Glock Talk banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
I like the looks of the Remington R1 and the R1 enhanced. I also like the pricing on the Phillipino guns. Thoughts?

I just bought my first 1911 about 7 months back... Got a STI Spartan and LOVE every bit of it. $600 WELL spent.

Under $1,000 the best out of the box 1911 I've ever owned is my SIG 1911 Nitron. Most accurate, Perfectly reliable, great trigger and features from the factory including night sights. Not much I really want to do to it except switch the Novak rear for a Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pro and that's just because...nothing wrong with the Novak

Kimber's don't typically price under $1k but the one's I've owned were all pretty good. I own a SIS pro right now that's had a teeny bit of custom work and its a good shooter.
For some people Kimber has been hit or miss.

I've owned a SA gun for over 20 years that's been worked over by Ted Yost, Novak, and Marc Morganti at various times. Plus its been refinished by Walt Birdsong. Its going off to 10 Ring Precision in the next few days for a new KART barrel and bushing. Great gun--tons of rounds. But when you add up all the work that's been done over the years on the basic GI model it would probably have been cheaper to just buy a Wilson Combat. But of course I spread those gunsmithing costs over more than a decade and now that I'm replacing the barrel into the second decade.

I had never owned a 1911 until a few years back, and I followed someone's advice to start with a very basic, economical pistol. I bought a Rock Island Armory (RIA) to learn how 1911s shoot and to get my arms around the mechanics of this great platform.

Compared to Glocks, 1911s are more complicated mechanically. New users learn that immediately, and preventing the 'idiot scratch' during reassembly is one of the introductory lessons. I didn't worry too much about tearing into my RIA because my investment was less than $500. And, there is a good secondary market for these basic pistols. I decided to keep my RIA even though I've also bought a Sig, a Colt and a Les Baer.

I predict you'll really like the way 1911s shoot, and the rich history made me want to own at least one, forever. The advice offered in prior posts about which one to start with will lead you to a good choice. Just understand that a starter 1911 can be bought for well under $1,000.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.