GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
It's none of those. It's a brand I've never heard of, and I can't recall what it is.
Hmm, interested to know. I am pretty sure the 4 majore ammo makers here all make their own primers.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I have about 3k Ginex SPP remaining from a 20k purchase I made just after beginning to reload. They were just under $.02 per several years ago. The last place I remember seeing them for sale was Graf & Sons, but for some reason they have not been showing in my searches for some time. The quality was comparable to CCI, and no problems being hard to seat like S&B. The packaging isn't the best.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I disagree. Demand has spiked considerably and production probably dropped off due to covid. Even if production stayed the same, or even increased, there’s a shortage if it’s not meeting new demand.

The presence of those auctions (especially with their inflated pricing) is actually proof of the shortage.

I respect your viewpoint and understand your take on it. I believe there's a fair chance that we are talking about two different things here . Supply numbers keeping up ( which I admit are not ) with demand vs. only what is still available.

I do not dispute that demand has increased nor that production has decreased. What I only meant was that there are still vast amounts of ammo still available for purchase from a number of sites and again, where there used to be 25-30 pages of 9mm ammo auctions over just @ GB pre Covid19 there are currently 139 pages which is a fair increase in what is available in just one day. A lot of retailers moved / are moving their stock to auction sites when this all hit. If they hadn't there would still be places where it would be " in stock ". And too, more private individuals are selling stashes as well. I also would not be surprised to learn that huge stock piles exist that some sellers are sitting on speculating that as things get even nuttier they'll be able to command even more than the current crazy price and are now starting to release some of it.

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
I respect your viewpoint and understand your take on it. I believe there's a fair chance that we are talking about two different things here . Supply numbers keeping up ( which I admit are not ) with demand vs. only what is still available.

I do not dispute that demand has increased nor that production has decreased. What I only meant was that there are still vast amounts of ammo still available for purchase from a number of sites and again, where there used to be 25-30 pages of 9mm ammo auctions over just @ GB pre Covid19 there are currently 139 pages which is a fair increase in what is available in just one day. A lot of retailers moved / are moving their stock to auction sites when this all hit. If they hadn't there would still be places where it would be " in stock ". And too, more private individuals are selling stashes as well. I also would not be surprised to learn that huge stock piles exist that some sellers are sitting on speculating that as things get even nuttier they'll be able to command even more than the current crazy price.
There are a lot of opportunists out there. So selling ammo on gb is not really readly available ammo. When most lgs have no ammo, when major online sources have no ammo, I would certainly call that a shortage.
I know guys sitting on 120k small pistol primers. They are selling on GB for $100/1k. They are considering selling 20-30k since they paid about $20/1k. You cant find them anywhere else. Available, if you consider at 3-4x the price, sort of available. In worst of times everuthing is available if you have enough $$$.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

I do not dispute that demand has increased nor that production has decreased. What I only meant was that there are still vast amounts of ammo still available for purchase from a number of sites and again, where there used to be 25-30 pages of 9mm ammo auctions over just @ GB pre Covid19 there are currently 139 pages which is a fair increase in what is available in just one day. A lot of retailers moved / are moving their stock to auction sites when this all hit. If they hadn't there would still be places where it would be " in stock ". And too, more private individuals are selling stashes as well. I also would not be surprised to learn that huge stock piles exist that some sellers are sitting on speculating that as things get even nuttier they'll be able to command even more than the current crazy price.
The thing that jumps out at me as potentially making your point is the idea that retailers would show out of stock when in reality they have ammo but are selling it at auction. However, this, to me, again, just means that their stock is very low and they’re trying to maximize what they can get for those few remaining boxes.

139 pages of auctions doesn’t impress me. There are literally millions of people looking for ammo. Heck, there may be millions of people looking who hadn’t touched a gun before April of this year.

Again, I would expect the auctions to increase when shortages occur. Who’s going to buy at auction when the shelves are stocked with cheap ammo? Yes, there are trillions of rounds of ammo in the hands of Americans, but are you willing to give yours up in this climate? Or would you feel better if you could pad your stash? In general, the only people wanting to get rid of ammo are those with terminal illnesses. Of course everyone has their price, these insane prices are motivating some people to let some go.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are a lot of opportunists out there. So selling ammo on gb is not really readly available ammo. When most lgs have no ammo, when major online sources have no ammo, I would certainly call that a shortage.
I know guys sitting on 120k small pistol primers. They are selling on GB for $100/1k. They are considering selling 20-30k since they paid about $20/1k. You cant find them anywhere else. Available, if you consider at 3-4x the price, sort of available. In worst of times everuthing is available if you have enough $$$.

Those poor souls in dire need may not like the prices but it is still readily ( according to Webster's ) available even as zany as they are. The jury is out on how long it will be readily / easily available even at sky high price.

