close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting Range Trip - question about trigger

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Chris Brines, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

So I have a fairly new Gen 3 Glock 23, and just took it to the range literally minutes ago. I had 2 things happen that I'd call "interesting" to say the least. One of them is no big deal, the other, well maybe a little bigger.

The first, a spent casing ejected from the gun, bounced off of the wall of the lane at the range, and then bounced towards my face, lodging itself between my safety glasses, and the side of my head. Burnt the crap out of me. Just thought I'd share that so someone out there in Glock Land can get a good laugh

The 2nd, I'm not so sure about. I noticed this has happened more than once with this particular gun, and I now am pretty curious about the Glock trigger resetting as I've read about in the manual. Maybe someone here can give me a more detailed explanation.

Well I'd say I was firing one round every 2 seconds. I was firing round 5 of a 13 round magazine. I fired round 5, which was a deliberate shot, and literally after firing that one, I'm not sure how, I know it was not an accidental discharge because my finger definitely pulled the trigger, but this round (round 6) fired with much less force being applied to the trigger. Like literally my finger just brushing against the trigger made it discharge.

No big deal because I always point the gun downrange, for that specific reason, but my main concern is the fact that a bullet came flying out of my gun without me meaning for that to happen. I don't even think this round hit the target. It went somewhere downrange, that's all I know.

I am not sure if this is because I did not take my finger all the way off of the trigger after the 5th round, allowing it to fully reset (trigger safety re engaged), or what but it definitely caught me by surprise.

Has anyone else had this happen? I take it pretty seriously if my gun, which I only feel safe shooting because it is under MY control and my control only, seems to react to such slight pressure enough to discharge another round without my meaning for it to do so.

Hope I explained this clearly enough, cause I'd sure like an explanation of what just happened.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

If you hold the trigger to the rear after a shot is fired, once the slide has returned forward and fed another round, you can let the trigger out until you feel a click in the trigger, then pull the trigger again to fire another shot.

I shot a S&W 39-2 once and I was doing unintentional double taps because I was holding my trigger finger in just the right place.

3. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I've gotten a case stuck in my glasses more than once. I learned to wear a baseball cap at the indoor range.

4. barth

barth six barrels

I've had an unintentinal double tap with my G27 and Ghost Rocket 3.5.
    Figured it was the short reset of the after market connector.
    I've taken care to fully release the trigger between shots,
    unless a double/triple tap is in order.
    Still totally love the Gen 3 Glock G27 with factory springs and a Ghost Rocket.

There's such a wide variety of shooters on GT.
    With skill levels from nothing to expert.
    Talking trigger/reset is always a hot topic.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. oldman11

oldman11

As to a round getting stuck between glasses and face; you need to get safety glasses that have a wrap around feature. If you can't find these at gun shops, then try places that have safety glasses for industrial usage.

6. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

Thanks, yeah the double tap definitely caught me by surprise. I guess next time I shoot I'll pay special attention to being sure I let the trigger safety fully engage between each shot. And the bullet casing lodging in my safety glasses, yeah definitely something I need to make sure never happens again. Cause for a second there it was very hard to concentrate on the fact that I had a loaded, hot pistol in my hand, and my only concern was getting that hot shell casing off of my skin. But, this is why I shoot at least 100 rounds a week (100 rds per range trip usually). So that I can find out things like this in a controlled environment, and address them accordingly.

I'll be shopping for some better safety classes and will probably wear a hat for extra protection also.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Happened to me just this weekend too a few times. I had "upgraded" my trigger and striker with new springs (because I wanted to try it) and a Ghost Ranger 4.5# connecter. My trigger was light and smooth.

Noticed I said WAS, I changed it back last night. Ended up too light for shooting a 23 for me if I was getting unintentional double taps.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You actually should try and *learn* where the reset is, and practice shooting from there.

Fire a shot, and hold the trigger to the rear until the gun has stabilized from recoil. SLOWLY let the trigger go forward. It won't have to go too far and you will "feel" (maybe hear) a slight click. This is the point where the trigger has reset, and the gun can be shot again. Pulling the trigger rearward from this point will cause the gun to fire.

I'd say the majority of competition shooters use this technique. Instead of letting the trigger go all the way forward and then having to take out all the pre-travel out of that LOOONNNGGG Glock trigger pull... you can get faster rounds downrange.

And for me, for some reason... the follow up trigger pulls seem to "break" slightly easier than that first one. It might be just all mental, but sure seems that way.

9. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

Yeah, Glocks are more or less the only semi autos I am accustomed to shooting. I've shot others, but only here and there. I own 2 Glocks and don't know enough about anything except factory Glock fire control groups and triggers, to really compare to anything else.

I have never been formally trained in firearms aside from one day when I was much younger, my grandfather basically gave me a crash course in shooting, when visiting him in Tennessee. Pretty much the rest of my shooting experience has been me, by myself, at the range, with my Glock 23 or 26, and pretty much all in the last 6 months.

I'll definitely try to concentrate on familiarizing myself with the trigger resetting after the slide has moved completely forward, that is not something I have ever done, nor has anyone ever suggested. The double tap has happened a few times, with both Glocks, but the one today, I guess for some reason, got me thinking. I just like to know what causes everything, and how to control it. Not that a double tap is necessarily a bad thing, but I want each shot to be intentional. My wife is already scared of guns, but I'm trying to persuade her to at least learn to shoot them, since she may need them for her own defense one day (although I sometimes wonder if she'd even be able to bring herself to pull a trigger in self defense). But I guess I need to learn a few more things myself first. She'd have freaked out of that happened while she was shooting, so now I need to address a few issues before suggesting she learn to shoot the Glocks anymore. One shell casing flew into her shirt the last time (and only time), I got her to the range. Yeah, it landed in just the right spot too lol.

10. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

By saying the G23 is "fairly new" there is a chance that some work was done to the trigger/connector. If so, there is a chance that the system is not functioning properly. If the pistol is stock, then the above suggestions hold. If the pistol has been modified, it might need to be changed back to a stock condition for safety's sake.

11. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Like literally my finger just brushing against the trigger made it discharge.

Yep, can happen, I've got a G17 that has a 1 1/2lb trigger pull. I was getting double taps at a match, took it to a unused bay and it was me not getting off the trigger soon enough. When I did the problem stopped.

My splits were really good though.;)

12. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

Nahh, it's only 4 months old. I'd say it's had about 1000 rounds shot through it. But it is straight from the factory. Haven't modified anything.