Interesting video of interaction between the FBI and FL Sheriff's deputy

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wreckless, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I'm quick like that

ranger1968 likes this.
  2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Indeed you are.

As to the incident, thank God for video, I don't think anyone here who is actually a cop doubts for one second that the FBI Special Agent would have misrepresented the encounter if it had not been captured on video.

CAcop, pgg00 and Dragoon44 like this.

3. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Lot of drama and bickering back and forth here!

I for one hated this guys use of "brother" every 1.3 seconds throughout the video.

4. Gos

Gos

It would have been interesting to hear the FBI's version before the camera footage was shown.

cbetts1, CAcop, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tvov

Tvov

Well, you can actually hear the FBI agent talking on the phone... his description of events, that we all just saw on body cam, is hilariously different....

wreckless, steveksux and CAcop like this.
  6. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

This made my brain hurt, reading into this it does not sound At ALL, like an official FBI investigation prior to that agent being called out.

newglocker10mm and cbetts1 like this.
  7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

This for sure .Terror watch list alerts come in various forms depending on how dangerous teh suspect is .

8. Dragoon44

So the F.B.I. Are so dumb they have to be notified after they are stopped that they have been stopped and are now detained?

Sounds like some agents I had to deal with.

ranger1968, steveksux and pgg00 like this.
  9. jpcullen70

jpcullen70

Dumb? You mean the deputy asking for a business card when the agent showed him his credentials? I mean, any chump can come up with a business card. That qualifies as official ID to you local types?

Spec62 likes this.
  10. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Qualifies as evidence if the guy proves to be a poser. Qualifies as reference for future to/from or report.

cbetts1, Ohio Cop and Dragoon44 like this.
  11. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

It’s a system to see who is running the plates.

Dragoon44 likes this.
  12. Dragoon44

ahhhhh... I always did my best to avoid having any interaction with the F.B.I. Whenever possible.

I was less than impressed with the ones I did have contact with.

Ohio Cop likes this.
  13. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

It was a system if someone ran the plate they would get a heads up. If the agent knew they were on the highway where that cop worked, no problem. But if the plate was run by a cop who had no business being close to that car, they knew he was running the plate for someone else. Potential trouble.

They aren’t the only ones that have a system to alert them if someone runs their car. Just like if someone on probation or parole has their prints taken, their probation/parole officer gets a hit notice. Not a big deal if they were going for a job but it is if its a rearrest.

Ohio Cop likes this.
  14. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Why did they not secure the agents gun as soon as he told the deputy he was armed and they had not yet confirmed identity ?? And what was the legal grounds for being detained and cuffed? The fbi agent called the deputy, not the other way around. Should the deputy not have told the agent he was being detained as a possible fake agent?

If the deputy took down the badge info and car tag and said please contact my supervisor to schedule an interview this would have gone better.

15. Keith E.

Keith E.

I don't think that it's SOP to "secure" the firearm of everyone that informs an officer that they're armed. I know for sure that it's not the case in North Carolina.

Keith

16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Keith , maybe I stated my question poorly.. Not saying it would be standard practice at all. I have had contact with officers and for courtesy I have always made them aware that I was legallh armed.. of course I was never the subject of a police business interview.. just talking to folks doing their job while I did mine..

I was curious in this one case as there was a question by the deputy about what was the fbi agent doing.. and if he was an actual agent or not. Pretending to be law enforcement is a serious crime and would be of interest . I dont have the experience to weigh in as to the badge and credentials being enough to be a credible agent especially with the car and radio also looking the part. But the agent was going in and out of his car several times after stating he was armed. It seemed to be something you would want to think about as law enforcement. I guess thats why I am asking the question. I dont think this situation comes up often.

17. Keith E.

Keith E.

I'm with you now, thanks for the breakdown. Here in my North Carolina, we're required to inform any and all LEO that we're carrying if we have a CCW and have to interact with them.

Enjoy Your Weekend,
    Keith

18. MFC4

MFC4 Si tacuisses, philosophus manisses

Last edited: May 29, 2020