Interesting new lead towards a remedy to tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MikeG22, Nov 19, 2019.

1. HarlDane

HarlDane

2. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

^^^^^This is true in my case as well^^^^^Concussion in 1981 started mine.

3. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

Now, thanks to our overbearing bureaucracy, he will need to spend several million dollars and a few years on testing.

There is a potential cure for Alzheimers that uses ultrasound waves to lower the brain blood barrier to let blood in to clean the brain tissue. Instead of going to an Alzheimers care facility and testing it, it will take millions of dollars, numerous clinical trials, and a very long time to get it approved. Meanwhile, people are dying.

I have tinnitus but I always associate it with coming it out of an AC\DC concert, so it doesn't bother me.

durwood and R_P_K_ like this.
  4. tuica

tuica

Most people in industrialized societies have some form of this. Mine is from gunfire (with good hearing protection), loud amplified music, and life.

Some, like me, more susceptible than others. Thin face - and sound comes in through facial bones as well as from ear canal. Don’t notice it - unless I notice it. Quiet locales especially. Out on “the street” don’t hear it.

Actually interesting how it is caused, and if I were young, would find it an interesting occupational field.

P99er likes this.
  5. BUG'S

BUG'S

Prior military service. I know what caused mine. I just learned to live with it.

tuica and P99er like this.
  6. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Asking for a friend. Anyone ever developed tinnitus as a result of your wife/ girlfriend yipping in your ear constantly for the twent five years.

7. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I have tinnitus. It sucks. Had it since I was a teenager and I don’t have very much hearing loss at all for my age.

If this works I’d be game. I have heard a quiet room in years.

tuica and sixgun2 like this.
  8. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

People tend to forget about chainsaws. They can literally make your ears hurt.

tuica and sixgun2 like this.
  9. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Well, just don't grit your teeth.

10. drumgod

drumgod

I started using plugs 30 years ago and IEMs shortly after that. I still ended up with a bit of ring but usually only notice it in very quiet environments. It's not nearly bad enough for me to seek treatment.
    I'm more interested in this and have read a couple of articles. My step-mother is currently in a care facility that cost 5k/mo. My step-sister is taking the brunt of it. She took her out for a birthday dinner and in the middle of it my she stood up and started yelling for help because she had been abducted. Fortunately several of the staff had chatted with them earlier so they knew my sis wasn't a serial dinner abductor. It's easy to chuckle about it now but when you're dealing with it at the time it can be frustrating and painful. An effective treatment for Alzheimer's would change a lot of lives.

tuica and flyover like this.
  11. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

What? Did you say something?

12. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Lord, let this be a helpful fix for tinnitus! Amen!

misterfox, tuica and BigBull 301 like this.
  13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I had tinnitus until I lost 80% hearing in one ear and 60% in the other. Not sure which is worse hearing the ringing all the time or hearing nothing.

tuica likes this.
  14. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

Interesting. I've had two concussions (one at a very young age) as well as a subdural hematoma, and have never drawn the conclusion between them and the ringing. At this point it almost seems as if I have had it all of my life. It's a constant, but sometimes it's much more pronounced than at other times.

tuica and WeeWilly like this.
  15. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Yep, had it for many years. Had a concussion or two, played drums for years, guns and loud cars.

tuica likes this.
  16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Mine definitely was a no ringing before and ringing after I woke up and from then on. I thought the ringing would go away in time but it never did. I don’t know if my BP levels are the trigger for the level ringing, but their is a definite correlation, louder is always higher, more background lower.

I kind of ignore it in general, like so many of life’s indignities as I have aged.

tuica likes this.
  17. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mine have been ringing since 1993. Guns indoors without hearing protection will do it. Such is the life.

Honestly, it's like an old friend at this point. I'd go for something to remedy it, but it's been so long I wouldn't do anything intrusive to treat it unless it got substantially worse.

Yep, I can tell when my BP is up and gritting my teeth makes it higher pitched and louder.

tuica likes this.
  18. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

Lucky for me, mine does not become noticeable until it is brought to my attention, like reading this thread. Guitar playing is likely the culprit, along with the cherry bomb in the box car incident.

tuica, BengalBacker and WeeWilly like this.
  19. flyover

flyover

I have the ringing also. I spent many years driving noisy farm tractors, standing behind a drilling rig and doing a lot of shooting in my younger days. Nobody ever mentioned hearing protection back then.

tuica and R_P_K_ like this.
  20. napp32

napp32

Same here. I have had it so long that I rarely am aware of it. Thanks to this thread I'm hearing it loud and clear now.

tuica, BengalBacker and flyover like this.