close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interest in a Gainesville, FL practice match?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Dec 4, 2002.

1. njl

njl

I realize I've waited til about the last minute, but people on the GTRI mailing list have reminded me it's time to start thinking about when we'll do the GSSF practice match again.

I did this last year. Please have a look at last year's thread for range information (esp. guest pass rates for non-members of GTRI)
    http://glocktalk.gunserver.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35787&highlight=gtri

Though pretty much none of you showed up last year, a bunch of GTRI members did. Several of them are actually planning to compete for the first time in JAX this year, so they want another practice match.

Anyone here interested? The range hasn't changed much since last year except that we have a few more reactive targets. Still no poppers unless someone's hiding them from me, but we do have some free-standing portable steel plates that should work reasonably well as popper replacements. They won't fall down, but should be audible when hit.

Again, it would likely be a saturday, sometime in the next few weeks. It's almost definitely going to happen whether Glocktalkers are interested or not (in fact whether I set it up or not...since enough other GTRI members want it). I'd just like to know how many of you might be interested so I'd know what sort of crowd to expect, and we'll have to arrange for guest passes.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I'm interested. :) Practice is practice! :)

3. wanta68gt

wanta68gt Savage Nation

NJL,
    I'm interested as well. I just got a new 19, and it being my first glock, I really need the practice. I went to Harry Beckwith's (sp?) indoor range today and did pretty poorly, hopefully by the time you put on the practice match I'll be up to par. Keep me posted, or I'll just keep checking this thread. jeff

4. njl

njl

If your schedule permits, you ought to check out the weekly plate/pin matches at Beckwiths every wednesday evening. They open the range for practice at 5:30 and the match starts at 6:30pm. Match fee is $5 and lets you practice for an hour and compete in the match. It's alot of fun and a better deal than the regular range rates :) I did this for about a year and it definitely helped me improve. Unfortunately, my work hours conflict with that time now, and I haven't been able to go for the past 9 months.

5. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

I'll second going out for Pin night at Harry's. That is where I cut my teeth in competitive shooting, and hitting those 23 yrd. pins is still a challenge. If you can go 6 for 6 on those pins, you can shoot 5-to-Glock clean (I still can't do either).

You'll need 3 mags/speed loaders, and 54 rounds plus practice ammo. Bring your dots and comps if you've got them, because everyone shoots in the same division.

6. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

Hey I think I would be willing to do a little bit of traveling I need to practice I would be coming from the Orlando area.

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

8. njl

njl

I know...we're even shorter on time now.

I've been fighting off an upper respiratory bug for the past month. Two weeks ago, I thought I was better. Last weekend it slammed me again. I haven't even gotten around to registering for JAX yet.

Assuming I can get healthy again, it would have to be either the weekend of 12-28 or 1-4. The weekend of 1-11 definitely won't work. If neither of those happens, maybe between the JAX or ORL matches.