is a great place. I lived just south of Ogden (Layton) for a few years in the military. Beautiful and friendly people. Lot of good locally owned restaurants as well!