close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting Situation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by STI, Jan 18, 2010.

1. STI

STI

At a local gunshow I was looking at somethings on a table and for some reason wondered what time it was, I carry my uncle's antiqie pocketwatch instead of a wristwatch. The lady and man at the table started whispering to each other and she asked me what I just put in my pocket in an acusing manner, I ask her if she was suggesting that I had taken something? She said that she would like to see in my pocket. I asked if I was being acused of something I would gladly comply with a law police officer present and would give her my ID but I also wanted to see her ID and get the info from her also. I was very calm but firm and said I would gladly wait with no problems for the officer if that it what they wanted. She did not know what to do. The lady and husband backed down and finally said that they thought I had put something in my pocket from their table, I am still waiting I said, what do you want me to do? I will gladly give you my info but in return I want yours, they wanted to know why, I told them it was for my lawyer. There was a silence. After all said & done they said no. I then emptied my pockets, showing a fully loaded Glock 32, 2 mags, and my ID. They had a very funny look and said they were sorry.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

In my state, carring anything loaded into a show is illegal. Odd that it isn't there, too.

3. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Why not just save everyone involved a whole bunch of time, say "Yeah, I just stuck my grandpa's antique pocketwatch back in my pocket," and then go about your business?

4. STI

STI

Loaded weapons are exempt for Local & Federal L/E.

I agree on showing the watch and I started to, but the way it was put to me by the lady changed that, the acusing manner did not go over with me well.

5. BEER

BEER bad example

right there would have been the perfect time to simply explain and show her the pocket watch to prove your innocence and relieve her justified suspicion. that's all it would have taken to get everybody back to their business with no harm or hooplah. but good on you for taking a moral stand and winning such a grandiose victory. :upeyes:

6. 9lock

9lock Guest

Yea! what he said, Why didn't you just tell them everything they wanted to know like the cops "expect" you to do, they obviously thought you were guilty until proven innocent.

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Sounds like a mild dispute that never had to happen. I would recommend relaxation training for the OP especially since he appears to be some type of LEO.

8. sjf

sjf

Sure -- bet you show receipts to Walmart door monitors, too...:tongueout:

9. STI

STI

All I can say is you were not there.
    Yes I could have done that but with the attitude of the lady I chose not to. I was very calm & quiet through the entire situation.

10. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

STI,

Can I ask you an honest question? Not about the incident with the vendors but about carrying in a gun show.

Do you think it is OK/fair/justified/whatever that there is this exemption for LE?

Greg

11. olddep041

olddep041

STI - I am with you. Sometimes you just need make a statement. Some people are asshats and need that pointed out to them.
    And no - I am not taking STI's side just because he is a LEO.

ETA: a LEO can carry just about any place. A gun show is just another place.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  12. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

From my understanding, and all LEO's please feel free to correct me, most departments require off duty officers to carry. regardless of where they are.

13. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I realize that...I am just trying to make a point that just because one is a LEO, doesn't necessarily make them a safer person than anyone else.

Greg

14. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Because what the OP did is the gun show equivalent of jacking with a Door Nazi at Wally World.

15. paul45

paul45

I believe we have an alleged LEO that doesn't like being wrongly accused.

Perhaps you can remember this experience in the future........:whistling:

16. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am with the OP on this one. If the lady came off with the wrong attitude then right back at ya. This to me is a different situation when you are accused of doing something dishonest and your morals/integrity are questioned. Its a different story then getting mad at your waiter because he took too long to bring your ice tea. And yes I have my receipt in hand waving like a flag when I walk out the door at Wallys. Everyone gets to go about their day.

17. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I'm curious, do you have an axe to grind? Why would you suggest that a LEO at a gun show is unsafe?

18. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Sounds like YOUR axe is the one on the grindstone. You are twisting what the person you quoted said. To assume that just because someone is a LEO they are intrinsically safer is plain offensive to the millions of Americans who are not LEOs and who handle their firearms safely every day.

It's a badge. Not a magic talisman.....

19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

LEO gets to do lots of things we mortals don't get to do...but they are held to a higher standard than us to...

20. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I have no dog in this fight. I just asked the question why the OP is questioning this guy's safety or lack there of. No suggestion of the millions of other gun owners, that was YOUR jump to conclusion.