Internet Security 2010 ~ How to get rid of it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ChiefWPD, Feb 7, 2010.

1. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I'm stuck with this software infection, Internet Security 2010. Anyone know how to get rid of it? My SpyHunter software program sees it but can't get rid of it. I can't even remove the damn thing manually!

Thanks.

2. SoBored20

SoBored20

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will get rid of it. You can get it free from www.download.com You will probably have to start your comp in safemode to execute the program though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

3. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

There's your problem. Using an arcade game from the 80s to protect your computer isn't a good idea.

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

That particular bug is fraudware, Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) will most likely get rid of it without you having to hack the machine too hard. Do run it in safe-mode and check the hosts file to make sure it hasn't been altered.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\ect\hosts open it with notepad and make sure it's empty, if it isn't delete the contents (not the file).

Sometimes the fraudware will alter the hosts file so the next time you go to gooogle you will get re-infected.

If the machine's infection is far enough along you may have to download Malwarebytes on another machine and then install it on the infected box. You can get definitions for MBAM here: http://mbam.malwarebytes.org/database/mbam-rules.exe though the definitions will be several revisions old.

Finally, stop using IE to browse the internet, FireFox and Opera are vastly more resilient to the kinds of attacks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

if its the one im thinking of it was a PITA, actually had to go back to factory settings to get rid of it .. it will not let you run any av programs or anything ..

7. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

:rofl:

8. cmb19

cmb19

When you download Malwarebytes, change the file name so the virus doesn't recognize the program. Changing the file name was my only option, I couldn't even download it to another computer first and get it to work.

9. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I've been infected with it twice now. It is a real annoying bug and hard to get rid of. Malware Bytes should take care of it for you.

10. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Thanks guys. I tried Malware. No joy. Had to call in a local IT guy (super fella, was working in our town's library, saw my email on his Blackberry and gave me a call. Came over (1/2 mile away) and it took him around a 1/2 hour to knock this bug out -- on a Sunday...). The IT tech basically confirmed what some of you guys were saying about this nasty bug. He told me it's not really a virus, thus can be hard to detect by the anti-virus software programs. He used "Combofix" to get rid of it. He suggested I put SpySweeper (from Webroot) on my home machines but keep AVG 9.0 for anti-virus software.

As an aside, this guy is really unique. He came to this country from Romania when he was 16 (he's around 30 now). His English is perfect. Tremendous work ethic, really fair prices. Very successful in the field, likes living in a small town envirionment.

:wavey:

11. Zonny

Zonny

12. j-glock22

j-glock22

That's another good reason to have a good software and hardware firewall working together for you. Ever since I got the hardware box, I haven't had any major hackware problems for nearly a year now. These bugs are getting more and more sophisticated every year, gotta keep ahead of the game. CCleaner is another handy tool to help keep things clean as well as a Registry check/cleanup. I also have IE to completely clean out all temp files etc... after I close the browser. FF should have a similar feature, although I haven't used it in a while.
    Hope this helps...

13. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I observed the operation you performed at that location.

14. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I'm curious how combofix caught it but MBAM didn't, did you run Malwarebytes in safe mode or just standard windows environment? Did you install and update MBAM or were you forced to install it from thumb drive and manually update the definitions.

I'm curious what you tried before you called your tech.

15. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

+100 malware bytes

I just got it and ran it...576 infections.All gone now.

16. Zonny

Zonny

:shocked: Don't come anywhere near me!! :outtahere:

17. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Oh boy, way too many tech questions for me to answer. I had tried the Malware and was running it when the IT guy came. The computer wasn't in safe mode. He installed the combofix from his thumb drive I (believe).

Although I was watching him he had to do so many different operations to clear the problem up I couldn't keep it all straight.

18. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Fair enough, combofix is an "advanced" malware destroyer with a ton of great utilites built in, malwarebytes is more "user friendly" being that it's graphical and menu driven.

I was just shocked that MBAM didn't work but, it sounds like you never got a chance to see if it did.

I'm just glad you killed the infection, either way.

Now, to keep it from happening again use FireFox or Opera to surf the web, turn off Javascripts. Using Internet Explorer is a bit like trolling for 5 dollar hookers, eventually you're bound to get something you didn't bargain for.

19. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I had something very similar to that last fall...

Could NOT get rid of it. Safe mode...nada. Malwarebytes wouldn't download/install for anything. Even AFTER i changed the name of it when it was downloading.

What I ended up doing, something that i need to do anyway, was to get a completely new install of Win XP. Viola..."brand new computer".

Runs like a champ, now.

Glad you got your problem taken care of!

-J-

20. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD