close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Internet access questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bangelo, Sep 6, 2004.

1. bangelo

bangelo MAC dADDY

Ok Im at keesler afb for tech school. And they dont have internet access in the dorms. Well i do. My cell phone hooked up to my laptop. Any way We cant get dsl here because there are no phone jacks and the ether net ports on the walls are dead. So My friend and I set up a wirerless network consiting of 5 AP's linked together so people can play games witht eachother wirelessly. But We really want to get a broadband internet solution going here. I share my cell phone internet and 1 or 2 people use it but its slow as hell. I was thinking about satellite, just setting up a dish in my room pointing out the window. But i dont know how big they are. Any one have any more options thtat i havenet thought of? Thanks

2. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

You have ethernet ports in the walls that are dead? Is there a network administrator that you can contact to activate them? They can turn them on/off at will. In most cases, empty rooms will have the ports deactivated until someone moves in and asks to have their port turned on.

3. bangelo

bangelo MAC dADDY

Ive already talked to some one about it and they dont want them turned on. When thtey get done building the other dorms they will activate them but by that time ill be long gone.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Anytime the military says something is going to be done it takes an average 2 to 3 years.

Hurry up and wait.

5. fatlander

fatlander Comrade

they don give you hell because of the security problems with wifi connection?

6. bangelo

bangelo MAC dADDY

Its my network, its not connected to the governments computers. So... No they dont

7. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

As long as there isn't any classified information floating around on the WiFi network, they generally don't care.