Glock Talk banner

Interesting recruitment call back home (UK)

609 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  fastbolt
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· "Old Bill"
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Florist
23,378 Posts
Seriously?

It'll probably be quicker to get a nearby active military unit to the site than to call up retired cops and get them equipped and to the site. Plus, active military units have greater staying power.

· "Old Bill"
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously?

It'll probably be quicker to get a nearby active military unit to the site than to call up retired cops and get them equipped and to the site. Plus, active military units have greater staying power.
Yes to this. The reality of the suggestion is that in practice it just wouldn't work. I can't see old 50 plus retired police officers coming out of retirement to tackle armed terrorists. Of course I was joking that at 72 I would answer the call!

Reactions: Patchman

· Florist
23,378 Posts
I think there are plenty of older retired cops with hearts in the right place and would want to help in any way. But the reality of aging catches up!

Reactions: fastbolt

· Registered
39,741 Posts
Yeah, inevitable age hits some faster and harder than others.

I know some guys who are struggling to maintain a semblance of physical fitness in their 40's and 50's, but others (retired) who are still fit enough for many LE activities in their 60's & 70's.

I know one retired gentleman (former detective, firearms trainer & armorer) who isn't spry enough for foot chases or one-on-one anymore, but who is more than fit enough for firearms activities, and he's in his early 80's.

Being in my early 60's, I'm already serving in a reserve capacity for some activities that benefit my agency. I've certainly known some reserves older than me, too. Maybe the British police could learn something from how America still relies upon its retired cops in a reserve capacity in some instances, although I've no doubt the practice (and policies) vary quite a bit geographically.

Shooting is a perishable skill, though. Considering the British apparently don't like their citizens (including retired cops) to actively engage in firearms training & practice activities, I could see there being some necessary training needed to try and rekindle those skills.

It would be a much easier task in this country, I'd imagine, as a lot of American cops still enjoy engaging in firearm shooting hobbies (and even competition) after their retirement. Also, having to come back periodically to demonstrate proficiency for renewing retirement ID cards (for continued CCW authorization), as well as annual qualification for LEOSA, can help keep current some adequate level of skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts