Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Mar 22, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD

Does anybody know anything about this stuff? I've read a few articles about it lately and some very positive feedback from some of the folks at the CrossFit message boards.

Not thinking of trying it, at least at the moment. Just curious if anybody here as tried it or has studied about it.

The basic idea is to NOT calorie restrict, but to either eat every other day or eat everyday, but cram all the calories into small time windows, like say noon to 5pm. Supposedly ya feel like hell for a couple of weeks and then don't feel hungry. Several CFers do this and claim to have gained muscle, feel great, have improved scores, etc.

The first thing that attracted me to it, other than the fact that it's really weird, LOL, was the efficiency. Imagine skipping breakfast and lunch and just cooking and sitting down to eat one time per day. That would be cool.

It also made some sense from a paleo standpoint. I just finished Paleo for Athletes, and think it makes good sense. Before very recently, I assume that folks probably ate little or nothing for long stretches and then gorged themselves when they made a kill or discovered a large supply of high calorie food (nuts for example?). I haven't read anything about IF from this standpoint--just a thought.

DBD

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Jezuz, thats news to me.

I feel like crap if I don't get to eat every three hours.

But I have to admit, not having to eat as often as I do would be enjoyable.

Damn crazy crossfitters.;)

3. DBradD

DBradD

Ain't that the truth. I'll read about it to see if it makes any sense. They claim that the body gets used to going a long time without eating, so there's no metabolic problems. Anyway, they might just be nuts.

I eat a small meal about every 3 hours also and that got old a long time ago. It would be cool to do as well physically and not do that.

A lot of those guys do contrast showers too. I tried that for a week and didn't notice a bit of improvement. Did freeze half to death, though. Some people just like to torture themselves.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

They're called Crossfitters.

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I thought they were called boyfriends and husbands.:rofl:

Just kidding.

6. DBradD

DBradD

LOL. I think CJ was correct. I remember early on in CF thinking that it really wouldn't be hard to invent a system like that. Take a few staple compound, functional exercises and just overdo them, mixed up randomly. If ya don't get hurt, then you'll be in great shape.

7. California Jack

8. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

If you decide to go on a 24 hour fast, be sure to pound a lot of water. When you end the fast, east a light meal such as fruit or a salad.

9. DBradD

DBradD

10. California Jack

11. DBradD

DBradD

So if the guy who wrote the article in the middle link says it's good, then there's a good chance it's not bunk?

12. California Jack

Yeah, if Mike Eades wrote a positve article, I think there is a good chance it's not bunk.

I trust him a lot more than the Crossfit nutjobs.

13. DBradD

DBradD

:laughabove: :laughabove:
    The last time I did something based solely on their recommendations, I froze myself half to death trying contrast showers with no positive effect. I'm pretty much convinced that some people get a real charge out of pain.

14. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

I read the http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=278 article and it sounds interesting, but the "studies" don't seem to be very thorough. E.g., having a sample size of two and "We didn’t check any lab work to see if any values had changed." And then there's the physicians' study with a sample size of three and the big list of supposed benefits {" symptoms due to CNS inflammatory lesions (Tourette’s, Meniere’s)"?) in only two weeks?

Try it yourself and let us know how it works for you.

15. California Jack

Wth all due respect, I think the Eades were not trying to prove the effectiveness of IF, only the practicality.

16. DBradD

DBradD

Well, because I'm half-insane and enjoy turning myself into an experiment, I decided to give IF a try.

Today was Day 1.

I'm going to try eating from 4:30-5:00pm to 10:30-11pm every night. Shooting for 2000-2200 calories (5'-8", 187 lb bodyweight, 13%BF), 40/30/30 carb/pro/fat ratios. Tea, water, and anything else zero calorie are fair game during other times.

Today's story:

I was not anywhere near as hungry today as I thought I would be.

Starting at about 2:00pm, I started getting a little distracted, feeling a little shaky, etc., but not enough to keep me from working.

Drunk about 150 ounces of water, 2 cups of green tea, and 2 diet cokes (yeah, terrible I know...I'm a serious caffeine addict and can't stand that much tea and hate coffee) during the day.

I had a sirloin + plain sweet potato + grilled veggies + bowl of cereal (yeah, I know, bad too...) btwn 4:40-5:00pm. Up to about 900 calories.

Hard conditioning workout at 8:30pm, which had me worried. I felt fine, though, as well as I ever would anyway.

Post-workout meal was everything else I could cram down my throat to get over 2000 calories with the planned proportions. Actually still going as I type, LOL--about 300 calories to go!

Impressions so far:

Wasn't very hungry except the last couple of hours.

It is a load off not having to "watch" what I eat continuously throughout the day.

It is a lot easier satisfying calorie and macronutrient goals when all the food is eaten in a couple of short spurts.

The Paleo for Athletes folks emphasize the importance of pre & post workout meals. My current plan puts ALL food as pre & post workout meals, LOLOL. That seems like a good thing.

I have had a history of feeling like total crap when I don't eat often enough, causing anxiety going into long meetings, etc. This really had me worried, but wasn't a problem. I think I was a fat-ars back then and was probably heading toward diabetes. I find some psychological relief in knowing that I CAN function well without eating for an extended period of time. If I had to, I could've kept going without eating at 4:40pm.

17. proactive

proactive

Thanks for sharing. IF doesn't sound like something I could stand to do, but I'd like to hear an update about your experiences in a week or so. Good luck with it.

18. hotlunch

hotlunch

I read up on the calorie restriction stuff many moons ago. There is an MD who has a book out called "The 120 Year Diet" that was pretty good and gave tips on fasting. I don't recall that method being the same as what you describe trying to do now though.

Still, I'd look up the book and see if it has any helpful tips.

Always better to eat less than too much. Shame it's so hard to do!

19. DBradD

DBradD

Thanks hotlunch.

From what I've read, CR is completely different from IF. Might be some things helpful in there, though.

Today was harder than yesterday. I was doing miserable boring work (literature review), so was just sitting here watching the clock all day.

The CF people say 10-14 days and they felt fine. That's a long time! I didn't feel that bad, though. I even set a pullup PR tonight and feel completely recovered from yesterday's conditioning workout. A few times, I did find myself wondering if going straight Zone might be smarter.

20. California Jack

I wasn't going to call you yoyoer of the year based on your varying workout programs. But you may earn the title with your dietary fickleness.
    :)