Home > The Main Room > Tech Talk > Internet remote access service?

Internet remote access service?

1. Do you have an Internet remote access service so you can get into your PC at home when youÂ’re on the road? What provider? Are you happy with them? What are the notable limitations?

TIA,
    Tennessee Slim

2. I have used all of the following solutions. I prefer the last one.

I use LogMeIn Free (www.logmein.com). Easy setup, allows me to remotely control my computer from anywhere there's internet access. The free version only provides remote access. The pro version supports remote printing, file transfer, file syncing, etc.

Alternatively, you could always just setup Remote Desktop on your computer, get an address for your dynamic IP (DynDNS, No-IP.com), and then you could just open Remote Desktop on any PC and enter your computer's address. This will allow you to do remote printing as well.

Thirdly, I also use a combination of software from a company called BitVise(www.bitvise.com). I run the WinSSHD server at home, keep the Tunnelier softare on my USB thumb drive, and then have SFTP, Remote Desktop, and direct console access to my home computer. This allows you to do remote printing, file transfers, or use your home computer as an internet proxy to bypass firewall.

3. You could also use something like FreeVNC or UltraVNC.

4. I've modified this to allow me to do all of the following above.

http://buzzsurf.com/surfatwork/

Port 443
    dyndns.com
    putty
    winscp

I could force all traffic to my house, and I do occasionally when traveling. But normally I just have one browser set for the tunnel and another not.

John

5. For some of my friends that I do "tech support" for, I install hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) on their PC and create a private network, then I just use microsoft's RDP or have them send me a help request. works wonderfully.

6. A combination of other posters.

I am lucky to have more than one PC at home. The one I connect into has Linux. I do this from my own laptop (nowhere else).

Dynamic IP for home, using a Dynamic hostname director.

SSH local -> remote (using key authentication, etc)
    - forwarding of remote port to local port (both LNX, WXP)
    - VNC Client to local port for the box I want to connect to

Takes the normal traffic for VNC and routes it over the SSH connection. Makes it appear that I am only SSHing to the remote PC. You can probably do it with MS RDP.

I can neither confirm nor deny this has been done at work.

7. VNC SSH tunnel