Good debate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Schrag4, I see you are in Wichita. Past years saw a car load of us from here going down a few times and attending the big gun show ( Chisum Trail ? ) @ the KS Coliseum there north of town. Is it still going ?

One year on the same day they had it there and one in town at the auditorium . We hit both shows.

Regards.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Several million are on their way from Europe? That’s nothing, and I’m not even joking. The guy who runs a small hobby store here in Wichita said he moved 5 million in a week or two, and half that in bullets during the same period. I don’t think several million would keep Federal, for example, making ammo for more than a day or two (speculation on my part).

There are thousands of reloaders who would buy 10k primers right now if the price was right. Many others (lots of new gun owners) would buy all the factory ammo they could afford if the price was right. Several million is but a drop in the bucket.
Agreed. Im betting I know the guy you speak of and he moves a lot of components out of a small area.

How many shops like that are nation wide and how many are buying more than they need to have on hand or to sell.

I know I overbought several years ago myself.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Schrag4, I see you are in Wichita. Past years saw a car load of us from here going down a few times and attending the big gun show ( Chisum Trail ? ) @ the KS Coliseum there north of town. Is it still going ?

One year on the same day they had it there and one in town at the auditorium . We hit both shows.

Regards.
I saw that wichita has 2 shows coming up. 1 in September and 1 in October

·
Registered
4,705 Posts

I do not dispute that demand has increased nor that production has decreased. What I only meant was that there are still vast amounts of ammo still available for purchase from a number of sites and again, where there used to be 25-30 pages of 9mm ammo auctions over just @ GB pre Covid19 there are currently 139 pages which is a fair increase in what is available in just one day. A lot of retailers moved / are moving their stock to auction sites when this all hit. If they hadn't there would still be places where it would be " in stock ". And too, more private individuals are selling stashes as well. I also would not be surprised to learn that huge stock piles exist that some sellers are sitting on speculating that as things get even nuttier they'll be able to command even more than the current crazy price and are now starting to release some of it.
I guess it all depends on what you consider "vast amounts". If every major online ammo retailer is showing zero stock, there is a shortage. Those small dealers who moved their stock to GB sales represent a drop in the proverbial bucket as far as supply is concerned.

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
Those poor souls in dire need may not like the prices but it is still readily ( according to Webster's ) available even as zany as they are. The jury is out on how long it will be readily / easily available even at sky high price.

Good debate.
Your definition of readily is diff than mine or ole Webster. Affordable & available = readily.

·
Registered
34,794 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your definition of readily is diff than mine or ole Webster. Affordable & available = readily.
I guess you'll have to take it up with them and educate them on how wrong they have been on it's definition all these years. Last time, no it's not cheap but it is easily, readily found yet. No mention from Webster on " affordable " but then what did he know ?

From their site :

Noah Webster

Readily
READILY, adverb red'ily. [See Ready.]

1. Quickly; promptly; easily

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
I guess you'll have to take it up with them and educate them on how wrong they have been on it's definition all these years. Last time, no it's not cheap but it is easily, readily found yet.

From their site :

Noah Webster

Readily
READILY, adverb red'ily. [See Ready.]

1. Quickly; promptly; easily
Well we could go around & around on this but cost is a factor & Webster ignores that, shame on them. Cost is a direct factor in the availability of anything.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The one thing this thread is missing, Remington went bust.

No ammo, components coming out of Big Green and who knows when if ever they’ll be making new product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well we could go around & around on this but cost is a factor & Webster ignores that, shame on them. Cost is a direct factor in the availability of anything.

Fred, just listen and read this before being worried about always having to have the last word on everything. I'm sure for the right $ a new private plane from someone would be available . No, I cannot afford it but that makes it no less available. They are two totally different things. I'm done on this one.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

Regards.
I believe they've moved the Chisolm Trail gun show across the highway to the new Hartman Arena. The KS Coliseum isn't really the coliseum anymore. They decided to build Intrust Arena downtown (to replace the KS Coliseium), and there you have to walk through a not-so-great part of town completely unarmed if you're going to the Arena. Metal detectors at the door, you can't even have a pocket knife on you. A guy I talked to at a local IDPA match said they gave him crap for having a fish hook in his hat, said it was considered a weapon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I believe they've moved the Chisolm Trail gun show across the highway to the new Hartman Arena. The KS Coliseum isn't really the coliseum anymore. They decided to build Intrust Arena downtown (to replace the KS Coliseium), and there you have to walk through a not-so-great part of town completely unarmed if you're going to the Arena. Metal detectors at the door, you can't even have a pocket knife on you. A guy I talked to at a local IDPA match said they gave him crap for having a fish hook in his hat, said it was considered a weapon.
Too bad about the one downtown. For our reasonable driving distance options it is a great show. One 400 table show is Nebraska's largest.

Thanks for the info & stay healthy. Now, I am out for good on this . I promise. :)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts