Intelligence Officials Warn Attempted Al Qaeda Attack Months Away

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Feb 3, 2010.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-warn-attempted-al-qaeda-attack-months-away/
    WASHINGTON -- Al Qaeda can be expected to attempt an attack on the United States in the next three to six months, senior U.S. intelligence officials told Congress Tuesday.

The terrorist organization is deploying operatives to the United States to carry out new attacks from inside the country, including "clean" recruits with a negligible trail of terrorist contacts, CIA Director Leon Panetta said. Al Qaeda is also inspiring homegrown extremists to trigger violence on their own, Panetta added.

The annual assessment of the nation's terror threats provided no startling new terror trends, but amplified growing concerns since the Christmas Day airline attack in Detroit that militants are growing harder to detect and moving more quickly in their plots.

"The biggest threat is not so much that we face an attack like 9/11. It is that Al Qaeda is adapting its methods in ways that oftentimes make it difficult to detect," Panetta told the Senate Intelligence Committee.
    Al Qaeda is increasingly relying on new recruits with minimal training and simple devices to carry out attacks, the CIA chief said as part of the annual assessment of national threats provided to Congress by the top five U.S. intelligence officials.

Panetta also warned of the danger of extremists acting alone: "It's the lone-wolf strategy that I think we have to pay attention to as the main threat to this country," he said.

The hearing comes just over a month since a failed attempt to bring down an airliner in Detroit by a Nigerian suspect. And the assessment follows only a few months since U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Hassan is accused of single-handedly attacking his fellow soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, killing 13.
    Director of National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair described Hassan as homegrown extremist. He also said that Al Qaeda can be expected to continue and try to attack the United States until Osama bin Laden and his No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, are dead.

The U.S. still does not know the intended targets of suspected terrorist Najibullah Zazi, who was arrested in September and charged with plotting to attack New York City with homemade bombs, Blair said.
    Blair warned as well of a growing cyber threat, saying computer-related attacks have become dynamic and malicious.

Obama has promised to make cyber security a priority in his administration, but the president's new budget asks for a decrease in funds for the Homeland Security Department's cybersecurity division.
    The government's first quadrennial homeland security review states high consequence and large-scale cyberattacks could massively disable or hurt international financial, commercial and physical infrastructure.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press, said these types of cyberattacks could cripple the movement of people and goods around the world and bring vital social and economic programs to a halt.

2. robertoh

robertoh

A possible "man caused disaster",-------Obama Administration.:whistling:

3. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

And between 2001 and 2008 would you have the belief about Bush?

Does it always have to be about partisan politics?

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Would anyone... ANYONE... care to bet that this very statement has NOT been made every three to six months to Congress for the past 9 years? I wouldn't.

Slow news day.

5. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Kinda what I was thinking when I read it. Scare tactics.. The only thing if they keep saying it and nothing happens when a real threat comes up no one will pay attention

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

But if they don't keep saying it and something does happen then they get dragged over the coals.

7. vafish

vafish

Just like the fortune tellers and psychics that give you vague statements of your future.

8. SanityAssassin

SanityAssassin

What, you want threads free of irrelevant obama comments? People need to vent their anger man!

Speaking of irrelevant comments....
    Al Qaeda can be expected to continue and try to attack until we turn over santa clause.

9. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Yeah it's a damn if you do, damn if you don't but 3- 6 months a big spread. If they say something could happen in 3-6 months and they don't stop it people are going to ***** anyway saying they knew.

Serious everyone needs to get on with their lives and just be vigilant. Now if they have credible intel that something is about to happen, maybe say something but then you open your self up a rope a dope. Leak false intel out so that it's reported and do something totally opposite.

For me, unless they have credible info that my sons school, the plane I'm about to get on is about to be blown up. I rather not hear about some possible threat 3-6 months with no specifics other than somethings up every time I turn around..geez a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time as they say...

10. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

If they keep repeating this enough, they'll eventually be right. Even a broken watch is correct twice/day.

It'll be interesting to see which rights and freedoms they go after 'in the name of safety' after the next go-round.

11. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

Unfortunately, the current administration does no inspire any confidence for me in terms of its ability to prevent any new attacks. The only confidence I have is in its ability to limit freedoms to "protect" the public.

12. rock_jock

rock_jock

Really? Because it has been a while since I remember the last specific warning. They have always emphasized that an attack COULD come at any time, but giving warnings with timeframes usually means they have picked up specific intelligence that leads in that direction.

And yes, it would be remiss if they had such intelligence and did not act on it. The alternative is we get hit and then the Internet is full of armchair commandos wailing about "why didn't they warn us?"

13. marlinfan

marlinfan

That's LOL funny since the only erosion of due process rights since 9/11 came from Bush/Cheney Incorporated and that POS Patriot Act.

14. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

I agree that the Patriot Act was a bad thing. Erosion of due process is bad stuff, but while they were doing that under Bush/Cheney, they did at least ensure a reasonably effective job of protecting the populace, although I will not credit the Patriot Act as having been neccesary to do that.

The current Administration, by contrast, does not inspire confidence as it apologizes to the world, bows to everyone, cancels programs related to national defense, and buys up (with borrowed money) significant portions of private sector business.

15. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Heard this (or similar) too many times in the past few years.

Eventually it will happen.

What I would like to know is how many attempted attacks against the USA have we actually prevented. If you watch NCIS or 24, one would think that there are attempted attacks on a weekly basis that are all stopped and covered-up by the government.

Would be interesting to know how many attacks have actually been attempted and prevented by the government. . . 20? 90? zero?

16. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

I would have been thrilled if they showed footage of the bloody, lifeless corpse of the 'underwear bomber' being offloaded from the plane, preferably with his underwear stuffed halfway down his throat.

17. dahahn

dahahn Guest

Good question. I'll bet the answer, whatever it is, would surprise me. You know what they say about the CIA: you always hear about their failures, but never their successes.

Sounds to me like a scare tactic, but I don't know. Britain just last week upped their threat level to "Extreme." Maybe there's something to it, but I'll remain skeptical. The idiot who tried to blow up that plane in Detroit on Christmas day does not count, so if it's morons like that then we can all sleep well.

18. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Obama Administration= man caused disaster!!!

19. Bruce H

Bruce H

With what we have for intelligence capibilities in the United States I expect an attack every damn day. It isn't if or when, but how big and what kind.

20. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

It's almost like the Obama nation wants us to be attacked again. I hope this is not true.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010