Interview questions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by silentpoet, Feb 23, 2010.

1. silentpoet

silentpoet

Got an interview thursday for an automotive sales position, what questions should I ask? What questions should I be prepared to answer?

I am currently employed but looking for a better paying job.

2. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Some questions you may be asked are: describe a situation where you acted as a problem solver, a situation when you had to deal with an abrasive coworker, where do you see yourself in five years, why you want to work for ABC Auto Sales.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010

3. Bado

Bado

Are car sales turning around?

4. hamburger

hamburger

Forget the questions, just let them know you own a glock. JK.

5. RichJ

RichJ

When I landed my job, my interview was totally unexpected and unplanned for. I literally got a call and was asked when I could come in. I told them as soon as possible. They said how about tomorrow morning at 8:00? I said sure, I'll be there. It was out of town so I had to do quick prep for the trip and never had time to even think about questions.

I had done a ton of interviews already and did the question and answer thing back and forth preparing for all of them. I was always very nervous and none of them went really well. So with this one I went in with zero prep and nothing to loose, consequently I was completely relaxed. I had a great interview and things just fell into place. I was honest and didn't give them any scripted answers or BS to whatever they asked. If I didn't know anything about what they were asking I just told them so. It was more of a conversation than a question and answer period so when they wanted to know if I had any questions I just continued along what we were already talking about.

When I left the office I knew I had the job. So in summary, just be yourself. If you are really qualified to have this job and are a good fit for it, it will show without you having to prep for it.

6. silentpoet

silentpoet

They'd probably be really impressed with my norinco 1911.

7. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

If I remember right, you are interviewing for a sales position.

I remember my second sales interview way back when. The interviewer asked me a variation of “Sell me this pen.” He said, “North Carolina Liberty, I like you. You are [adjective, adjective, adjective], but you just don’t have that certain something. I’m not sure what it is. I’d take you in to see the president, but there is just something that is lacking.”

Well, I figured out too late that I was supposed to sell myself to this guy by filling in that blank for him. The funny part was the reaction I got when I told that story to others. My co-worker told me how he figured it out right away when it was pulled on him. Another co-worker said she hated those kinds of tactics and people should just be straightforward. The funniest reaction was from my aunt who almost exploded by saying, “What the f—k is wrong with those people! Stupid sons-a-*****es.”

Well, good luck in your interview. Hope it works out.

8. happy seal

happy seal

Dont go into car sales, it's a cut throat kill your mother position.
    But if you do,
    Ask
    = are the customers distributed among the salesmen in order ( ups, an up is a customer that walks in and should be doled out in a rotation ) if the owners son gets all the ups then your screwed.
    How much stock do they carry?
    What kind of rep do they have, selling crap catches up with you.
    What product line do they sell? some as you know will sell better than others.
    What kind of draw will you get off your commision?
    HOW IS THE SERVICE DEPT AT PREPPING CARS AND SERVICING THE RETURN COMPLAINTS?
    LOL! :wavey:

9. JMS

JMS 02

The better paying job might be where you are already. I have friends in the car business for 15 years that are struggling, even with mainly having referral business.

10. silentpoet

silentpoet

Well I make 9ish per hour right now. I know I can do better than that.

11. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

1. Do you guys like guns?
    2. What's your stand on 9mm VS 45acp?
    3. What's your favorite zombie movie?
    4. Do you carry at work also?
    5. If you got in a gun fight in this dealership what gun would you prefer to have with you?
    :whistling:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  12. major

major Rejected member

That's easy.........ask YOURSELF this question, "If I am already lucky enough to have a job, why in the world would I quit it to try to sell cars when so many car dealers in this economy are struggling to just keep their dealerships open?"

13. Calico9

Calico9

Why not try finding a part-time auto sales job to see what you are getting into? You can decide which job you like better after a couple months.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

You cannot succeed at automotive sales if you do it part time.

15. JMS

JMS 02

You and I both did car sales back in the day, it's a bad economic environment to go into car sales nowadays.

16. carguy1440

carguy1440

I'd suggest doing a search on Eddy Kay on youtube. He did my sales training and it works well. If you go in with some knowledge about selling the interviewer will pick up on it right away. Also, a techique I use when interviewing people is to ask all the regular questions, then act like I get off topic and bs with the person for 10 or 15 minutes. This gives me a better impression of what kind of person they are and how they will fit in at our company. Be ready for that tactic.

17. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    here's a little advice, it's free, so you get what you pay for. . .

You're applying for a sales job. Don't forget to close. When I was a sales manager hiring people, I would never hire someone that didn't try to "close" on the interview. . .it doesn't need to be a hard sell, something as simple as

"based on our conversation today, do you feel it beneficial for us to continue the interview process to the next level?"

I don't know about selling cars, so I don't know specifics on questions you should ask, I'm sure one of the car sales guys here will hlp with that.

My wife is in HR and interviews people all day. One of here favorite questions now is. . .

"There are thousands of people in the area looking for work, there will be hundreds of resumes for this position, tell me one reason why I should offer you the position over them?"

and don't Bullsh1t an answer for that. . .tell them why YOU should get the job.

and I'll end with a "funny" story.

For final interviews in our company, we set up "group interviews". Where the person will meet with 8 people (2 at a time for 30 minute interviles). We were interviewing a Person for a sales position, and everyone really liked her. It was the president of the company and I and he asked the woman

"what made you decide to get into sales?" (it would have been her first sales position)

She started to respond "well, I know it's a cliche, but I really like people. . ." and before she could finish her answer the President interupted and said "Great!!! I need a receptionist! You'll talk to people all day answering phones, and greeting people when they come in. If you want a job here, you can start there, you can start Monday"

He got up and left the room. everyone liked her enough that she probably would have gotten the sales job, but her answer cost her the position. She took the receptionist job, lasted 4 weeks and quit.

18. staplebox

staplebox Trudging along

I don't hire sales people so you should take the advice of those who do or are sales people. Post 8 convinced me he knows what he is talking about and you should probably go in sounding like you know what you are talking about.

I do interview and hire people regularly and it is usually apparent right away if they know their sh-- or not. It's tough to BS someone who knows their business so either know you sh-- or admit you don't and tell them how you'll catch up.

I don't mind hiring people who will need to learn otj - I won't hire some who tries to BS me.

I prefer the rambling type interviews. I like the interviewee to talk more than I do. Nothing quite like a long uncomfortable silence that forces people to talk. I am most interested in making sure that they fit the job/Co and the job fits them. If the job I have to offer doesn't seem to naturally fit on their path in life then I'll pass - usually mutually.

Good luck.