Intel's purchase program

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hailstorm, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Well, any one else trying to figure out what to do? I mean, I bought a new case. I have to get a PSU,RAM,Vid card and harddrive. I do have a standard 20 pin 400 wat PSU.But,I don't no if I want to do that. The 2.8 D chip single thread scores really suck. SO,I was really thinking to get a board to OC a bit. I should be able to reach close to 3.2 on stock cooling from what I have read. Not to bad. What I am having issue with is.Should I just throw the sucker together with the intel board and let it be? It would be a decent machine for hatever. Teh PCI express is where I really want to see improvement. I do have a old school 9800XT running now and it works fine. I would like to mess with a 64 bit system. Something new to play with. Or, should I just sell it all and buy a new AGP vid and be done with it. the performance agins won't be that much for me. Infact.My current setup is faster. AAAHHHH. I don't know. Something new or beef up my vid card. Maybe buy some ammo with whats left. Whats the thought. I know I haven't heard to much about it online.

2. Toyman

Toyman

First, Start with a little less coffee.

Second, learn what the ENTER key does, and how it relates to a paragraph. :)

Then ask yourself if you can really tell the difference in a few milliseconds. Performance is highly susceptible to perception. For example, if you don't spend giga bucks on a really nice video card, it doesn't matter how fast the computer is, it's really only as fast as what you see on the screen.

Dollar for dollar, it's better to go with a few steps below the latest and greatest, and do it more often than going with the best of the best every so often. Often you'll pay 2 times more for the best thing out there, only to have a machine that is really not humanly percievable to be any faster. IE. 2.8 ghz vs 3.0 ghz.

3. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

I only drink one cup a day;)

I am a Tech, so I do have to keep up and stay ontop of the curve.Hence the purchase program.

My current specs are:
    CPU 3.2E cranking 3.7
    Motherboard ASUS P4P800 deluxe
    1 GIG Kingston Tech HyperX 512MB PC4000 Dual Channel
    Volcano +7 cpu cooler
    Radeon 9800XT / Arctic Silencer 460 clock 383 memory
    Maxtor 120 gig Hardrive ATA/133

Right now,the plan is get the purchase program. Sell everything I don't want.Basically,I will keep the CPU and XP pro 64bit for myself. Everything else,I have already software wise.

I would purchase a MOBO I can OC, tests indicate so far,3.2 can be reached on stock cooling.(safely)

Its not allways what you can percieve as different. Its the fact you have a up to date system. Granted my current system would kill this new machine still for single stream programs. I do want a 64 but system to play with for next gen stuff.

4. Toyman

Toyman

Only one cup a day? That's you're problem, it needs to be at least a pot a day. :)

What kind of Tech are you?

I've got almost the same system as you do, but I'm only running 2.4ghz. I write software, so I actually try to stay on the low end of stuff so I can test in a normal users environment, although I'm getting a bit tired of that and I think the next time I'll go on the high side of things and use my secondary test machines more.

I particularly like the ASUS boards, especially the P4P800, which was the most recent one I've built up. It's been the smoothest, easiest one to build ever, and I've been building them for 10 years.

I'm not a fan of anything INTEL other than the processors. Everything else they do (MB's, computers, cameras) are retarded.

5. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

"What kind of Tech are you?"

Well, I am the kind that mostly does Virus and spyware removal.Alot of Installs and upgrades. I would like to get into another company for sure. The one I am with (I won't mention names) sucks. Poor hours, You see I am posting at 9:22 am . Go in at 12 and get out at 8 tonight. I want something with better hours, I am working on getting into the morning shift stuff. get in at 7am is much better for me. More standard.

My strengths are:
    Diag of problems. (some people don't have a clue)
    Replacement of parts,no problem
    OS restore or repair. Oh I love chkdsk /r
    OS diag for issues.(hey why do you have 3 anti virus programs running?)
    Probly the thing I have not messed with enough is DOS and networking. Oh sure I have done basic stuff. But, I would like to know more.

Is your company hiring
    ;f