close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

internet adware / spyware !@$##@!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Atlas, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Any advice for the best firewall/virus-killer software to deal with these pesky things?
    I've got them from "GAIN Network", "Bargain Buddy", "Precision Time", etc. etc.

How do these people make revenue from this cyber-crap?
    Damn them and their accursed progeny for 1000 generations!

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

The Gain crap got on my wife's PC. If you go into the program, there is a way to delete it. IIRC, you can also do it from your control panel in the "Add/Remove Programs" section.

After that, I would recommend you download (FREE) AdAware and Spybot. Use both. Each will pick up on some the other missed. Together they do a good job of cleaning up. Then, run those scans religiously.

If you need anti-virus also, download a free copy of AVG. I use all three and am pleased so far.

3. jonasola

jonasola Swede

Install Mozilla. This free browser works just like IE but it's pretty bullet-proof from pop-up crap. I made the switch a few months ago, and there are very few things that get by the built-in pop-up blocker. As far as functunality you'll get used to the new menus and buttons in about two days!

Good luck,

Swede

4. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I forgot about pop-ups. To combat them, I downloaded the free Google toolbar. I use it to search the net, etc. There is also a free pop-up blocker with it that works great. I may have one or two slip by out of 100.

5. michaelj1978

michaelj1978

i have spysweeper on my computer, i bought it, but you can download a bunch of stuff on thier website,, www.webroot.com

also google lavasoft and adaware and go there and download some of thier things.

i got it so bad on my computer at home i just reset everything on there and started over again. saved what i wanted to disk then did a system restore.

6. AAshooter

AAshooter

Oxcops and I are on the same page. I use the free version of Zone Alarm as far as a firewall.

7. tna55

tna55

Ditto Ad-Aware and Spybot, also get AVG anti-virus. These are all free for home use and work really well for me.

8. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

9. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

I second AdAware and Spybot S&D Use both and make sure they are updated. As for using another browser that only helps with pop ups, not all spyware!

Forget the software firewall if at all possible! The built in firewall in windows XP and espicially XP service pack 2 are just as good. I prefer a hardware firewall. An elcheapo router w/ firewall is better than the best software firewall w/o draining resources...

Next, avoid naughty sites and you will have 1/2 the spyware ;)

Jamie

10. Toyman

Toyman

This is utterly false.

The XP Firewall only provides protection from incoming packets, whereas ZoneAlarm will provide protection from incoming and outgoing. ZoneAlarm is industry recognized as being one of the best software firewalls out there.

A firewall that only protects from incoming attacks will do NOTHING to protect you from adware that loads through the browser, as once it is loaded through a hole in the browser (or from you OKing it) it will communicate OUT of your computer. A software firewall like ZoneAlarm also protects on a program-by-program basis, instead of just a port and/or protocol basis.

11. BULLCARVER

BULLCARVER

FREE - I get no popups...ever.
    I run them both once a week.

12. Dwweeb®¿ç

Dwweeb®¿ç ©®@©k3d M3mb3®

13. PirateShot

PirateShot CalmerThanYou

14. G17-jimmy

G17-jimmy

I use ALL of these to keep that crap off my pc's:

Hijackthis Be careful with this one, it will list all of the stuff like google toolbar, realplayer, any stuff like wireless adapter config programs. You will have to go through the list this one generates first and decide which entries should be ignored and add to the ignore list, then go back and re-run it and fix the real problems.

Spybot After you install this one run the update to get the latest defs, and then run the program to detect issues. Spybot has a companion program, called tea timer, that runs at startup to keep things from modifying registry settings. It can get annoying if you forget to disable it before you start a program install.

Adaware Make sure you get adaware from this site, there are several mimic programs (ie Ada-ware). Again you will need to run the update program to get the latest defs. This one also has a startup program to monitor changes, but I prefer Tea Timer to the Adaware monitor program.

CWShredder This one is specific to a couple hijacks that are out there that change your default search page, and other devious changes.

there may be others out there, but I do Information Security for a living and these are the programs I depend on.

JC

15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Step One: Remove all Microsoft products from your computer.

THEN we can take care of all the vulnerabilities and get locking things down.

DanH

16. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

17. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

;)