Interesting take on a major factor in the ammo shortage

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by BBMW, Sep 22, 2020.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Well thx for proving my point. Cost makes the plane unavailable to YOU. You can defend your statement anyway you want but you know right from wrong on this. Its not about getting the last word its about being factual.

2. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

The last minus sign in line 3 should be a plus sign. You all need to recalculate everything.

motorcycleman, Wojo88 and PeterG like this.

3. OXMYX

OXMYX

Shortages are caused by hoarders.

I know a guy that has over 20,000 rounds factory ammo and he never ever shoots, not even a box of 50 a year.

Reloaders that shoot a lot, 20,000 is a high number but not out of the ordinary.

A few years back I did a run of 10,000 on my 1050. I'll never do that again but I'm sure some folks out there do this all the time.

4. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Nothing new here. Just an all time bad year. This is common on election years. There are other manufacturers besides those big four that produce in house primers. Military contract demand has been high this year too. Primers and case supply issues go all the way back at least 40 years. Next will be copper and lead. Federal’s syntech is ahead of the game for target rounds. They see the future on that one. Same with ARX. Ammo production also rotates seasonally. Lots of machines have been swapped to produce shotgun shells and rifle rounds for hunters. The next big pistol ammo run for civilian sales will happen around the holidays and on the new year the shelves will see some ammo again. Just be patient. The last few years had been good and we forgot this. But think back to 2012/2013 and 2015/2016. With your spare time learn to gunsmith and stock up on gunsmithing tools. Or grab a mantis and dry fire all day. That will make those few rounds you have count more. We can’t all be youtubers getting to blast sponsored ammo.

fredj338 likes this.
  5. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

I saw that Palmetto State Armory acquired or will aquire Remington ammo

billy_56081, pAZ Ron and PeterG like this.
  6. Pluto57

Pluto57

So who decides what is quick and easy?

fredj338 likes this.
  7. fredj338

fredj338

There are a few hoarders but that isnt depleating the supply. Most people wont park $6000 of something they wont use. Same can be said for primers for reloaders, but you can stash a lot of primers for $1000 which is not out of reach for working stiffs trying to be prepared.
    A buddy of mine is working a deal for 120-150k small pistol primers for our shooting group. I dont need any, but I'm in for at 10-20k.

8. Jim2527

Jim2527

If you knew your customers were flipping it on GB and AL would you circumvent that by selling it yourself?

Was waiting in line with about 10 people waiting for BassPro to open up. When the doors were unlocked all 10 scurried to back of the store and the ammo likes rats in a maze. IMHO most people are buying up ammo for 2 reasons, fear of missing out (FOMO) or they're trying to capitalize on the shortage. It'll be just like the TP shortage, once people realize they're not crapping any more often than they were shelves will begin to fill.

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

I hope it’s like the TP shortage. I thought that would last 2 weeks and it ended up being more like 6 weeks in my area (I realize some areas had longer shortages). I would be happy if ammo started showing up again before the end of the year. I’m not all that optimistic, though. The shortage that kicked off in 2012 was different than this time around, but it lasted much longer than we’ve gone through this year, yet. I seem to remember standing in lines waiting for stores to open all the way through the summer of 2013, at least. I was just getting into shooting around that time, so I didn’t have as much ammo (or any reloading equipment) like I have now.

10. fredj338

fredj338

It isnt like tp, this is diff. I really dont think its better until next summer. Trump winning might shorten that a bit, like march/april, but the way it was last jan, no.