GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Pharaoh
34,525 Posts
How efficiently German! :rofl:

Anyway, I find that even a cheaper flight is generally only nominally so. Sometimes having a flexible schedule helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes buying far in advance is helpful, other times not. It seems that you're more or less at the mercy of seasonal price fluctuations, though for spring break 2010 I flew to Spain and back for about $650, while the flight for the same period this year looks to be around double that. I've already got my tickets for this march to visit the girlfriend's sister near Frankfurt, which cost about the same; so that hurt.

Also, perhaps some airlines serving the area in which you'll be traveling offer a feature like SwissAir's website. It allows you to view a map where you can manipulate the departure and destination airports to very easily compare the fare costs, typically comparable to other airlines' fares for the same two airports. When we were originally going to Germany in a different month, it turned out that a flight to Liechtenstein from Atlanta was about $400 cheaper (!!), and even with the flight to and from ATL, and train fare once in Europe, would have been pretty good savings. Could've been a one-time thing, but who knows?

Good luck.
I have never seen an airport in Lichtenstein. I dont even know if the damn place is long enough for 10000ft runway. I doubt it wide enough. I suspect that you were flying into CH (Zurich). Just some uselss trivia. Lichtenstein isnt big enough to take care of many govt functions (i.e. license plates) and they outsource to CH.

·
Pharaoh
34,525 Posts
H

Also, perhaps some airlines serving the area in which you'll be traveling offer a feature like SwissAir's website.
Swissair is nice. Good food. Chocolate. Espresso on on board.

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
Airlines use very complex data crunching algorithms to determine price. There are instances where prices are fluctuating by the hour, and sometimes within a 5 min window.

·
Shrug Life
2,454 Posts
I have never seen an airport in Lichtenstein. I dont even know if the damn place is long enough for 10000ft runway. I doubt it wide enough. I suspect that you were flying into CH (Zurich). Just some uselss trivia. Lichtenstein isnt big enough to take care of many govt functions (i.e. license plates) and they outsource to CH.
I could have sworn that the destination airport was listed as Liechtenstein, but I now read that they definitely have no airport. You must be right about Zurich. That, or Lichtenstein airport is one of those big inflatable pads the stewardesss aims for when they kick you out of the emergency exit on the descent to Frankfurt.

·
Pharaoh
34,525 Posts
Keep in mind some airplane tickets inside of Europe include a train ticket with them but they dont really say that you are riding a train.

·
Shrug Life
2,454 Posts
Keep in mind some airplane tickets inside of Europe include a train ticket with them but they dont really say that you are riding a train.
Thanks, I never knew that. I thought I'd been Swiss-trolled for a minute, there.

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
Roger that. It looks like I get 1 bag free and 1 carryon at that price, which is sufficient.

Good thoughts. Delta hub out of Salt Lake. So it's likely to Chicago or Houston then to Amsterdam and KLM from there down. Any thoughts on KLM? I flew Lufthansa out of Brussels last time, but it's been a looooooong time.

I'll have several hours each stop to loosen up the legs, eat, etc.

Anyone ever use google flights? https://www.google.com/flights/
I have never flown KLM but they are sister Airline with Air France which is a great airline to fly on.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts