Interesting G23 Problem. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Micahb24, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Micahb24

Micahb24

I can't shoot 50 rounds without one getting caught on the edge of the barrels ramp. It basically jams. I clean my Glock after every use, follow the maintenance outlined in the manual and, it’s not limp wrist. The round will have a clear indent from the ramp and will un-jam with a tug on the slide.

It was purchased new and the problem started after 700/800 rounds of trouble free shooting.

Any suggestions? (see pic's)

Thanks in advance.

**Updated thread answers below**

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Micahb24

Micahb24

Bump to the top

3. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Polish the ramp and breechface(no dremel) and check which followers you have in your mags. Also, giving the mag a whack against the heel of your hand to seat the rounds all the way to the rear is never a bad idea.

4. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Exactly my thoughts on polishing the feedramp and try different mags

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

I wouldn't polish anything, it might create more malfunctions.

Have you ever disassembled the gun past field strip? Are you using any aftermarket parts? What ammo are you using? What number is on the follower of each of your magazines?(it should be on top of the follower)

6. TNXB21

TNXB21

I have been having some of the same malfunctions and I feel your pain.
    Below is a copy of my previous post.

Good luck on finding your problem.

G23 malfunctions
    Butch,

Without giving to much detail, using Remington UMC 180 grain, out of every 100 rounds at least 3 failure to eject (FTE) and one or two FTF. 900 total rounds fired.

Out of 207 rounds Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 Zero (0) malfunctions.

Glock Armorer fired 39 rounds various ammo no malfunctions. Then 50 rounds with Blazer 180 grains and had several FTE and 10 FT Feed. He was shocked and not to happy.

Changing the ejector did not improve anything and since two armorers could not figure it out they recommended sending it to Glock. Spoke to a Glock tech and he said send it in.

I bought this gun new (Christmas 2008 and shot it only a few times in 2009 -- 365 rounds) based on all the good things I heard about Glock reliability . I am not to happy. I love the gun and I am coming out of a SIG 239 but I have to tell you I have never had a malfunction in the SIG except for Failure to fire while shooting old ammo that had corrosion on the primers.

For CWC I am fairly confident since I am using PDX1 but still .....

I hope I don't get it back from Glock with a note saying "could not duplicate" :crying:

7. voyager4520

voyager4520

Lube the pistol according to the manual and shoot some American Eagle out of it. If you encounter malfunctions it's almost definitely not the ammo. Glocks don't like weak loads.

Blazer Brass should've cycled the gun just fine, but the fact that PDX1 cycled 100% suggests it has something to do with how hot your ammo is loaded.

8. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

What ammo are you using. :dunno:

9. Feanor

Feanor

Agreed, the pistol is under warranty, don't modify a thing, change ammo and make sure you're using the proper magazine(s) or that they are not damaged.
    If it continues, contact Glock and they will fix it if it's a defect.

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

It's the mags'.Do your mags have a number by the G on the back ? If so, what is the number ?

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It never is.:upeyes: However, if it was limpwrist it would cause this exact type of malfunction because the slide would not be fully cycling and the short slide stroke causes it to close on the next round before it gets pushed up into position, slamming it into the edge of the ramp nose first. Since it isn't limpwristing, I have no idea what your problem is.:upeyes:

12. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

most likely culpret with your problem is magazine related. Try other mags.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Can you duplicate the problem with different magazines?

I wouldn't polish anything, they're made to shoot 100% right out of the box. Your 23 should eat up and spit out any factory ammo you feed it.

I'm thinking weak magazine springs. But you say you've had a GCA look at it, hmmmmm. Keep us posted as to what the problem is.

Go buy yourself a fresh magazine and let us know how that goes. You can never have too many mags.

14. E-Money

E-Money

I noticed you have a light mounted to your G23. Does it do this when the light is not on the gun?

I get similar results on my G23 when my TLR-1 is on board, but the round is usually pointing in more of an upward angle. I have not tried an 11 coil mag spring(s) yet to see if it corrects the problem.

15. demented

demented

I'd replace mag springs before I tried anything else. Also seen recoil springs cause similar issues, throws off feed timing just enough to make a mess. Springs are cheap enough to allow a bit of trial and error without breaking the bank.

16. PBRLite

PBRLite

I'd call em and ask for a new mag spring, and a new recoil guide rod/spring assembly.

Oops

17. Run&Shoot

Run&Shoot

Agree that most likely cause are mags, at least for FTF. I have seen two new Glocks sold to friends "brand new" that had old, old mags. Like the pre-2002 mags with stepped shoulders and both sides, weakass springs, and ancient followers. Obviously the shop owner or employee had snagged the new ones for themselves and replaced them with the oldest ones they could find to get rid of them.

Make sure you have the newest mags. If there is a notch in the front with metal liner visible you are good to go. If not, then look from the rear. the left shoulder should have a step to it, and the right side should be a slope. The most recent follower is at least a number 6 (marked on the tiny step in the front of the follower left side).

If both shoulders are stepped then it is an old mag. If the follower is not a 6 and either a 3 or nothing then it is ancient and the spring is likely old as well. You can take the spring out and compare to one from a new 4th gen mag (notched front) and see if it has the same length. Weak ones will be an inch or more shorter.

The failure to eject could be from lack of proper cleaning and lube or limp wristing.

18. vmann

vmann Controller

its the light on your rail....remove the light and go shoot and see what happens

19. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

I notice you are using Winchester clean. It's a very weak round I never had a jam till I used it in my G23. I have never had a jam after I stopes using it.

20. burthouse

burthouse

as a few have said remove the light, before you do anything DO THIS! Remove the light and see if it happens. I'd venture to say removing the light will fix the problem right away. If that doesn't fix it then mag springs then followers.