Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is half for fun finding out what people think, half serious.

We are in the market for a new passenger car. I have the opportunity to buy, for pretty much the same price, one of these two.

2010 Impala. Base model, cloth interior. 50,000 miles, non smoker, garaged. Outside looks showroom new.

2005 Cadilac DeVille. Snowbird car, not driven in the winter, 43,000 miles. Not too heavily tricked out, (no heated seats etc). Couple of parking lot dings and the chrome on the grill is flaking in a couple of spots.

So, for a family car, which of these two would you rather have?

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Engines? Which one do you like better? How does mpg compare?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Impala will be a new looking vehicle. Great gas mileage.

Caddy will be a little dated looking, lots of room, bad mileage. Very powerful. Both the Northstar engine and the 4.9 V-8 are really strong.

Your choice.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Personally I'd go with the Cadi but it's your money and your decision.

Any used car these days with all of the computers and electronics will be complicated and expensive to repair when they break down and all vehicles will breakdown sooner or later.

If you're not in hill country, both the Chevy and the Cadi will give you great mileage.

·
Señor Member
4,842 Posts
Take the Impala, leave the Caddy.

·
158 Posts
I bought a 2005 Deville for my oldest to drive. It gets good mileage and nice ride. Lots of room too for when he has to haul the siblings around for us.
Had it a yr and no repairs to date. Has 112k miles.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
808 Posts
A 4-year old car with 50k miles likely has a greater mix of highway miles on it. The 9-year old car with 43k miles is likely all city, stop and go, engine running but going nowhere miles. Not unheard of, but the car likely has a higher percentage of city miles (aka, more hours on the engine and fatigue on the mechanical parts).

In the end, it is probably a similar deal. The advantage on the older car is more of the depreciation has already been seen. Therefore, if you plan to sell the car in let's say 2 year, you will likely get a larger salvage value.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
A 4-year old car with 50k miles likely has a greater mix of highway miles on it. The 9-year old car with 43k miles is likely all city, stop and go, engine running but going nowhere miles. Not unheard of, but the car likely has a higher percentage of city miles (aka, more hours on the engine and fatigue on the mechanical parts).

In the end, it is probably a similar deal. The advantage on the older car is more of the depreciation has already been seen. Therefore, if you plan to sell the car in let's say 2 year, you will likely get a larger salvage value.
Good point. Seals etc. also 5 years older so leaks more likely.

·
Pinky Out
61,166 Posts
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnaXA6goZC0&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]lil troy wanna be a baller - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My preference is the Cadillac for comfort and safety. My wife wants the Impala because it is smaller, more her size. The most important thing to me is how long they will hold up and that is something I can't predict, will the newer car hold up due to being newer engineering or will the older but high dollar Cadillac engineering let it outlive the newer car? `Tiss a puzzle.

Hadn't thought of the effect on seals of being left sit all winter for a couple of years. Have to think about that.

Thanks all for opinions and thoughts.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Of those, I would take the Impala.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Also , the Impala will almost definately outlive the Caddy. GM was not known for longentivity back then.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
My preference is the Cadillac for comfort and safety. My wife wants the Impala because it is smaller, more her size. The most important thing to me is how long they will hold up and that is something I can't predict, will the newer car hold up due to being newer engineering or will the older but high dollar Cadillac engineering let it outlive the newer car? `Tiss a puzzle.

Hadn't thought of the effect on seals of being left sit all winter for a couple of years. Have to think about that.

Thanks all for opinions and thoughts.
Cadillac's engineering is not very high dollar from what I have seen. I would expect the newer car to be safer because it had to meet stricter standards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts