Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned several Walther ppk and ppk/s pistols during the years. I never had a problem that I can recall but went with something more powerful in 9mm due to the ppk weight to caliber. A local shop has a interarms ss ppk but damn its $799!! I don't care for the new ppk monstrosity with huge beavertail. Any opinions?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I carried a Interarms SS PPK/s a very long time ago.
I never had a issue with it.
The Cons....Sights and DA trigger pull.
The Pros.....It really paired up well with my tux!

Actually it carried very well.
As BAC stated,
Price seems a little high.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
A quick check of Gun Broker has two SS 380’s available.
One is just starting up at $550 no reserve and the other is $801.
I would say it all depends on the condition.

While I like my PPK (because Bond) I would carry a Sig 232 but that’s just me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As Bac said, better off with a pre 68 PPK.

I think the blue made in Germany marked PP and PPK/s were ok up to the late 70’s. I had one that was absolutely reliable and accurate with brass cased FMJ and I think WW Silvertips. It didn’t like aluminum or steel case though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The older ones are well made and elegant. I always enjoyed shooting mine.

With the availability of the 43, 43x, Shield, P365, and Hellcat, I don’t see a reason to carry one for defense though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Walther PP and PPK are really nice in the old blue steel versions, both pre and post WW2. These days are are too many really good options to bother picking up a new version despite the stainless steel. It’s a kicker in .380 and too heavy.

Their value these days is nostalgic not practical.

·
Registered
126,318 Posts
A quick check of Gun Broker has two SS 380’s available.
One is just starting up at $550 no reserve and the other is $801.
I would say it all depends on the condition.

While I like my PPK (because Bond) I would carry a Sig 232 but that’s just me.
The Sig P332 is a far better pistol. Not even close, in my opinion.

The PPK is ok as a 32ACP. I think it’s a poor platform in 380.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I had a stainless Interarms PPK .380, a West German police surplus PP in .32 and my father had a Manhurin PPK/s .380. Both the Manhurin and my PP were reliable, .380 with whatever my dad fed it, my PP with hardball. Only the .32 was pleasant to shoot.

My PPK was very finicky about anything but ball, had a heavy trigger, as they do, and was unpleasant to shoot. While it carried very well, I would not buy another.

I do carry a SIG 232 .380 and a Makarov, and prefer both to the PPK. For $700 + I'd try grabbing a nice surplus PP in .32, if you want a PP series gun.

Reactions: Gray Dood

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I had a stainless Interarms PPK .380, a West German police surplus PP in .32 and my father had a Manhurin PPK/s .380. Both the Manhurin and my PP were reliable, .380 with whatever my dad fed it, my PP with hardball. Only the .32 was pleasant to shoot.

My PPK was very finicky about anything but ball, had a heavy trigger, as they do, and was unpleasant to shoot. While it carried very well, I would not buy another.

I do carry a SIG 232 .380 and a Makarov, and prefer both to the PPK. For $700 + I'd try grabbing a nice surplus PP in .32, if you want a PP series gun.
I've owned the PPK in 380 and the PP in 32 as well.

The PP was a very accurate shooter and pleasant to shoot.

The PPK, not so much. Accurate yes. Pleasant no.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have been following recent sold prices on GunBroker for Interarms PPK pistols. Nice stainless ones are selling for $600-650. A really nice 380acp is currently at $930 with 36 bids. Last week a rare Interarms PPK in 32acp sold for $1550.

On GunBroker there is a glut of PPK/S and the S&W versions with the longer tail which nobody apparently wants.

·
NRA Life Member
2,705 Posts
My dad loved the Interarms PPK and PPK/s. I did a little horse trading with him for a PPK/s once. I found it to be well-made, accurate, and....unreliable. I had a bunch of .380 around and decided to shoot it a bit for break-in before messing with it further. It stopped jamming somewhere after the 300 round mark. Then my dad wanted to trade back for it. I wasn't particularly fond of it (every time I shot it, that slide cut my hands it was so sharp). He still has it as far as I know. I wouldn't have carried it, with so many better choices out there.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
I have been following recent sold prices on GunBroker for Interarms PPK pistols. Nice stainless ones are selling for $600-650. A really nice 380acp is currently at $930 with 36 bids. Last week a rare Interarms PPK in 32acp sold for $1550.

On GunBroker there is a glut of PPK/S and the S&W versions with the longer tail which nobody apparently wants.
In one of those very convoluted firearms transactions one gets involved in, I went through three SmithWalthers before I found one that was reliable. The others had a tendency to shed parts during firing. And part of that backing and forthing with the LGS ended up with my also acquiring a Smith 638 Bodyguard.

So I have one of those “can’t sell at any price” SmithWalthers.

WHICH.....I have gotten to really like! I can go faux-Bond and carry it or use it as a range toy. I get the fun of a PPK/s without the financial risk of trashing a real PPK/s if it gets stolen. It is kinda my own personal HiPoint PPK/s.

One of the really —special — aspects of my getting the SmithWalther was to see four guys huddled around three SmithWalthers discussing color preferences. I went with the black frame and gray slide, though IIRC, the dark blue slide was a strong contender.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts